American Idol March 22nd and 23rd! | Golden Skate

American Idol March 22nd and 23rd!

Tereza

Match Penalty
On a quick note I am sk8rgurl at FSU and I posted there the same subject, so I decided to post it here because I am so freaking exited about American Idol this week.

So who do you all think is going to go this week?!? I think Mikalah is gonna go. I don't think Scott would last for more than... 4 more weeks the most. There are factors weighing against him.

(1.) We already had an obese male winner.
(2.) He has poor personality traits, if he has any personality.
(3.) His voice isn't that great, nothing really special.

I think the producers want Bo and Carrie in the finale. It is obvious they want a male and a female in the Final 2. Because last year they had two girls, the year before they had two guys. So they want a male/female finale, and what they want usually goes, so expect a male/female finale. I hope so, it better be that way. I personally want to see Nadia/Bo Finale.... so keep on powerdialing for Nadia because she in amazing all in captial letters..... :agree:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I don't think Makaylah will be the next American Idol, but she DOES deserve an important prize for providing all this entertainment. I nominate Makaylah (however you spell it!) for the Tammy Fay Baker Consolation Prize.

DG

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I think the final four will consist of 3 men & 1 woman. Who? It all depends on who is willing to stick around & sign the all consuming contracts that 19 Entertainment apparently insists these kids sign.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Theme: Number Ones Still no guest judge.

Carrie - Heart "Alone" Excellent! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: Simon predicts that she will win AI and have better record sales than any other AI

Jesssica - Bonnie Tyler "Total Eclipse of the Heart" not quite as good as carrie but still very good:rock: :rock:

Vonzell - The Emotions "Best of My Love" her best so far

Scott - Phil Collins "Against All Odds" another good performance, could have done without throwing off the glasses

BO - Jim Croce "Time In a Bottle" Nice job, a more sensitive Bo. I prefer :rock: Bo. BTW, he was wearing two of the crosses that fell out of Shizuka';s LP dress

Anwar - Chaka Khan "Ain't Nobody" not my favorite Anwar performance

Anthony - George Micheal/Aretha "I Knew You Were Waiting" very good

Nadia - Cyndi Lauper "Time After Time" looked like the love child of Cyndi and Cher :eek: :eek: :eek: just OK has done better Her movement did not match the tone of the song

Nikko - Cisco "Incomplete" OK

Constantine - David Cassisdy (no that was not a typo) "I Think I Love You" he seems to be going downhill each week

Mikayla - Taylor Dane "Love Will Lead You Back" HORRIBLE I was pulling for Mikayla to do well but this was just awful this song should lead her HOME

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Wow.......I had a different take on the performances tonight. I tried to be objective, even placing my favorite Nadia pretty low on the list:

1. Vonzell....thought she nailed it and then sold it...

2. Carrie.....powerful voice and a good performance....will she sell more than Kelly and Clay.......who knows?

3. Bo.......Love him, love his voice and will buy his album.....

4. Anthony......didn't care for his song choice, but he's got talent and appeal.....

5. Constantine......I liked his rocker version of the Partridge Family song.......

6.Jessica......solid performance, nothing special....

7.Nikko........not crazy about his voice, still good performance...

8.Scott.......good voice, o.k. performer........I don't see the audience appeal.....

9. Anway....strong ending.......don't see the big "whoop" with him......

10. Nadia...........this hurt, she's my fav. Didn't like the Lauper version either.

11. Mikalah........can you say bye-bye? 42

I like Bo better every week. Although who knows who the final two will be (remember all the great singer/performers who've been voted off before their time in past years), I'd love to hear Bo and Carrie sing a duet. As Piel said once, a little bit country, a little bit rock 'n roll. Actually, I like her better I little bit rock 'n roll. Seriously, I think their voices and styles would complement each other and make an interesting combination.

Nadia: I think she could have done really well with a more subdued version of "Time After Time," but not a 1985 Madonna version. With #1 Hit week and her taste for the "artsy-fartsy" it would have been a great time for her to pull out "Psycho Killer."

Constantine: I kind of liked "I Think I Love You." It had some cool moments, at least for me. Bizarre, but I dug 'em.

Did my "close my eyes" thing for Scott. First time he didn't sound good. What gory taste in songs.

Anwar: A great voice in search of a style. I've seen it happen to a lot of young teachers in dance who are also good dancers. They teach so many styles they cancel themselves out.

Vonzell: "Best of My Love" not great, but bad. There's something too girly, doe-eyed, and naive by half about her for my taste.

Nikko: No go.

Mikalah: Must go.

Can the judges even HEAR from onstage?! I mean, Randy's comment to Mikalah, "A little pitchy." A little?!!! That was two cats scr**ing off-key. That was an "ah-ooooooooo!!!" howling dog off-key. Even the one or two places she was on key sounded awful. I know there's a "Mikalah" every year, but I really think she's been the worst. Really, REALLY can't sing. And the Fran Drescher bit went from wearing thin to worn out in the time it took her to "do" that song.

Is there anybody Paula Abdul isn't rooting for? She's for everybody, no matter how they sing, which renders her comments meaningless. I don't blame Simon for not wanting her cooties.

"Give me the Cowl, boys, and free my ears/
The show shouldn't leave me in pain and tears."

Piel said:
...BTW, [Bo] was wearing two of the crosses that fell out of Shizuka's LP dress.
:rofl: :clap: :rofl: I swear, there's a Piel gene for lines like that. I hope they never isolate it so rich people can afford it. You should only be born like that. You and Rgal, let 'em rip, make my day.

Rgirl

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Piel and RGal - you are BOTH a riot!!!!

MAN did Carrie have her A game on. I've always agreed that she has quite a voice, but that voice was getting lost in the pack for me with her previous performances. New game starting last night, and I hope she keeps it up.

Bo is absolutely solidifying is place at the top of the man pack for me. While I prefer his more upbeat rock performances, he certainly proved he can do the softer side too.

Jessica I thought was also good last night.

Nadia!!! You let me down girl!!! Hope she can pick it back up next week.

My least favorite man is emerging as Anthony. He has a good voice, but isn't hitting any home runs for me.

ITA Mikayla's time has come. Entertainment value is one thing, but GEEZ last night she made my ears hurt. Can't take any more of that.

It will be interesting to see who actually gets the boot tonight.

DG

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Doggygirl said:
It will be interesting to see who actually gets the boot tonight.

DG

Reportedly no one is getting the boot tonight. There was a screw-up in the telephone numbers displayed at the very end of the show during the recap. The last three performers (Mikalah, Anwar and Jessica) had wrong numbers displayed (should have been 09, 10, 11. But instead was displayed as 01, 02, 03).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59259-2005Mar23.html

So they will re-air the episode and do the voting over tonight, with the results show on Thursday.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Nadia - Cyndi Lauper "Time After Time" looked like the love child of Cyndi and Cher :eek: :eek: :eek: just OK has done better Her movement did not match the tone of the song.

Actually, I thought she looked like a ROOSTER with that hideous hairdo. As for her movements, she kept crouching like she was about to lay an egg! (And she DID with that performance!) :biggrin:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Reportedly no one is getting the boot tonight. There was a screw-up in the telephone numbers displayed at the very end of the show during the recap. The last three performers (Mikalah, Anwar and Jessica) had wrong numbers displayed (should have been 09, 10, 11. But instead was displayed as 01, 02, 03).

Sandee.............Well, that's a major screw-up. I won't be home tonight to revote and I'm sure that will change the vote count big time for others as well..........42

Wow on the phone number screw up...thanks for letting us know about that, Sandee.
I'll make a few comments and then list in order of my preference of best to worst:
Constantine doing "I Think I Love You"...I think it was a brave choice, it was pure FUN and I'm surprised Simon didn't bash the he** out of him for doing it.
Jessica, best of the night, I don't know why I didn't notice her sooner unless her best is just coming out during these finals.
Carrie has a good voice for doing Heart songs, good job! Liked her new hair.
Hated Nadia's new hair. Thought she and Anwar had their poorest showings this week.
I still can't stand Mikalah--nuff said on that.
Best to Worst 3/22 show:
Jessica
Bo
Vonzell
Constantine
Carrie
Anthony
Scott
Nadia
Anwar
Nikko
Mikalah

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
IMO, last night was terrific overall; even the people who were a little off were pretty good. With ONE notable exception -- but she wasn't just a LITTLE off, she was WAY off....

Anthony -- It took me a while to figure out how I felt about this one."I Knew You Were Waiting For Me" being my all-time favorite duet, my initial reaction was, well, that was just OK. Thinking back on it, tho, he did have the beginnings of a pretty good George Michael thing going on; he certainly did hit the right notes and when one does George Michael, that ain't easy. He's no Aretha, tho, but then again, who is??

Carrie -- Wow. Where did THAT come from??? Absolutely fantastic!! The judges are always talking about "stepping outside your comfort zone" and she certainly did that, showing more range than I would have expected. The best performance of the season so far IMO.

Scott -- This wasn't bad, but a little uneven. He's basically got a great voice, he just needs to train it a little better.

Bo -- This, from a "style departure" standpoint, kind of reminded me of when Fantasia went out and did "Summertime" last year. And while it wasn't quite up to THAT (no AI performance before or since even comes close, IMO), it was still excellent. I'm thinking he just might win this thing.

Nikko -- I don't like that song to begin with, but he did OK with it and at least didn't make it any worse. And bonus points for keeping his hands above the beltline this week.

Vonzell -- Quite good, but vocally it could have used a little more energy.

Constantine -- On paper, it was a bizarre combination of singer and song, but actually, for me, it made sense. I can easily see him as a grunge David Cassidy. I do agree with Randy that it was a little over the top, but, then again, when you boil it down, so's the song. Nicely done; this was the first week that he's impressed me at all.

Nadia -- THAT HAIR!! YEEP!! Had to agree with Simon on this one -- very 80s Carnival Cruise Revue. Well sung, interesting interpretation, but I think she would have done better to just sing it straight instead of trying to rock it up.

Mikalah -- Having her come out at this point reminded me of a few men's competitions from the mid to late 90s -- everyone skates pretty well, Elvis comes out and is incredible, Todd comes out and is terrific -- then out comes Alexei Urmanov to kill the momentum. I can't figure out if this chick really and truly CANNOT SING, or it just SEEMS she CANNOT SING because she's trying to do so many weird things with her voice that it covers up the fact that she actually CAN. Whatever the problem, she's gotta go because she proved last night that she doesn't belong there. And that rather snippy passive-aggressive comment about being in the bottom 3 last week didn't win points with me either.

Anwar -- I give him a lot of points for having the guts to choose "Ain't Nobody" because it was an unusual, risky choice. He doesn't have the right kind of voice to carry it off, though. Then again, I'm more than a bit biased as I think Chaka Khan is a True Original.

Jessica -- This should have worked, but didn't. She has the voice for it, but -- First of all, the arrangement was entirely too slapdash and choppy. Secondly, I had the same problem with this as I did with Carrie last week -- where was the emotion? If you're going to choose a song that features possibly the most emotionally overwrought vocal performance in the history of pop music (I actually mean that as a compliment in this case), then get at least a little emotional.

The best -- Carrie and Bo
The worst -- Jessica and (by about 10 miles) Mikalah

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
It's interesting to compare our rankings from last night's performance. We're basically all over the place with some of our top three choices being the bottom three for others. Should be one heck of a final.............42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
I like Bo better every week. Although who knows who the final two will be (remember all the great singer/performers who've been voted off before their time in past years), I'd love to hear Bo and Carrie sing a duet. As Piel said once, a little bit country, a little bit rock 'n roll. Actually, I like her better I little bit rock 'n roll. Seriously, I think their voices and styles would complement each other and make an interesting combination.

That would be an AWESOME duet!!!

Bo and Carrie are my favorites this season... it'd be awesome if they ended up one and two this year... but who knows lol

my bottom three:
Mikailah, Constantine, and Nikko

Nadia and Anthony could go into the bottom 3 and I wouldn't be upset though...

the only thing cool about Nadia's performance was her hair... her hair is AWESOME! LOL :rock:

I don't think Bo would have a hard time singing any song... and I love that he's a rocker with a soft heart... dedicating a song to his mom... awwwwwwwwwwww

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
on the phone thing: my brother tried to vote for Anwar (he loves Anwar LOL) but all he got was a beeping noise.. not like when a phone is busy... but the beeping that happens when you have the phone off the hook but haven't done anything for a while (you know what I mean, right? LOL) my guess is they gave up by the time it was shown on the west coast

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm in the Mountain time zone, Toni & we have something strange to deal with every week. The show airs here at 6 pm but we can't vote until 8-10pm. We just get busy signals for everyone from 7-8pm.
My take on the performances:
1-Carrie, excellent
2-Anthony, love his voice & style
3-Scott, 1st time I was impressed by him.
4-Jessica, powerful voice
5-Bo, he's great, week after week

6-Vonselle, very good
7-Constantine, not my favorite but he has his moments.

8-Anwar, very disappointing performance
9-Nadia, last week my favorite, this week down towards the bottom of my list.
10-Nikko, I find him to be a very ordinary, run of the mill type singer.

11-micalah, I actually left the room she was soooooo bad!

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
It is natural for us as skating fans to LOVE AI.

I also enjoy AI as one of my few guilty, time-away-from-work-home-relationship-skating, pleasures. I also like Survivor and The Apprentice---the competition shows. I even watched (as a guilty pleasure) The Swan and The Biggest Loser. I feel I have some taste in that I never got drawn into The Bachelor and other romance-based reality shows, and I never was drawn into The Race or Lost either. But, I digress.

More digressing....I love scribbling down my thoughts here (typing is more natural for me now than handwriting) in "Le Cafe" because I also love the times of day when I sit to have coffee, read, etc., which for me are early, early mornings and in late afternoons. I am enjoying a cuppa right now, actually. (_)o or [_]o are cool icons for a nice cup of coffee.

American Idol is very much like a Figure Skating event. There is the technical vocal skills aspect, the presentation aspect and the performance aspect all leading up to the goal of entertainment and enjoyment. Hence, both are also subjective. In the case of AI, it is strictly a popularity contest, but great vocals technically can increase your popularity. The winner only need be popular, and talent is, in the long run, secondary.

I watch the show and have kept this year's programs on DVD. Certain performances and people stand right out from the beginning because they are original, rather than good "cover" singers and "imitators", they usually have charisma and an inner confidence in their abilities and knowledge of how they sound to the outside world. Nadia, Bo, Carrie, Jessica and Anwar all demonstrated this from the beginning, Jessica the least and Bo/Nadia the most. I picked them from the first auditions as the best 5.

The final 12/13 can be assessed both technically and artistically, and we can now use the defunct 6.0 system, because it is no longer copy written by the ISU!

Mario Vasquez: 5.4/5.6 He was good vocally in a limited range and style, and was a better performer than he was vocally. He left, but I think he would have not made the top 5 due to lack of versatility/vocal mastery to sing anything.

Nikko Smith: 5.4/5.2 Nikko is good vocally in a limited vocal range and style, and he is not star material in originality or performance. He is, right now, a "cover singer", mimicking other people's songs pretty well in a limited scope. I think he will be in the bottom 3 this week unless the baseball fans vote him in (his Dad was a multi-All Star in voting).

Lindsey Cardinale: 5.4/4.8 This girl with a great tone and voice was dull, dull dull , and even a bit dull. She was so boring that her strong talent couldn't carry her through, and her confidence was crushed by Simon. She could have lasted longer, but not the top 5, so who cares when she goes?

Scott Savol: 5.3/5.2 This big guy has the pseudo hip-hop, underdog circumstance. He has a good voice and her performs fairly well with little sign of stage fright, but his appearance and attitude really hamper him, as he isn't lovable, sexy or much to look at as eye-candy. He will go home before final 5 as well.

Anthony Federov: 5.6/5.5 This young fellow has a beautiful voice at age 19 that is perfect for Adult Contemporary music hits, and tenny bopper love songs. I doubt his versatility in being able to sing any style. He is very staged in his presentation and we have yet to see the real Anthony yet. He is still immature as a performer, but great potential for a career in a certain genre. He will make the top 6.

Vonzell Soloman: 5.4/5.4 This young woman has good vocal skills and is learning to perform. She isn't near her full potential yet, and she needs continued confidence in showing us her personality. I like her, but she will not make the top 5. She is a nice "cover band" singer right now.

Mikahla Gordon: 5.1/5.2 This young girl was ruined by whomever was coaching her. Did she actually believe that a knowledgable segment of the audience (particularly men who adore Barbara Streisand) would not recognize the plagerism of style and song choice. It took Paula Abdul 6 weeks to say it on the show, but it was recognizable from the second the cameras turned on her. The hair style, sweater/slacks and stool singing "Somewhere" trying to be Streisand was ghastly. To think it would be seen as "original" would have been stupidity. Also, from the auditions to the Final 24, she turned into Fran Drescher's little sister. Also, the girl has weird singing pronounciation and I can't understand the words. Twice I think she ate her microphone while singing. Her "Love Will Lead You Back" was like "love" leading you back to the free clinic for a shot of Pennicillin. Please go home Mikahla.

Constantine Maroulis: 5.2/5.6 Constantine might make the final 6 due to his presentation. But I have heard so many garage bands and local music of this type over the years that I must agree 100% with Simon that Constantine is NOT original at all, and his vocals are NOT a cut above the rest of his genre. If it was, he wouldn't still be in a garage. But, he is himself up there, and he's OK because he seems comfortable performing.

Anwar Robinson: 5.7/5.6 He will make the top 5, but he has a very self conscious presentation, and seems wooden up there. He has great vocals, but not the best vocals, in the competition. His style is yet to emerge, so I don't see him with a big enough fanbase to grow on to win, but he will push the others.

Jessica Sierra: 5.7/5.7 She has a great voice in her young self, and I think she could potentially outsing Carrie. If she does this early one, two or three times, she could make the top 3, but I think she will be 4th. Her presentation is still gaining confidence, and this wil bring out her originality, if she has any.

Nadia Turner: 5.7/5.9 She is an original with a great, unique sounding voice and good skills. She has shown great presentation in the rock genre, but also wore make up and a cocktail dress another night and looked great. She is so original and different she will make fans who will vote no matter what she sings, waiting to hear her rock the house. She will stay a long time, I think to #3.

Carrie Underwood: 5.8/5.9 She also has her own voice and style and is a great singer. The presentation she has now is natural and very appealing, and she is very likable. She will push to the top and be #2.

Bo Bice: 5.8/6.0 He is original, himself and a seasoned performer gaining fans by performing very well week afer week after week. When has he ever sounded pitchy or bad? When has he been anything but professional while on the stage? He is the best, and he is close to being the most popular. I think he will win.

Predictions, then, by the 6.0 system for me:
Lindsey 5.4/4.8 = 10.2
Mikahla 5.1/5.2 = 10.3
Scott 5.3/5.2 = 10.5
Nikko 5.4/5.2 = 10.6
Vonzell 5.4/5.4 = 10.8
Constantine 5.2/5.6 = 10.8 (ahead on presentation mark)
Anthony 5.6/5.5 = 11.1
Anwar 5.7/5.6 = 11.3
Jessica 5.7/5.7 = 11.4
Nadia 5.7/5.9 = 11.6
Carrie 5.8/5.9 = 11.7
Bo 5.8/6.0 = 11.8

That was fun to do!

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Great post, ChiSk8Fan!

I missed several early performances last night but caught them tonight. You know, I thought Scott was terrific. His voice is superb; he really moved me. He's one of the only ones who sings HONESTLY. I love that in a singer. I couldn't care less that he's not Mr. Warmth when he's talking. He communicates so much better through song. Isn't that what really counts? Well, in my book, it does.
:love: