Favorite / Least Favorite Performances 2004/2005 | Golden Skate

Favorite / Least Favorite Performances 2004/2005

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
What are yours for this season?

Favorites:

Ladies - Fumie's LP from 4CC. Love the program, the choreo, the costume. Something unique! Not just the same old stuff to different tunes.

Men's - Johnny's from one of the mid-season GP's (TEB maybe??) when he was SO "on" with Otonal that he brought me to tears. Unfortunately, the program seems to lose it's magic pretty fast if he's the least bit off as he was at Nats / Worlds.

Pairs - T&M Ave Maria from World's - Tears again!

Dance - I follow this category the least so my choices here aren't very well thought out. But...I guess I have to root for the home team and say B&A's FD from Worlds.

Exhibition - Buttle's Ave Maria from Worlds. Can't wait to see what sorts of programs this guy comes up with in years to come!

Worst:

Ladies - MK's QR at Worlds. I was speechless when I saw that. I'm glad she redeemed herself a bit in the SP and LP.

Men's - Joubert's 1492 at pretty much every competition. He is really a talented guy, and I hope he can find music he is comfortable with, and find his own unique style for next year. And while he's searching for all that, maybe keep his eye out for a better costume designer.

Pairs - O/S - They obviously have loads of trick talent and bravery, but I disliked their programs all across the board this season.

Dance - (once again, my weakest dicipline!) - whichever couple it was doing that Native American thing for their FD.

Exhibition - B&A Green Acres. BLEH.

I had to resist temptation to include my runner ups...but I managed not to, at least for now. :rock:

Yours?

DG

Last edited:

Linny

Final Flight
Least Favorite

Denk/Stav's African thang... the program that, IMO, caused them to drop down. Their execution was pretty good, but it ends up with her upside-down in a split and his nose right where it should only be in private.
Linny

emma

Record Breaker
I pretty much agree with everything DG said. I would just add a few things: first, I did really really like B/A's free dance (but green acers...yucky)...so much more than last year too, but I also thought that the AFrican dance was super interesting and innovative (minus perhaps some of the fairly gross lifts that many others are doing too), and I just loved the Bronze medalist FD (blanking momentarily on dance partners names). And about dance, as much as the champions are undoubtedly champions, I haven't liked this Tosca performance all year (the cut of the music and the execution of elements just doesn't do it for me), but I can see how they are superb skaters.

Pairs: I would add that S/Z's Soong sisters was among my favorite of the season, but maybe not (at least yet) my favorite of theirs. I also really really loved butterfly lovers of P/T...but hope that she can improve some of her positions/extension and finish off moves better. I also thought the Zhangs program was interesting...not a 'i looooooooooooove it' but interesting. T/M I think had great programs too. The Russians with all the tricks O/S is it?....their program scares me...fascinating to watch the tricks...but scary and doesn't do it for me...worst? maybe not quite that bad but certainly not a fav. Finally, only saw them at worlds but F and ?? (japenese woman - canadian pair)...OMG what a beautiful program....i loved it; definitely a fav of this season, even though i only saw it once.

Men: Weir and buttle programs...all of them this year (short, longs, exhibitions), compete in my head for favorites. I was also really getting into Plushy's godfather (there are things about tribute to N last year I love too)...but this was growing on me quite a lot; among the fav. I can't say that Lambiel's programs were my fav...but MY GOD i could just watch him over and over...it's like I can't really talk about the program the way I might for, say, Buttle...but the effect...wow... Least fav...not quite sure yet: i actually don't like Tim's much at all (but it might just be the music)...just appreciate him coming back; Li and Joubert are just such great jumpers....but their programs leave me, bleh...so maybe those.

Women: usually the group i am most opinionated about...but not sure about fav and least fav yet: definitely Bolero was not the bomb (might have been/could have been....who knows, without the actual Dean Choreography I can't say); Fumie and Shizuka, IMHO, had awesome programs...so yes, they are favs despite some flawed performances; I didn't see Rochette's Candadians, but from descriptions of that and seeing versions of Firebird, that might be a fav of mine too. Least fav: well....I guess Bolero, but also, despite her brilliance, i didn't love Sasha's long...Loved some elements (particularly and as usual the awesome spins)...but the program did not grab me like some of hers do; other than that, i think i'm more underwhelmed by women's this year, and more in awe of the men and their programs/creativity.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hey Emma...

In reading your post I think I have to nominate Tim for a special award. I've always liked his *public* personality, and admired his jumps (before he sort of lost them). I was always rooting for him to find his artistic side.

He did something that to me anyway, was very innovative choreo wise this year. Opened his SP with footwork. That was a WOW moment for me. As the guy who you would least expect to do something really different, it was WOW. Even the best choreographed competitive programs typically follow a predictable sequence of elements. So I give Tim HUGE props for that. I wish he could have performed his best at Worlds. Not meant to be I guess. I hope he finds his jumps again, and gives us more enjoyment in the years to come.

DG

emma

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
(Tim...)
He did something that to me anyway, was very innovative choreo wise this year. Opened his SP with footwork. That was a WOW moment for me. As the guy who you would least expect to do something really different, it was WOW. Even the best choreographed competitive programs typically follow a predictable sequence of elements. So I give Tim HUGE props for that. I wish he could have performed his best at Worlds. Not meant to be I guess. I hope he finds his jumps again, and gives us more enjoyment in the years to come.

DG

You are so right about that....I had completely forgotten about his SP...that was a really interesting way to start the program....and like many have noted, he did have much improvement in the artistry/posture/line side this year...so good for him!!! And I do wish him much luck for next year. (still don't like the Long though).

rain

Record Breaker
Favorites:

Jeff Buttle LP from Canadian championships

Joannie Rochette LP from Canadian championships - the best ladies LP I saw all year

Delobel and Schoenfelder free dance from worlds - it was magical - I've already watched it about six times

Belbin and Agosto free dance from worlds - loved the gypsy theme

Dubreuil and Lauzon free dance worlds - I adored this program and thought it was underrated all season

Dubreuil and Lauzon original dance from Canadians, second only perhaps to their exhibition to the same Singin in the Rain music - it was absolute magic - wish the world could have seen that skate

Wakamatsu and Fecteau pairs SP from Canadians - that was a landmark skate from them

Sasha Cohen SP and FS from worlds - she's one of my favs and had the fire

Pang and Tong butterfly lovers from worlds - totally thought they should have been bronze

Least favs:
Obertas and Slavnov FS from worlds - sloppy, ugly and jarring music, not to mention the hideous costumes - just all in all a really bad idea

Denkova and Staviski FD - any performance

Joubert's painful free skate

Cynthia Phaneuf's meltdowns at Canadians and worlds were painful

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
ITA on that long....

emma said:
You are so right about that....I had completely forgotten about his SP...that was a really interesting way to start the program....and like many have noted, he did have much improvement in the artistry/posture/line side this year...so good for him!!! And I do wish him much luck for next year. (still don't like the Long though).

LOL, and I love Queen just to listen to, but not for LP's. IMO, he should keep his SP and just continue developing that, and PLEASE a new LP. :)

DG

Last edited:

Antilles

Medalist
Favourites:

D&L OD and FD, Del&Shoe FD ( I liked the earlier versions better than Worlds), B&A FD, Lefebvre&Markov OD.
Rochette's Firebird, Suguri's program where she pops up in front of the judges at the end (I think it was her LP).
Buttle's FD, Lysacek's FD,a nd what I saw of it, Plushenko's FD.
T&M's SP, W&F, both SP and LP.

Least favourites:

N&K FD, G&G FD, Kerrs FD
Kwan's Bolero
Joubert's LP, Li's LP, Griazev LP
O&S LP, Pang&Tong LP, Z&Z LP

Courtneysk8s

Match Penalty
Favorite ladies: Irina's LP
Least favorite ladies: Sasha's freaking Nutcracker. I HATE that program! It is supposed to be a Pas de Deux, what part of that does she not understand? Plus its waaaaaaaaaaaaay to front-loaded. I sure hope she doesn't keep this one for another year.

Favorite pairs: T&M's Ave Maria. Such a lovely program for them.
least favorite pairs: O&S new LP. I adore O&S, but this program is way to frantic, and just a lot of difficult elements tossed together. I hope they find something better for next year.

Favorite Dance. Its a tie between G&P's "Chicago" OD and D&S(fra) "Freida" FD. Love 'em both.

Didn't watch enough of the men to pick a favorite or least favorite.

brad640

On the Ice
Best: Matt Savoie’s SP at Nationals
I didn’t see Matt during the Grand Prix, so this was the first I saw of his artistic transformation. Until this, I think his best remembered program was the Ragtime LP he used in 03 and 04 (which I also loved), but now I think Adagio for Strings will be one of his best remembered programs. From Dick Button at the end: “The audience is standing and I will, too. He is one of the most sensitive skaters, the most beautiful line. The work of Tom Dickson, his choreographer, first rate. It follows through from beginning to end. Ah, that’s wonderful!” I don’t know if Matt was expressing a tragedy he had suffered in his life or if he is just a great actor. If anyone knows what the inspiration was for this program and choreography I would love to know.
I was mad at the judges for putting him in 4th place after that, and giving 6.0’s to Johnny and Evan for less than perfect programs. I think that the judges underscored Matt because he has always given his best at nationals and then made mistakes at worlds. I think they wanted to put Evan on the world team even though his programs were much weaker artistically. Evan somewhat justified their decision at 4CC by winning where Matt fell on his triple axels and finished 5th, but I think it is clear from comparing the performances at nationals that Matt should have at least gotten the bronze medal based only on the performances in that competition.
I still have hope that Matt will make the Olympic team next year, but either way, I think he will be a great show skater.

Worst: Those who didn't care or lost interest
Joubert, Shizuka. Life is too short to waste your time doing something you don't want to do.

screech

Final Flight
Faves:
Jeff Buttle - all season his programs were performed beautifully. His LP at Canadians and SP at Worlds would have to be the absolutel highlights for me though

Joannie Rochette - her Firebird LP was gorgeous (especially at Canadians) and her SP was very underrated

Sasha Cohen - she skated both programs brilliantly at Worlds

Marie France Dubreil/Patrice Lauzon - their OD was my absolute favourite all season

Delobel/Schoenfelder - their FD at Worlds was undermarked

Wakamatsu/Fecteau - their programs were absolutely stunning. I really hope they decide to stick it out, despite the obvious issues

LEAST FAVE
Michelle Kwan - Bolero. nuff said

Brian Joubert - 1492 was a dissapointment

Cynthia Phaneuf - if this girl would get her head in the game she would be brilliant.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Favorites
Matt Savoie
Buttle
Clair de Lune- Shen and Zhou
Ave Maria and Shez- T/M
Dark Eyes Sasha
Firebird- Joannie
Beatrisa Liang's programs
Tango percussion/Carmen: Even the disastors at the beginning of the season showed potential

Worst:
Bolero: Was entertaining at Campbell but should have been chacked right after.
1492: I expected better
The Soong Sisters: Does improve after the first minute but I still didn't get it.
Queen Melody
Beatles Elevator Music: Hard to belive Lori Nichol was behind these to programs
Bach to Africa: I was embaressed for them

Best Improvement
N/K- Tosca

WORST PROGRAM OF THE SEASON
ESPN- I am still waiting to see about half the short programs out there. Plus it hard to comprehend the placements at competitions when many of the skaters aren't even shown.

shine

Record Breaker
Best: Matt Savoie SP at Nats, Stephane Lambiel SP at Worlds, Suguri LP at 4CC

icedancer2

Rinkside
shine said:
Best: Matt Savoie SP at Nats, Stephane Lambiel SP at Worlds, Suguri LP at 4CC

I would definitely put MAtt Savoie's SP at Nats in big letters at the top of this list, but you have matched my favorites this year!! I could watch that and Lambiel's SP over and over again for the rest of my life!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am going to try as best I can to keep 'programs, separatefrom how the skaters performed them.

Favorites:
Tim's SP, which he performed best at Nationals. Different choreo, and at Nats real emotion and crowd connection. What an improvement for Tim!!!
Can you imagine in any other year anyone but a rabid Tim fan saying a program of his was one of the best of the year? Nuff said.

Johnny's SP, best performed at NHK. Perfect and smooth as butter. Vintage Johnny.

Matt's SP at Nationals, for reasons others have stated.

T&M's Ave Maria SP, especially at Europeans. Just lovely.

S&Z's Soong Sisters, best earlier in the year...Cup of China, maybe?

I&B's Beehoven's last night LP-but only their GPF performance showed what this could really be (I like Tchernyshev's program, but not always I&B's performance of it) The step and spiral sequences are particularly good at Worlds. Check them out from your world's tape-both lev. 2.

Wakamatsu and Fecteau's SP and LP at canadians were very good too.

I really can't say any of the ladies' programs rang my bell that much. Irina's LP performance at Worlds was wonderful, but I don't really like the program, particularly the plate passing sequence. Maybe Shizuka's LP program-but she never performed enough of it well for us to tell. The first minute or so was great. Sasha's SP was well performed at World's too. Standard Sasha, but she seemed to relate to that piece of music better. OH A vote for Emily Hughes's Jr. Worlds LP...good on you, Emily.

Grushina/Goncharov's OD-why? I dunno. It helps to be married.

Belbin / Agosto's Gypsy Dance Shadritsa. This was dancing, allbeit folk dancing, and really seemed to suit them. The speed and change of pace stuff was very nice.

Non Favorites
O&S's totally despicable Truman Show program, worst at GPF and COR. Top nominee for worst program any discipline of the year.

Joubert's 1492, particularly at the GPF. Terrible costumes (both of them) and Brian seemed to hate this program as much as I did.l

Carolina's wood nymph LP--too much like a 10 year old's ballet recital. Fairy in the woods my foot.. Well performed at World's though.

Michelle's Bolero revisited. Like Brian, she tinkered endlessly with this program but never really got into it.

Sasha's Nutcracker. Enough with the trite music Sasha. Get some music you can skate TO rather than THROUGH for the LP.

Rochette's LP Firebird for crying out loud. Lots of people like this, but it bores me to tears.

I didn't really hate any of the dances enough for them to make this list...maybe the Kerr's Justin Timberlake number, though.

Buttle's I get rewarded for hard choreo that I fall down doing programs. I wish Jeff had programs he could skate to without falling...it's so jarring to know at the start of the program that there will be painful interruptions some time in th eprogram.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Love Johnny's Otonal Program

Doggygirl said:
What are yours for this season?
Favorites:
Men's - Johnny's from one of the mid-season GP's (TEB maybe??) when he was SO "on" with Otonal that he brought me to tears. Unfortunately, the program seems to lose it's magic pretty fast if he's the least bit off as he was at Nats / Worlds.DG
DG, what is TEB? My mind is a blank as to which comp you're talking about. Anyhow I just love Johnny's Otonal program, :clap: I get goosebumps when he does his straightline footwork. :love:

Dee

Hikaru

Final Flight
Dee4707 said:
DG, what is TEB? My mind is a blank as to which comp you're talking about. Anyhow I just love Johnny's Otonal program, :clap: I get goosebumps when he does his straightline footwork. :love:

Dee
I think it means Trophee Eric Bompard, known in the past as Trophee Lalique.

I also LOVE Johnny's footwork!!!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'll bet the Otonal performance that brought you to tears was the one Johnny did at NHK. The TEB one was good, but I thought NHK was better!

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Due to equipment problems and time issues, I haven't seen nearly enough to make my picks! Thankfully, the equipment issues are history. I have a new TV and a VCR/DVD combo and the tapes my mother was kind enough to make for me. Time is still an issue, but I have the whole off season to catch up. It will all be new to me!

Kasey

Medalist
Being biased, my fave SP was Griazev at Worlds, and his LP at Euros was quite "up there" with my faves as well, even though it wasn't perfect. It's nice to see your favorites do well.

Fave LP would probably be Plush at GPF....best energy and most "on" he was all season....but Weir's at NHK is right up there as well.

Worst was Joubert's meltdown at Worlds...poor guy! :cry:

Not sure of the other disciplines, because men's is my favorite...

Kasey