Does Carolina Have Staying Power | Golden Skate

Does Carolina Have Staying Power

brad640

On the Ice
I enjoyed Carolina’s skating at worlds, but in the past she has been very inconsistent. So will she repeat as a medalist in future competitions or was her world bronze a one shot deal like Julia Soldatova or Vanessa Gusmeroli?

Side Note: I was watching the men’s free skate on RAI Sport and the Italian commentators were going wild over Lambiel’s program. I don’t speak Italian, but they were talking at length about Carolina and laughing hysterically. I think Stephane and Carlina used to date but now they have broken up, and I wonder what those commentators were saying. I loved the Italian commentators, especially when someone barely hung onto a jump. During Takahashi’s skate I made out “Treepa Loots, Mama Mia!”

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Caro is very inconsistent and she doesn't skate well under pressure. She finished 7th at Euros in her home country this year---her worst Euros finish ever. She also tends to lose focus about 2/3 of the way through her FS, and then she makes silly mistakes. I have never seen Caro do a clean FS.

Matt

On the Ice
<Sidebar>---Carolina and Stéphane did date each other for quite a while (enough for it to make its way through the FS grapevine, at least ;) ). I hadn't heard that they had broken up, but with both of them being top level skaters and traveling all over the place, I would imagine it would be next to impossible to keep a relationship like that going

I think 2005 Worlds definitely proved that Carolina can skate up to podium level against the best in the world, but she still has a long way to go in terms of consistency. Plus, there is going to be a HUGE amount of pressure on her with the Olympics being in Torino in 2006. She strikes me as Italy's version of Sasha Cohen: we all know what she's capable of, and she could be the best skater in the world if she could only pull it together and stay on her feet.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Paul Martini mentioned the pressure she will have on her now going into the Olympics; However, Carolina has the advantage that she is young and is still developing as a skater; she can only improve on her presentation skills - time will tell.

soogar

Record Breaker
Why is everyone obsessing about a clean program? If anything, COP doesn't require a clean program anymore. Carolina has staying power. With her result this year and going into the Olympics as a hometown favorite, plus Speedy is Italian, I predict Carolina's PCS scores are going to be much higher than they were at Worlds. If there's anything that this worlds has shown, politics matter (obviously the Japanese need to do better politicking for its skaters), falls don't count against a skater and PCS marks are subjective.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
If anything, COP doesn't require a clean program anymore.
I does seem that way. Is this a good or bad thing? When a skater falls is there a specific number of points taken off the score?

Tereza

Match Penalty
:unsure: I definately want to see Carolina do well. I wonder what the outcome would be if she skated cleanly throughout all sections of the competition (the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy). Yes Octavio Cinquanta is Italian, the Olympucs are in Italy, and Carolina is Italian. So if she does skate cleanly she is ensured a medal. I dunno really!?! :unsure:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Let's ask Michelle and Johnny...

dlkksk8fan said:
I does seem that way. Is this a good or bad thing? When a skater falls is there a specific number of points taken off the score?

Johnny missed the podium by less than 4 points. The fall in his SP cost him 4 points - -1 deduction and -3 GOE on the 3A. So...had Johnny completed the 3A with a minimum of 0 GOE, he would have had a world medal.

We all know that MK missed the podium by less than 1/2 a point. The -1 deduction alone for her fall would have changed the results and given her a medal.

So while I would agree that a mistake, even a fall is not necessarily the kiss of death depending on circumstances that it might have been under 6.0 (but who knows since both tech and pres were basically at the judges discretion) I DON'T think it's reasonable to say mistakes don't matter.

This was a pretty mistake ridden worlds. Assuming the programs get cleaner as the skaters get used to more difficult programs all the way around, I think mistakes could be much more significant next year. (at least I hope so, because I know ALL of us would rather see more clean skates!!)

As for Carolina, she's still pretty young so who knows what will happen?

DG

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
For various reasons, I don't get the feeling that Carolina will be a Soldatova. Maybe a Gusmeroli, but not a Soldatova. Gusmeroli's bronze medal performance in 1997 was not a one time thing. She gave a few other incredible performances and never just completely faded away like Julia. She was spectacular at the 2000 Europeans and Worlds. But, on the same note, if you look at her career statistics they are quite puzzling....sort of like Carolina's so far.
Carolina has the goods. She is technically superb and has great speed across the ice. However, her presentation skills still need so much work. Things just don't completely flow from one element to the next, YET. But, I noticed a definite improvement from last year. I didn't enjoy her much at all last season because she seemed so incredibly awkward. This year, it seems she matured a bit and has worked on her artistry. Anything could happen next year. Carolina could come out stronger than ever, or she could struggle as she has for the past several seasons. The GP season should be a great indicator.

P.S. - I agree with you 100% about the mistake-filled performances, DG. I am not used to seeing so many flawed performances earn medals. Not that they didn't deserve them in most cases.....it is just unusual.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
dlkksk8fan said:

If the fall is on an element, there will be a negative grade of execution, in most cases -3, which is the lowest possible. (For triple and quad jumps, that translates to 3.00 points off; for other elements with lower base values, the deduction is less.)

In addition, any fall, whether it's on an element or just on stroking, now brings a 1.00 deduction from the total score.

(There are also other ways to lose just as many points on the grade of execution without falling, e.g., other severe errors perhaps also with a triple jump being downgraded to a double or an intended higher level spin or step sequence being downgraded to level 1, but they don't also carry the 1.00 falling deduction.)

I've heard so much about Carolina in the past but have never seen her skate well until this Worlds. I just need one more tough competition to see if she is going to be a contender for the gold. It will be a hometown lady at Torino.

Joe

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
In 2003 and 2004, I thought Carolina was overhyped and overmarked. But in Moscow I finally saw her potential. I don't think she'll ever be a consistent skater, but I could see her developing into a constant Worlds podium contender. She made strides in her presentation and her basics are among the very best in ladies' skating. I don't know if she'll be the "complete package" in time for Turino. Next year, with her first world medal under her belt and the Olympics in her home country, the spotlight will be on her in a way it has never been before. We'll have to see how she handles the pressure.

Last edited:

Kuchana

On the Ice
dlkksk8fan said:

It seems like a bad thing to me. I got this from the thread on Sonia Bianchetti on MKF.

"As reported by Salvatore Zanca of the Associated Press, commenting on the New Judging System, U.S. skater Evan Lysacek said the system "is pushing the skaters to try for more difficulty, especially in the second part of the program. The thing is you don’t need to necessarily skate a perfect program to have the results come out in the order they should.”

Kuchana

On the Ice
Tereza said:
:unsure: I definately want to see Carolina do well. I wonder what the outcome would be if she skated cleanly throughout all sections of the competition (the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy). Yes Octavio Cinquanta is Italian, the Olympucs are in Italy, and Carolina is Italian. So if she does skate cleanly she is ensured a medal. I dunno really!?! :unsure:

Do you really think Speedy would do something stupid as that? Hasn't he learned from SLC already or is he wanting to make a fiasco of the sport once again????

Eeyora

Final Flight
I agree Kuchana I think if there is any one competition Speedy and his cohorts will be on their best behavior. It will be in Torino.

All things considered, if Sasha doesn't up her technical, I see Carolina with the silver medal in her hometown. Judges have always given any benefit of doubt to the hometown skater.

Carolina does have to get more maturity.

Joe

Linny

Final Flight
Live

Joesitz - now that you have seen Carolina live, could you comment on her speed? When I saw her live, I was totally floored by the way she literally flies around the ice. 0 to 90 in three cross overs.
Lin

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Caro skates HORRIBLY under pressure. She finished 7th at Europeans in Torino. Skating at home will not help her, it will hurt her, especially now that she has won a World medal---there will be enormous expectations heaped on her.

What's interesting is that she is not that young---she'll be 19 in Torino. She only looks young because she is so gangly and coltish, and hasn't filled out yet, that you'd think she's 15 or 16.

chuckm said:
Caro skates HORRIBLY under pressure. She finished 7th at Europeans in Torino. Skating at home will not help her, it will hurt her, especially now that she has won a World medal---there will be enormous expectations heaped on her.

What's interesting is that she is not that young---she'll be 19 in Torino. She only looks young because she is so gangly and coltish, and hasn't filled out yet, that you'd think she's 15 or 16.
She is gangly. More so than Sarah was when Sarah was a kid. I can understand what your saying about her inconsistencies. I was prepared to see an incredible skater in 2003 Worlds; again in 2004 Worlds, and I finally saw a very competent skater in 2005 Worlds. I'm not so sure that the tide has not changed. This may be the beginning of consistency. Let's see.

Yes, Linny, she is fast. For those fans who concentrate on top speed in figure skating, I believe Carolina is the winner.

Joe

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Skating at home will not help her, it will hurt her, especially now that she has won a World medal---there will be enormous expectations heaped on her.

ITA. I think winning a surprise Worlds medal in the Worlds going into the Olympics in her home country was probably the worst thing that could have happened to her. Had she finished 5th or 6th, she could have gone in as a "possible medal contender"; now the expectations are going to be even higher and she's erratic enough anyway.

As far as her being another Gusmeroli or Soldatova -- I have a feeling, under COP, we are going to be seeing a LOT of Gusmerolis and Soldatovas in the next few years, and not just in the Ladies either.