Todd Eldridge and the COP | Golden Skate

Todd Eldridge and the COP

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Hi husband, of all people (i.e., not a fan, will watch FS only when he is either bored or forced :), brought this up during last week's coverage of the Worlds:

Whouldn't Todd just kick *** under the new system? Hubby was always rooting for him and felt bad what the quad was so elusive to Todd. Since two of the current medalists are quadless as well, and one of them is even triple axel-less, it's fair to say that Todd would be on the podium this year if he stayed on.

Having seen him skate live 3 times since the Olympics, I can tell you, the guy has one of the BEST 3 axel out there. His spins are absolutely superb.

Anybody who is a COP guru interested to analyze some of his programs (obviously not tailored to COP) and see how he would fare?

Thanks, Yana

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
STL_Blues_fan said:
Hi husband, of all people (i.e., not a fan, will watch FS only when he is either bored or forced :), brought this up during last week's coverage of the Worlds:

Whouldn't Todd just kick *** under the new system? Hubby was always rooting for him and felt bad what the quad was so elusive to Todd. Since two of the current medalists are quadless as well, and one of them is even triple axel-less, it's fair to say that Todd would be on the podium this year if he stayed on.

Having seen him skate live 3 times since the Olympics, I can tell you, the guy has one of the BEST 3 axel out there. His spins are absolutely superb.

Anybody who is a COP guru interested to analyze some of his programs (obviously not tailored to COP) and see how he would fare?

Thanks, Yana

Yana, this thought has crossed my mind as well. I'm certainly not a COP expert, and haven't seen enough of the programs yet this year, but from the beginning the way COP has been promoted it sounded to me like it would benefit somebody like Todd. I would also like to hear any analysis that could be offered by any COP wise posters willing to give it a shot.

OT: By the way, Happy Birthday! :party2: :birthday:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm no CoP expert, either, but I'm willing to bet that he would do well under the CoP. At least I think he wouldn't have to worry so much about putting the quad in his programs. There are so many other elements that he does so well.

Yana, if it is your birthday, Happy Birthday to you! :birthday: :party:

mzheng

Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:

Thanks, Yana

Definitely, CoP is made for Todd. He might not be able on the top because of lacking of the quad. But he excels in all other eareas especially the spins. If he still eligible, he definitely will be a medal contender.

soogar

Record Breaker
Yes and no. Todd's programs when he competed weren't all that. He definitely had a formula and his spins and footwork sequences were not as difficult as the ones the guys are doing now. However Todd was a good competitor and there is no doubt that he would have made the necessary upgrades to win.

One thing I notice is that the guys are getting more flexible to allow for greater spin variations. Todd is not a flexible guy and considering that he has had trouble with his back, he might incur more injury under COP than under the old scoring system. Those spins are really hard on the back. Look at the injury that Lucinda Ruh has sustained, I think it was a fractured vertebrae in theback (stress fracture). Didn't Sasha also have a back injury as well? Plush had a back injury at worlds (in addition to the whole kitchen sink of injuries) and that might have been caused by that Biellmann.

I would say that there will be more injuries under COP caused by spins rather than jumps. Either way, it's a sport and something is going to get injured. If it's not the hip, it will be the back.

njtoddfan

Rinkside
Being a huge Todd fan myself, I've actually been wondering about this. I really haven't watched too much eligible skating outside of US Nationals and Worlds this season, so I really don't have a full understanding of how the new system works. Hopefully I'll understand it a little better by the time the Olympics come around. I am interested in hearing what those who know the system better have to say about this.

ranjake said:
I miss Todd! The most beautiful triple-axel of anyone! and the spins!
ITA, especially about the spins. Todd was a great spinner. Still is. He is one of the few men who can turn a basic scratch spin into a program highlight.

But under the New Judging System, that's a level 1.

Mathman