Sonia Bianchetti's Article on Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sonia Bianchetti's Article on Worlds

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
As for her comments re: Buttle winning silver - I completely agree with her. And yes, I am Canadian, so you can dismiss my opinion as national bias if you like, or give it its due. On a night without so many mistakes, Buttle would not have placed so high, but even with two falls the quality of his performance and skating on all of the other elements was such that he stood above most of the field. Not to mention a superb short that put him in the running. I also agree that some of the media tended not to know as much about COP as they should. In 6.0 you looked at the falls almost exclusively, in COP you look at the whole. It is one of the things I like most about COP.
I agree with Jeff's silver medal, and I am American so my view is NOT tainted by National Bias. Jeff really delivered two wonderful programs and his spins, footwork, MITF and musicality were near-perfect. The program was choreographically challenging and tastefully balanced with great attention paid to how the body movements related to the music (the bent-at-the-waist spread eagle was one great example). He did make very costly jump errors, but since everyone else did also, the quality of his non-jump moves elevated him. I'm really happy he did well.

However, Wilkes, in my view, lost 90% of her credibility when she said Plush, Sasha and Kwan should be banned from 05 Worlds. She particularly targeted the U.S. ladies and talked about how great the Canadian's ladies CoP programs were. SOMEONE's national bias was showing, that's for sure.

As for Bianchetti, I think she's a scream. Is she the Hunter S. Thompson of skating? :laugh:

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
So who is this so called expert? has she ever figure skated? Does she realize how much figure skating has changed over the years and how difficult some of the moves have become? The quad comes to mind. The men really have their work cut out for them. For some it is difficult to achieve. Skating a perfect program is quite a monumental task today. These skaters have to deliver a lot and ask a lot of their bodies.

Personally, I think this article is a bit over the top. Made me laugh in some spots.

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Bianchetti IS an expert

Ladskater, Bianchetti is a former skater, judge, international judge and former President of the ISU technical committee. She has been involved in judging skating for 40 years and has judged many Olympic Games, AND she lead the fight to remove Compulsory Figures (which she got done).

She is a true expert!