The triple-triple / 7-triple club | Golden Skate

The triple-triple / 7-triple club

Irina Slutskaya just won the World championship with a 7 triple performance, including a triple Lutz / triple loop combination.

Sasha Cohen got silver with a program featuring 7 clean triples, but no 3/3. (If I'm not mistaken, Sasha has never done a 3/3 in competition -- is this right?)

Who is the all-time leader in these categories?

According to the jump statistics on Heather W's MK site, Michelle Kwan has landed a triple/triple combination in eleven major events. She has also skated eleven 7-triple performances (not necessarily the same as her 3/3 programs).

Does anyone know how many 3/3s or 7-triple performances Irina has in her career? Who else is in the running for ladies tech champ in these categories? How many does Shizuka Arakawa have?

There have been quite a few skaters who were excellent jumpers (Tara and Kristi, to name just two), but their amateur careers were too short to rack up the numbers in these categories.

But a lot of the youngsters can do 3/3s these days. Who do you think will have the staying power?

Mathman

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Sasha did a 3 lutz / 3 toe in her free skate at the 2003 Worlds, but fell on other elements.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Carolina and Joannie??

I know they are in the triple/triple club. My guess is they are also in the 7 triple club (didn't Joannie just do that at Canadian nats?) Don't have any stats though about when/where/how many times, etc. Anyone else know??

DG

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I would imagine Elaine Zayak should qualify for at least an honorable mention!

Yana

Edited: Elena Sokolova did some kind of triple-triple the year she won silver in DC.

Fossi

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Sasha Cohen got silver with a program featuring 7 clean triples, but no 3/3. (If I'm not mistaken, Sasha has never done a 3/3 in competition -- is this right?)

Mathman

I think that this is the first time Irina has EVER landed 7 triples with a 3/3 in her program.
Sasha's LP was not clean and I don't think she landed all 7 triples. Didn't she 2 foot some? I'll have to go back and watch the tape Also, that 3/3 of Sasha's at Worlds 2003 was majorly cheated, if we're going to point out cheated 3/3's.
What about Sarah Hughes? She was amazingly consistent and had the 3/3's to match Tara's. And speaking of Tara, she had to have landed a few 7 triple with 3/3 programs in her career. She was amazing, and more consistent than Irina will ever dream of being. I bet Tara has landed MORE 7 triple programs with a 3/3 in her short career than Irina in her long career. :agree:

rain

Record Breaker
I know Joannie Rochette did it at Canadian nationals - seven triples including a triple/triple combo and a triple/triple sequence. Time will tell if she can do it again with any consistency.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Fossi said:
I think that this is the first time Irina has EVER landed 7 triples with a 3/3 in her program.

What about Irina's program at the GPF in 2000, when she landed two 3/3s, including the first triple lutz, triple loop ever landed by a woman? I think that was a full 7 triple program.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Correction to my old post. Apparently under CoP, Sasha landed 7 triples in the LP at 05 Worlds. The 3toe/hop/3sal sequence looked two-footed to me, but apparently it counted, just with -GOE.

She landed 7 triples in the QR at 03 Worlds.

Midori Ito landed 7 triples at 1989 and 1990 Worlds, including a 3axel. She also pulled off scads of 3/3 combinations in her amateur career, too numerous to list.

Kristi Yamaguchi landed 7 triples at 1992 U.S. Nationals. She landed a 3flip/hop/3toe sequence at 1991 U.S. Nats and Worlds and a 3lutz/3toe combo at 1992 Olympics and Worlds.

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
HMMM....we will just begin an official list for the "7 Triple Club"
1. Midori Ito
2. Kristi Yamaguchi
3. Tonya Harding
4. Surya Bonaly
5. Michelle Kwan
6. Irina Slutskaya
7. Sarah Hughes
8. Tara Lipinski
9. Elena Sokolova
10. Tanja Szewczenko - 1998 Champion's Series Final
11. Maria Butirskaya - 1999 Worlds
12. Sasha Cohen - Didn't she do one at that post 2004 Worlds cheesefest?
13. Jenny Kirk - 2003 Skate America?
14. Shizuka Arakawa
15. Miki Ando? - Seems to me she has done one at some point

and the 3/3 club......
1. Midori Ito
2. Kristi Yamaguchi
3. Tonya Harding
4. Nancy Kerrigan
5. Kiellmann (4th at the 1994 Worlds...can't remember her first name)
6. Surya Bonaly
7. Michelle Kwan
8. Tara Lipinski
9. Irina Slutskaya
10. Sarah Hughes
11. Elena Sokolova
12. Shizuka Arakawa
13. Carolina Kostner
14. Amber Corwin
15. Miki Ando
16. Joannie Rochette
17. Jenny Kirk
18. Nicole Bobek
19. The Hungarian girl that finished 5th or 6th at the 1996 Worlds (lol, total brain fart)

That is all I can recall right now.....

rain

Record Breaker
BronzeisGolden said:
HMMM....we will just begin an official list for the "7 Triple Club"
1. Midori Ito
2. Kristi Yamaguchi
3. Tonya Harding
4. Surya Bonaly
5. Michelle Kwan
6. Irina Slutskaya
7. Sarah Hughes
8. Tara Lipinski
9. Elena Sokolova
10. Tanja Szewczenko - 1998 Champion's Series Final
11. Maria Butirskaya - 1999 Worlds
12. Sasha Cohen - Didn't she do one at that post 2004 Worlds cheesefest?
13. Jenny Kirk - 2003 Skate America?
14. Shizuka Arakawa
15. Miki Ando? - Seems to me she has done one at some point

and the 3/3 club......
1. Midori Ito
2. Kristi Yamaguchi
3. Tonya Harding
4. Nancy Kerrigan
5. Kiellmann (4th at the 1994 Worlds...can't remember her first name)
6. Surya Bonaly
7. Michelle Kwan
8. Tara Lipinski
9. Irina Slutskaya
10. Sarah Hughes
11. Elena Sokolova
12. Shizuka Arakawa
13. Carolina Kostner
14. Amber Corwin
15. Miki Ando
16. Joannie Rochette
17. Jenny Kirk
18. Nicole Bobek
19. The Hungarian girl that finished 5th or 6th at the 1996 Worlds (lol, total brain fart)

Joannie Rochette belongs in the 7 triple club as well....2005 Canadian nationals

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Ok, I did some checking and it seems that Elaine Zayak was the first American woman to do a 7 triple program, whcih won her the Nationals at age 15 (1981 I think).

Yana

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
BronzeisGolden said:

I believe you are thinking of Kristina Czako. She placed 5th at Worlds in 1997, but I think she was a lot lower in 1996. Not only is she in the triple-triple club, but I'd say that single triple toe-triple toe from her long program at 1997 Worlds might be the best I've ever seen. I miss her skating.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Anyone else find it interesting that more skaters have done a 3/3 than a 7 triple performance? (at least from what we have listed)

apache88

On the Ice
STL_Blues_fan said:
Ok, I did some checking and it seems that Elaine Zayak was the first American woman to do a 7 triple program, whcih won her the Nationals at age 15 (1981 I think).

Yana

I thought I read (I could be wrong), out of 7 triples, 6 were triple TOE-LOOP jumps! Hence the Zayak rule. LOL. Nevertheless that was a most amazing athletic feat in that era.

apache88

On the Ice
Interesting thread.

Can anyone please help complete and correct the following list of the number of times each skater has performed 7 TRIPLES in competitions, in declining order?

1. Michelle Kwan 11 times (confirmed)
2. Midori Ito 4 or 5 times (not too sure)
3. Tara Lipinski 4 times (not too sure)
4. Sarah Hughes 3 or 4 times (not too sure)
Surya Bonaly 3 times (not too sure)
Irina Sluskaya 3 times (not too sure)
Sasha Cohen 3 times (confirmed, QR2003W, 2004Marshalls, LP 2005W)
6. Kristi Yamaguchi 2 times (not too sure)

and the rest....

Last edited:

pohatta

On the Ice
A couple of skaters with a consistent 3T-3T:
Alisa Drei
Lenka Kulovana (although her only triples were toe loop and salchow)

And that German girl was Marina Kielmann.

Does anyone remember if Ito or Bonaly did 3T-3T or something else?

Last edited:
There are only 5 single jumps one can perform at the triple level and a further 2 must be done in combo (for the ladies). The main thing to remember is that a 3x3 will get more points than a 3x2. At the moment, it seems like Irina is consistent with this 3x3 combo.

I think it is sad that the Wally has become a 'no-jump' except for a single used in footwork. The jump itself, imo, has more rythym that any other. A triple wally would sure look pretty to me. (The toe wally is a bore.)

Maybe some adventureous skater will throw one in one day just to show the judges that the jump is valid.

Joe

apache88 said:
Interesting thread.

Can anyone please help complete and correct the following list of the number of times each skater has performed 7 TRIPLES in competitions, in declining order?

1. Michelle Kwan 11 times (confirmed)
2. Midori Ito 4 or 5 times (not too sure)
3. Tara Lipinski 4 times (not too sure)
4. Sarah Hughes 3 or 4 times (not too sure)
Surya Bonaly 3 times (not too sure)
Irina Sluskaya 3 times (not too sure)
Sasha Cohen 3 times (confirmed, QR2003W, 2004Marshalls, LP 2005W)
6. Kristi Yamaguchi 2 times (not too sure)

and the rest....
That is what I was wondering about, Apache. It did seem to me that Michelle has more than twice as many 7 triple performances as anyone else in the history of the sport, but I wasn't sure because there are a lot of good jumpers past and present who might be in the running.

Anyway, to me, this kind of puts things in perspective when we talk about who are the outstanding lady skaters from the technical side.

(Of course we can always say, "But what have you done for me lately, LOL.)

Mathman

nicole_l

Final Flight
One thing we need to remember is that Michelle's career has been like three times the length of a normal one, and that skaters didn't do the Grand Prix Series until pretty recently.
But still, :rock:

artsciboy

On the Ice
Also...

...Victoria Volchkova landed 7 triples at Worlds 2001 in the FS. She finished 6, because her other elements were so lackluster.