The ladies' quad club | Golden Skate

The ladies' quad club

President: Miki Ando.

Vice President: ????

Will Miki continue to work on the quad and include it in her programs? Will she be successful with it? What is her best strategy in preparing for the Olympics?

Sasha has landed the quad Salchow in practice, but not in competition. Will she go for it in Turino and turn up the heat on Slutskaya and the others?

Mathman

nymkfan51

Medalist
No, I don't think she will land it competition ... at least not in the big competitions. Those kinds of jumps are the first ones to desert you when you need them most.
I think you saw her abandon it this year because of injury, right?
The problem with these difficult jumps/combos for the ladies is this: they start doing them usually when their bodies are childlike, and they are able to spin faster and jump higher. The problem comes in when their bodies start to change, but they still push them to do what they're probably not suited to anymore.
When is it too much of a sacrifice to ask, even to win an Olympics?

I'm all for advancement in any sport, but where does it end?

emma

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
President: Miki Ando.

Vice President: ????

Will Miki continue to work on the quad and include it in her programs? Will she be successful with it? What is her best strategy in preparing for the Olympics?

Sasha has landed the quad Salchow in practice, but not in competition. Will she go for it in Turino and turn up the heat on Slutskaya and the others?

Mathman

I don't know much about Miki at all. I was talking to a friend who said something like, 'she probably ditched the quad to work on consistency of combinations and to focus more on presentation'...but this was just chit chat among friends; this friend doesn't have any inside info.

Sasha...clearly she really fought for her landings during this years worlds, which makes me hope that this will generate new confidence for her and a new pattern of performance at the big events next year. Can she skate clean an add such a high power element in the big events, i.e. the quad? I don't know, but my goodness it would be absolutely amazing if she did that assuming that her other jumps were landed too. I honestly don't see who could beat her if that scenario played out. Is it the best strategy for her to pursue? I honestly don't know, but it does seem really risky to me, especially if that means sacrificing concentrating on getting clean landings on her current triples and triple combinations.

But, I find it really interesting to think about these possibilities...thanks MM for the thread (and the 3 axel one too).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Miki hasn't landed a ratified quad in well over two years. She may attempt them from time to time, but I think she is now too tall and curvy to do what was relatively easy for a tiny 14-year-old.

Hikaru

Final Flight
I think Miki could still do it. The words is that she was doing it I think in the practices at worlds, I don't know if succesfully or not. Sasha has a petite body line which would suit her for this type of jump, which I think requires height and fast rotations in the air. I think her jumps have improved a bit this season, but she needs to develope the confidence on the landings. It would be wonderful to see one quad ina competition from any of this ladies, as long as it follows the intend of the program.