New Buttle article | Golden Skate

New Buttle article

Nice article. I agree -- Jeff is a natural show skater. It's nice he will get the oipportunity to strut his stuff. Nice for the fans, too.

Mathman

mpal2

Final Flight
Kurt probably didn't mean to sound cruel, but I had to laugh at the following comment. There might be a few offended Candians. But hey, it's Kurt (a god on ice) so who knows. ;)

"From a professional standpoint, it's so nice to have an infusion of young success [on the tour]," he said. "We can get all the young skaters we want, but it's just so exciting to have a winner. On a personal level, I'm proud of him and I'm not surprised."

"For Buttle, it was like winning a lottery. Tours are the biggest moneymakers for skaters..."

I wish they would let us in on how much these deals are worth to the skaters. OK, it's none of our business. Still, it would be interesting to see how the dollars and cents work out for the skaters lucky enough to land these spots.

MM

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
mpal2 said:
Kurt probably didn't mean to sound cruel, but I had to laugh at the following comment. There might be a few offended Candians. But hey, it's Kurt (a god on ice) so who knows. ;)

Quote:
"From a professional standpoint, it's so nice to have an infusion of young success [on the tour]," he said. "We can get all the young skaters we want, but it's just so exciting to have a winner. On a personal level, I'm proud of him and I'm not surprised."

Hey, I am Canadian and I was not offended by Kurt's comments. I don't think he sounded cruel either. Kurt is one of Canada's best skaters ever and it's great that he can give Jeff a bit of advice. I think it will be good for Jeff to tour with Kurt and learn a few things. Kurt always said he learned from touring with Toller.

I hope to be able to see the show when it comes to Vancouver. What a thrill to see the "killer B's" (Browning and Buttle)!

kemisha

Rinkside
Ladskater said:
Quote:

Hey, I am Canadian and I was not offended by Kurt's comments. I don't think he sounded cruel either. Kurt is one of Canada's best skaters ever and it's great that he can give Jeff a bit of advice. I think it will be good for Jeff to tour with Kurt and learn a few things. Kurt always said he learned from touring with Toller.

yeah, i'm a canadian and i didn't get the offense. :scratch:

mpal2

Final Flight
All I'm saying is that it initially came across as winners vs losers when I was skimming through the article. And what I meant by "some Canadians" is Sandhu, Sawyer, etc.

I don't believe that Kurt meant that in any way, but I guess I think in opposites. I thought it was funny. ;) The other skaters probably do a great job on tours, but they don't have the Jeff's current hardware to go with the skating. I personally don't have a problem with that if they are entertaining enough, but sometimes people will obsess over the hardware. Just take a look at the boards the past few days. :laugh:

Last edited:
Actually, that's a good point about Sandhu. His unique grace and edgy artistry make him a natural show skater, no matter how many titles he does or doesn't win.

Does anyone know if Eman gets a chance to skate on tour much?

Mathman

Antilles

Medalist
Sandhu is doing a few dates on CSOI this year. He was also on an Xmas special this year. I don't know if he's done the Celebration on Ice shows or not. I'm sure he could get on any tour that goes through Canada.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
I'm thrilled that Jeff is getting the exposure and financial support, but I hope it doesn't cut into his training time too much. It can be a delicate balance.

WildRose

Rinkside
Ogre Mage said:
I'm thrilled that Jeff is getting the exposure and financial support, but I hope it doesn't cut into his training time too much. It can be a delicate balance.
Stars on Ice in Canada is in the off-season. It starts April 14th and ends May 3.

Shanti

On the Ice
Jeff's LP at Canadian Nationals

I know that it is off-topic but I actually don't know where to post it ...

I'd like to download a video with Jeff's LP at Canadian Nationals. Could anybody give a link? I saw this program at Worlds and admired it. But you people say here that the pest performance was at Canadian Nats...

Many thanks in advance!