Ando to skate under foreign coach | Golden Skate

Ando to skate under foreign coach

Hikaru

Final Flight
http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=6&id=331884

It doesn't say who will be the coach, but I remember some months ago someone pointing that she could go to Priscilla Hill, Johnny's coach.

The question is if she would move completely from Japan, since I think she's still studying, or will she do like Shizuka, that this season trained a part with Tarasova and the other part in Japan with her coach there.

Matt

On the Ice
She's would still only be a third year high school student, so I would imagine she would do the split time option like Shizuka.

Priscilla Hill is an interesting possibility for Ando. She might be a good person to help bring life and difficulty to her PCS (Lord knows, she doesn't need any more help with her jumps). I'd be interested to see if that one works out if that is in fact where she goes.

Kateri

On the Ice
But you missed the best part - Fumie is back to Sato full time!!

:clap: no more fighting for her coach's attention from Ando, or T/M!

k.

Vash01

Medalist
I doubt that she will go to Vasiliev. I would love to see what Tarasova can do with her, but I doubt that she will take on two Japanese ladies. Priscilla Hill could be a good choice for Miki.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
People think Priscilla Hill would be good for Miki because they see what an artist Johnny Weir is on the ice. What they are forgetting is that Johnny was an artist from day one, and Hill helped him develop the skating skills that allowed him to showcase his artistry.

Everyone thought that Audrey Weisiger would miraculously improve Yoshie Onda's skating and she would be a much more artistic skater. She has improved some, but Yoshie is still basically a very athletic skater and her more "artistic" moves are still hit-or-miss.

Miki's greatest problem is that she is not a bit musical, so despite having programs with some excellent choreography, she cannot make the most of the moves she is given because she doesn't relate to the music at all. She can be given higher level spins and footwork, but she doesn't express well the moves she has now. I don't know what the answer is, but somehow I think moving to the US isn't going to make much of a difference to her skating, and it might prove very distracting to a 17-year-old girl.

mzheng

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Everyone thought that Audrey Weisiger would miraculously improve Yoshie Onda's skating and she would be a much more artistic skater. She has improved some, but Yoshie is still basically a very athletic skater and her more "artistic" moves are still hit-or-miss.

Yoshie, IMO, should just do herself style(powerful/upbeat) like Irina. Not to imitate the ballerina. It so awkward to see her try to potrate the ballerina or soft style.

I think Japanese federation is aimed for more famous foreign coach for Ando.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
People think Priscilla Hill would be good for Miki because they see what an artist Johnny Weir is on the ice. What they are forgetting is that Johnny was an artist from day one, and Hill helped him develop the skating skills that allowed him to showcase his artistry.
According to an interview with Priscilla Hill, Weir was only interested in jumps when he first started to skate, not expressing himself on ice artistically. Hill had him train in pairs skating with a young girl whose line and stroking was far superior to Weir's, and Weir learned to skate beautifully and fluidly working with her in pairs.

Ando has far better general skating skills than Onda, smoother movements and flow, and better line and extension. It was a great disappointment to me that she dropped this year's LP for the vastly inferior Firebird; her interpretive skills improved a lot in that program. I thought she was coming along very well this year until her choice of LP; whoever her new coach is can capitalize on this.

According to Ando, Torino will be her only shot at the Olympics, after which she expects to get married and have babies, although 17-year-olds have been known to change their minds.

Last edited: