Figure Skating Books | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Books

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Some of you might remember before World's I asked what books everyone recommended. I wanted to order books through Amazon because I had gift certificates. I think I got some good deals through their secondary market (whatever they call it) where you can buy books new / used through second parties - sort of like E-Bay without the bid process. I bought:

Boitano's Edge
Skate Talk
Edge of Glory
Talking Figure Skating
Culture on Ice.

Amazon charges a flat shipping rate of $3.49 per book. But I was able to buy 3 of these for under $1 each, one for about $1.50, and the fifth one I really spent the big bucks for at $9.95. So my grand total for all 5 was about $31.00. I think it's funny that the shipping total was more than the books. I thought it was a great deal though!!

I thought I would post this in case anyone else is looking to acquire some reading material for the off season!

Happy Shopping!

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi MM..

We'll have to start a book club along with the tape club after the last Cheesefest! I will definitely let you know what I think.

Right now I'm about 2/3 of the way through Inside Edge. One of the things I'm enjoying about that book is learning more about the rivals of the top skaters that faded away. An example is Tina Noyes who apparently was a big rival to Peggy Flemming for the top US position. I had never heard of Tina before. It's amazing to think about how many people's lives would be very different today had the roles been reversed between #1 and #2 through all the generations of skaters.

The Second Mark is still my favorite so far. Great history on S&P, B&Z, S&Z.

DG

After you finish Inside Edge, I'd like to hear your take on Edge of Glory. To me, comparing the two books, somewhere in the middle of writing Edge of Glory Christine Brennan suddenly fell in love with the sport and switched over from being a dispassionate observer to being a fan.

MM

Spirit

On the Ice
Doggygirl said:
The Second Mark is still my favorite so far. Great history on S&P, B&Z, S&Z.
DG
The Second Mark kicks major hoo-ha. I can't imagine the time and effort the author had to spend researching and interviewing. I was blown away by the thoroughness, detail and quality of writing.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Spirit said:
The Second Mark kicks major hoo-ha. I can't imagine the time and effort the author had to spend researching and interviewing. I was blown away by the thoroughness, detail and quality of writing.

You are so right. And it didn't seem to be all that sugar coated ice princess stuff either. I will read that one again and again over the years.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let me know what you think about Skate Talk. This one is still my favorite skating book.

hongligl

Final Flight
The Second Mark is a great book. I really enjoyed reading it. I even wanted to translate it but somebody else was already selected to do it. What a pity.

S

SkateFan4Life

I have several dozen figure skating books, and have enjoyed reading all of them.
Favorites include Elizabeth Manley's autobiography, "Thumbs Up!", Scott Hamilton's autobiography, "Nailing It", and Peggy Fleming's autobiography, "The Long Program - Skating Towards Life's Victories".

I admire Elizabeth, Scott, and Peggy so much for their years of hard work and determination. They are "winners" of the best kind, as much for their attitude and dedication to their sport as for their medals. :clap:

Hikaru

Final Flight
Doggygirl said:
You are so right. And it didn't seem to be all that sugar coated ice princess stuff either. I will read that one again and again over the years.
I love that book too! It's the type of book that I will read many times and never get tired of it! The part when they talk about Xue when she was a little girl and her father would take her to practices, and how they would sneak to a rink in construction for extra practices, I loved how it was told, you can picture every scene.