Cohen's success tinged with uncertainty (article re.Nicks & Cohen) | Golden Skate

Cohen's success tinged with uncertainty (article re.Nicks & Cohen)

R.D.

Record Breaker
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...sta/stories/032605dnspoharastacol_.53802.html

FYI, requires registration

John Nicks said his contract to coach Cohen expires soon. She returned to Nicks and his Aliso Viejo, Calif., rink after leaving him to train with Tatiana Tarasova. Cohen then switched to coach Robin Wagner before deciding Nicks provided her with the greatest comfort zone.

"I'm only under contract for another week or so," said Nicks, turns 76 next month. "She seems to think this is where she likes it. But the situation here is still a bit of a problem for her. We get pretty busy here in the summer."

soogar

Record Breaker
I hope she's not a flake like Nicole Bobek. If she changes coaches yet again, that girl has no chance for gold.

LBC

On the Ice
Nicks said the same thing after Nats. I don't think Sasha was going to make any hasty coaching decisions after TT and Robin thus the short term contract. I think she wants to stay but ice time is still a problem in the summer. She may do what Johnny Weir does and go elsewhere for the summer and comeback.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She may do what Johnny Weir does and go elsewhere for the summer and comeback.

Hmm...sounds like that would be the best thing for her to do considering the circumstances. I think the Nicks thing was a short term agreement, but I think she should try to stick with him through the '06 Games. If she changes again she's screwed. IMO of course

Vash01

Medalist
I can't imagine her going to another coach at this point, after the success she had at worlds, with John Nick's coaching. She skated better than ever, and has a very realistic shot at winning the OGM. Unless Mr.Nicks himself does not want to coach, for whatever reason, I think Sasha will continue with him through the 2006 Olympics.

Vash

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m very happy that Sasha went back to Mr. Nicks, but I´m really worried that she is not having enough ice-time and ice surface, to be really able to practise her programmes for the Olympic season.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I agree with Red Dog that she should keep Nicks and go elsewhere in summer and let him spend the summer fishing.

If I am correct, she is Nicks' only skater. Then I believe she misses the commraderie of other skaters around the rink. In other words, I think she is lonely and feeling out of touch. Just a thought. Have no insight to this.

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
For anyone who didn't register to read the full article...

I thought this part was pretty important as a follow up to the quote in the first post...

"Cohen trusts Nicks, who has coached athletes in 10 consecutive Winter Olympics. He said he expects to discuss their future next week. Committing to each other through the Turin Games should be just a formality."

DG

nicole_l

Final Flight
If I am correct, she is Nicks' only skater.
On the World/National stage, sure. But he could have other skaters that are in Regional competitions, etc. Maybe that's why it gets busy in the summer.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
nicole_l said:
On the World/National stage, sure. But he could have other skaters that are in Regional competitions, etc. Maybe that's why it gets busy in the summer.

Not sure about Nick's schedule, but I assumed the "busy in the summer" part may be referring to ice availability at the rink. I think that was one of Sasha's concerns originally. I hope they come up with some alternatives to work around that problem.

DG

gezando

Final Flight
I am sure Nicks and Cohen will work out a nice contract. I don't think Cohen missed the other skaters, I believe part of the reason for the Tarasova break was the so call "charity cases" i.e. other skaters TT took on and that was a bit crowded for Cohen. Nicks has traditionally let Cohen do whatever she wanted, and that suit her fine. I speculate Nicks is trying to negotiate a $$$$ contract. I speculate, he will get it.

Does anyone know if coaches get "performances bonuses?" Like if your skater wins a World Championship, or an Olympic gold medal, and then gets a fat endorsement contract out of it, does the coach get anything?

Mathman

gezando

Final Flight
Coaches and top skaters / athletes negotiate contracts in % of the skater's earnings. I imagine Kornikova's coach received a fat check, and that had nothing to do with her world rankings :rofl: (I know she is retired now)

I imagine coach / skater can put in any terms they want to in the contract. I am sure Nicks will get a fat nice contract

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
I think Sasha skated better last year. Her jumps were higher and more secure when she were with Robin. She pretty much had the same results this year as she did last year. The only difference this year is that other top skaters didn't skate up to their ability and COP helps inconsistent skaters with beautiful spins or fast difficult spins.

I still think she will stay with Nicks. Who else can she get for this year right before the Olympics.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I think that, just for the fun of it, Sasha should announce that she is switching to Alexei Mishin. (She doesn't have to really go through with it; just make the announcement and watch the skating boards go crazy.) Seriously, is there another rink where Sasha could train during the summer with Nicks? Will the Artesia Ice Palace (co-owned by Danny Kwan) be built in time? I also read somewhere that Sasha and Nicks went to Lake Arrowhead for awhile before SLC, for altitude training -- when Michelle was training there, also; could they go back?

jesslily

Final Flight
I guess that Sasha loves to take from the coaches who only teach herself. Robin Wagner mostly only had one student, first was Sarah, then it was Sasha. Who don't want to take from a top coach who does not have any student around your own level? You don't have to fight for attention.

Sasha's jump may not be better than last year world, but way better than this year while she was still with Robin. Just a liitle over two months back with John Nicks, I thing Sasha jumps better and feels much better.

During ESPN world champ broadcast, it showed John Nicks and Sasha's training. It seems there are quite a few skaters practicing with Sasha. Skaters do socialize with other coaches' students.

lavender

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
I think that, just for the fun of it, Sasha should announce that she is switching to Alexei Mishin. (She doesn't have to really go through with it; just make the announcement and watch the skating boards go crazy.) Seriously, is there another rink where Sasha could train during the summer with Nicks? Will the Artesia Ice Palace (co-owned by Danny Kwan) be built in time? I also read somewhere that Sasha and Nicks went to Lake Arrowhead for awhile before SLC, for altitude training -- when Michelle was training there, also; could they go back?

I think she went there but couldn't get any time on the ice.

I don't know but Sasha exhibitions were more solid and she had one bobble during the whole worlds comp last season. She also won the short at Worlds and skated an awesome long after Worlds in one of the fluff comps last year. Things started to fall apart at the beginning of this season then she got better with Nicks. She gets better at the beginning of all her coaching switches.

Last edited:
Does the coach pay his own expenses to the championships or does the skater? I would assume this is also part of the contract.

On another note. I thought Sasha skated extremely well in the LP except for those two flubs. Had Irina not skated clean I would have given the score to SC.

Joe