Peeking at "spoilers" or waiting for TV? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Peeking at "spoilers" or waiting for TV?

E

eliza88

Re: Live or recorded?

Welcome KMK0902!

I always tape shows/competitions--even if I see it live. I used to have a revolving "skate tape" that I would tape and watch and then like an idiot tape over during the next competition:mad: . Now I am a reformed-idiot-turned-into-a-skate-freak and I tape and keep most competitions. Nothing like viewing a superb MK performance or G/G after a hard day....

eliza88

D

Dee4707

Re: Peeking at "spoilers" or waiting for TV?

I very much enjoy competitions more than I do shows, so I will tape over some shows, unless it has Alexei performing. Anyhow I was feeling nostalgic last evening and popped in the Olympic tape. I made a tape of just the Olympians. I was then reminiscing about whether I would have wanted to know if Alexei got the gold medal or not. Today, I would have to say "yes." That evening was so intense for me and <strong>Long</strong>. Alexei was the last one to skate and I was nearly crazy by that time. Definitely, if it happened again, I would want to know.

Dee

J

jharland

Yes to both questions. If I am there watching I'll, record it so I can watch later. You'd be suprised what you missed. 8o

A

AY2006

I usually wait if it's the same day. It's not difficult if it's only a few hours. But it was so much tougher during Nagano Olympics. I had to stay away from all the news as well as people who were so eager to spoil my enjoyment. I was successful until the ladies' free skate, when I accidentally found out who won, spent the rest of the day depressed (both by the result and by the spoil). During SLC, I watched both CBC's live coverage and NBC's taped coverage. It was fun to compare the two.

For GP, there is no point in waiting. I actually use the report to decide which performance(s) I want to tape. (I don't tape the entire competitions of GP events, but use selected performances as "fillers" at the end of my video tapes.)

H

heyang

Maxell1313,

I read a book the same way, almost. I usually read the 1st several pages to get to know the characters. I'll usually flip to the back and check out how it all ends. Then I read the rest to see how it gets there.

It used to drive my college roommate nuts, but sometimes it really gets me through a book that I"m not sure of finishing. I have to admit that I've put down a couple, too..

Sorry for going off topic....

N

NanSinger2

I must confess I peek! I peek! The waiting to see it on TV makes me crazy. I'm so impatient!

D

Dee4707

Did everyone see Laura (Princess Leppard) at Nations Cup?? Tell them Laura how to find you. That was neat for me.

Dee

M

megsk8z

I peek. I have to.
And I tape. And then watch it again. I don't care whether or not I know before I watch what the results are. Because I want to see the skating anyway.
I love this time of year.

H

hrmsk8ngnutt

I definitely look at spoilers, although for the Olympics I did NOT look at the spoilers (I am on the West Coast as well). Ironically, the ladies final was almost spoiled for me and friends who gathered to watch on TV. A friend of mine picked up a voice message he received from a friend of his who was traveling in Europe and knew the results. Luckily, my friend did not listen to the whole message and his friend later apologized for the message as he realized that we probably had not seen the broadcast. However, as I watched Michelle in the moments before her skate, I had this gut feeling that it wasn't going to be her night - I could definitely see by the look on her face that she wasn't going to win. It was the first time she looked nervous and tight. Four years prior, I inadvertently found out that Tara won and it definitely tainted the viewing that night. I watch with 3 other friends and only one did NOT know the outcome beforehand. You should have seen the look of shock on his face at the outcome, then the look when we all told him that we already knew.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

C

CB1AB2

I agree=I like to know who placed where=this way I can get my joy or sadness out before I watch it on tv= if I know in advance I tend to be more relaxed and can enjoy it more=even if I don't like the standings

cb

A

AY2006

According to an interview in the latest issue of "Blades On Ice," Peter Carruthers peeks at spoiler while Terry Gannon waits for TV. During SLC, Carruthers called Gannon (both live on the West Coast) and said "You won't believe what happened." Gannon said "Don't say anything. I am about to watch it on TV." "I have to tell it to someone." "Then tell it to your neighbor" and then Gannon hang up.

P

Princess Leppard 625

<span style="color:purple;font-family:georgia;font-size:small;">If you are really bored, you can see me at Nations Cup at the beginning of Alexander Abt's SP. He starts it right in front of me. I look, depending on who is describing it, "asleep" or "in shock", and Dee thinks I'm drooling. Which is probably true. :lol:

And, once again, I have to know who won. Seeing events live turns me into a nervous wreck. So at Worlds, I will be the puddle on the ground when Evgeni skates...

cheers,

Laura :) </span>