Surya and CoP | Golden Skate

Surya and CoP

Fossi

Final Flight
Where would Surya have ranked?
She attempted difficult moves, and landed lots of triples and sequences, and attempted the quad. Some would argue that her basics weren't the greatest, but she could make up for that in her technical and her spirals were good. Didn't she do beilmans too? She could add up tons of points with them alone ala Slutskaya! Plus Surya had awesome, difficult jumps.
I wonder how many World Championships Surya would've won with CoP?
Remember, 2 foots count as clean with CoP, right? And you get rewarded for attempts and difficulty.
I think Surya would've cleaned house! :rock: Too bad she isn't still competing.

soogar

Record Breaker
I think they would have hammered Surya under PCS scores. Two foot jumps receive a deduction under COP.

Still Surya improved a lot when she became a professional skater. I read that she's trying to reinstate for France but I don't think the ISU will let her become eligible again. I'm interested in the outcome of that.

Well, she could have done a back flip and gotten that extra bonus point for an "unusual and innovative move."

Alas, the second mark is still the second mark. I think today's judges would find the same faults with Surya as the judges did back then. For one thing, she was criticised for too much skating on the flat.

Does anyone know about the rumor that Soogar mentioned, about Surya reinstating and skating for France?

My favorite recent Surya story: Sale and Pelletier were scheduled to headline a show in Aspen, Colorado (IIRC), but when they arrived they found that they did not have the right kind of visa. They could visit the U.S. but not "work" there. So the organizers called Surya at the last minute, she threw a couple of costumes in a bag and jumped on a plane and saved the show.

I also remember one of those "Improvization on Ice" shows where there was a draw for music just before the skate. (Was that the one where Todd Eldredge drew "Who let the dogs out?":laugh: ) Anyway, as I recall it, Surya arrived with a huge trunk full of costumes, so she would be ready for anything. She drew a country-western song and sure enough, she whipped out a cowboy outfit and away she went.

What a competitor! As a show skater she has immense popularity in the U.S. Americans like her fiesty personality as much as her eye-popping technique.

Mathman

Last edited:

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Suyra is great show skater but as a competitive skater she had huge flaws which would be magnified under CoP. Her choreography, performance/execution, interpretation and especially skating skills marks would have been crappy. I think she would have done WORSE under CoP.

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Suyra is great show skater but as a competitive skater she had huge flaws which would be magnified under CoP. Her choreography, performance/execution, interpretation and especially skating skills marks would have been crappy. I think she would have done WORSE under CoP.

I agree, completely. Surya would have been hammered under COP (definitely in the SS department).

soogar

Record Breaker
I remember her cowboy improv program... that was the best program I have ever seen Surya skate and her skating in that program was very smooth... not at all choppy like her amateur days.

I'm quite a skeptic but the French politick very well for their skaters. Brian got high PCS scores and I'm sure they would have done something for Surya.

soogar said:
I'm quite a skeptic but the French politick very well for their skaters. Brian got high PCS scores and I'm sure they would have done something for Surya.
We don't have to look any further than Philippe Candeloro and his two Olympic medals, LOL.

MM;)

soogar

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
We don't have to look any further than Philippe Candeloro and his two Olympic medals, LOL.

MM;)

Philippe deserved those Olympic medals. But I would say that the Duschenays benefitted from the politicking the most.

soogar said:
I think they would have hammered Surya under PCS scores. Two foot jumps receive a deduction under COP.
Can you imagine Oksana Baiul?

I liked Surya but then I don't demand a classic ballet style. I enjoy an efficient skater who develops a unique style of their own. I demand good line, and I think Surya had that along with much musicality. A good coach and choreographer would have made her comparable to Midori.

Joe

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Can you imagine Oksana Baiul?
Very true, Oksana would have been hammered on her tech marks, though I think her PCS marks would have held her up. Her interpretation and performance/execution marks would have been extremely high, and I think she would have had good (possibly slightly inflated) skating skills marks. I can't remember if her programs had much in the way of transitions. She did have bad choreography, but because her interpretative ability was so great, I wonder if the judges would have overlooked that.