What will happen to Jenny Kirk? | Golden Skate

What will happen to Jenny Kirk?

brad640

On the Ice
Is Jenny's eligible career over now that she lost her podium place at nationals bombed again at worlds? Will Frank fire her? Does she have enough star power to make it as a show skater?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wouldn't cry out just yet. She technically missed the world team this year but got to go only because Kimmie was underage. She'll just try harder and try to make the Olympic team for next year. However even if she does make it, it would be hard to envision a top 10 finish for her. But hey, weirder things have happened at the Olympics. :laugh:

S

SkateFan4Life

IMHO, I think Jenny Kirk's time has come and gone, as far as making the US World team and/or Olympic team. She finished fourth at Nationals, and, as we all know, the only reason she competed at Worlds was because bronze medalist Kimmie Meissner wasn't old enough to qualify to compete at senior Worlds. Jenny has now competed at Worlds three times and has bombed three times - withdrawal due to injury in 2002, an 18th place finish in 2004, and a similarly low-level finish this year.

Jenny is a "pleasant" skater to watch (as Peggy Fleming says), but she lacks consistency, confidence, and fire. Her jumping technique is flawed, as she cheats many of her jumps and does not finish her rotations in the air. She's still twisting in the air when she lands, and that's a major reason why she falls so often during her programs. At the age of 20, she really should have her jumping technique perfected. How many great coaches has this girl trained with - Evy and Mary Scotvold, Richard Callahan, and Frank Carroll. Frankly, I do not think the problem lies with coaching - the problem lies with Jenny.

I'm truly sorry if this sounds negative, but IMHO Jenny should seriously consider turning pro at this point. Next year, the US Olympic team will consist of
Kwan, Cohen, and Meissner, barring injury, illness, or "trainwreck" performances.

soogar

Record Breaker
I'm surprised the USFS let Jenny go to worlds this year after last year's horrible showing. When Tonia K messed up worlds in 1993, she didn't go again until 1998 when Tara pulled out.

Don't jump on the Meissner bandwagon yet. Baby Hughes is going to get that 3rd spot. She's more talented than her sister and Newsweek already wrote a little article on her. We all know what happened when Sarah made the cover of Newsweek for their Olympic preview... I think Newsweek did a good job foreshadowing certain events. I think they picked the right horse in backing Emily.

The only way Meissner is going to the Olympics is if Kwan decides to retire and there's another spot to give. I don't think Meissner is ready yet and cheated triple axels aren't going to cut it under COP at the Games.

S

SkateFan4Life

soogar said:
Don't jump on the Meissner bandwagon yet. Baby Hughes is going to get that 3rd spot. She's more talented than her sister and Newsweek already wrote a little article on her. We all know what happened when Sarah made the cover of Newsweek for their Olympic preview... I think Newsweek did a good job foreshadowing certain events. I think they picked the right horse in backing Emily.

The only way Meissner is going to the Olympics is if Kwan decides to retire and there's another spot to give. I don't think Meissner is ready yet and cheated triple axels aren't going to cut it under COP at the Games.

I disagree with you concerning Meissner. This young woman is ready to compete at the Olympics. Gorgeous jumps, fast rotations, and good, clean choreography. She skates rings around most of the other girls. The US Olympic team will consist of Kwan, Cohen, and Meissner, as I wrote previously, unless there's injury, illness, or "meldown" performances.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
soogar said:

Sarah didn't make the cover of Newsweek. It was Time. Kwan made the cover of Newsweek.

S

SkateFan4Life

VIETgrlTerifa said:
Sarah didn't make the cover of Newsweek. It was Time. Kwan made the cover of Newsweek.

Maybe "Newsweek" and "Time" will have both Kwan and Cohen on the cover for their Olympic preview issues. :laugh:

kyla2

Final Flight
Time To Move On

It's time for Jennie to move on with her life and do something else. I like her very much as a person but her skating will always be a few levels below the best competitiors. It's a shame really; I wish she had stayed with the Scotvolds she might have had a better chance with consistent coaching. Sadly, I don't even think Frank Carroll can help her at this point in her career.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
I still think Jenny should have stuck in pairs! She doesn't have the necessary presentation skills for singles skating (she's just not "big" enough)...but I think with a partner, she can show off the pas de deux skills she learned in ballet.

Someone make her skate pairs!

herios

Medalist
soogar said:
I'm surprised the USFS let Jenny go to worlds this year after last year's horrible showing. When Tonia K messed up worlds in 1993, she didn't go again until 1998 when Tara pulled out.

That is incorrect. Tonia K. went to Worlds in 1996 as well, as the US Silver medallist and finished 8th, and in my mind, she deserved better placement, based on her LP.

Herios - Joseph

Jenny is a good looking gal with a drop dead body. She might find something that needs those qualities. She also moves well and has studied dance. I don't think it would take much to get a job in Vegas as a chorine (they pay big bucks). At least in Vegas, you are not travelling. Of course there is Disney on Ice where she could get a specialty number. Last but not least she can work hard in figure skating and stay eligible. I like to let the skater to make these decisions.

Joe

Mk4Eva

Rinkside
Jenny Kirk

I love Jenny but she needs more speed in her skating! I do think she has what it takes to be a show skater though! She has a lot of personality and loves skating so for me that's all that matters! I do wish her luck! I think it would be very cool if she made the team for 2006 and I agree it would be hard for a top 10 finish but if she lets it go like her famous Skate America performance who knows what can happen!

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Jenny is so lovely and talented. At this point in her career, though, it is hard to imagine her becoming an Olympic or World medalist. Perhaps another National medal is possible, but even that seems a long shot with the emergence of Kimmie Meissner and Emily Hughes. Nonetheless, I don't necessarily feel Jenny should just give up at this point. If her dream is to skate in the Olympics, then she certainly has a right to pursue that.

I don't think there is really anything wrong with Jenny's skating itself. With the right music and choreography, she really shines. And she has the ability to land the triple jumps, as she has proven now and then in some of her better performances. Yes, her jumps could be bigger, and she could have more speed, but all the basic ingredients are there to make her a top-level skater.

I think the real issue is that Jenny is just not a good competitor. Like many other talented skaters before and after her, Jenny seems to suffer from nerves and lack of mental focus in competitions. Because of this, she makes foolish and costly mistakes. And as a result, she doesn't do well. It really is that simple, I think.

I don't know if Jenny has yet tried working with a sports psychologist. If not, I'd say to try skating another season, and work with a sports psychologist. There is always the possibility it could make a big difference.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
I think Jenny could do very well as a show skater. She has charisma, nice line and is an attractive performer on the ice.

However, she has major flaws as a competitive skater. Faulty jump technique, bad spirals, so-so spins and mediocre basic skating. She also just can't perform under pressure. The choreography for her LP this year was so bland it seemed like a cure for insomnia. A good show program can disguise these flaws, but right now they are VERY apparent. I don't see her doing anything in the amateur ranks. Next year, I think Kimmie, Emily or Bebe (perhaps all 3) will pass her (if they haven't already).

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
Acturally Jenny Kirk, Kimmie, and Bebe all three of them don't have the presentation
skills and christma that Michelle and Sasha have, and they are really far below MK and SC.

Linny

Final Flight
Shoulda Woulda Coulda

Jenny Kirk gets me doing a shoulda woulda coulda... if she had been given the nod at Skate America three years back the way many of us who attended felt she should... would she have continued her career with the great psychological boast that comes with a win? Could it have made the difference?

Oh, well, we'll never know.
Linny

soogar

Record Breaker
Linny said:
Jenny Kirk gets me doing a shoulda woulda coulda... if she had been given the nod at Skate America three years back the way many of us who attended felt she should... would she have continued her career with the great psychological boast that comes with a win? Could it have made the difference?

Oh, well, we'll never know.
Linny

Would that really make a difference? She still has the great performance in her memory to give her confidence. I just don't think she has it. Then again , she's another skater I could never get into. When she was with the Scotvolds, she was a more graceful Nancy Kerrigan clone and then she lost all semblence of a personality with Richard Callaghan (her skating that is). Though I liked her Beatles Muzak (program and music) which everyone else hated, her personality still didn't come through in her program. She has such a dead look on the ice. She reminds me a lot of Angela Nikodinov in that they both look so unconnected to their performances. Their faces show no excitement or happiness or fight when they are competing.

To me, Jenny is in the same place she has always been. Kimmie hit a triple Axel (sort of) in Portland, but other than that the burden is still on the next generation to outskate her if they want to make the Olympic or World teams.

Mathman