Irina Slutskaya will win Olympic Gold | Golden Skate

Irina Slutskaya will win Olympic Gold

S

SkateFan4Life

As far as I'm concerned, if Irina Slutskaya is healthy and injury-free, she's going to win the gold medal at the Olympics next year. She isn't the most graceful or artistic skater out there, but she has amazing jumps, wonderful spins, great speed, and she skates with a lot of passion and joy. I, for one, was delighted to see her win this year's World Championships, especially back home in Russia.

Good luck, Irina! :thumbsup:

soogar

Record Breaker
VIETgrlTerifa said:
I think Nina Bates is going to win. She's the most amazing artistic and technical skater ever.

You're on the wrong forum. The Nina Bates lurvers are in FSU. No OES for Goldenskate.
;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Seriously, unless irina gets hurt, or really screws up big she's got a medal in the bag. And I bet you there's a good chance that that medal is going to be gold. I mean, who's REALLY going to challenge her at this point? :laugh:

I hope she doesn't win just for the sake of Olympic competition. It has a history of FABULOUS upsets...

kyla2

Final Flight
Big Mistake

One thing I have learned about figure skating over the past 10 years, you can NEVER assume that someone is going to win the Olympics. That includes Irina. her performances vary from year to year. Let's wait until next year before making predictions.

brad640

On the Ice
I hope someone with great artistry beats Irina. I love Irina in interviews, but I have never been moved by her skating. Even at worlds, which was the performance of a lifetime, I was moved by what a great moment that was for her and her emotions once she finished skating, but not by the performance itself. I think she has mastered the technical aspects of the sport, but her skating has little impact for me.

Fossi

Final Flight
There will be another illness or injury, or comeback story next year. I predict that whoever gets sick or injured during the off season will win the Olympics.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Irina was in terrific form this year, but I also think it is WAY too early to be giving the gold medal to anyone. She certainly is a favorite heading into the Olympic Games, but so is Sasha, Michelle, Carolina, Shizuka, etc. I expect this next season to be very exciting. There are so many question marks: will Irina maintain her form and keep the comback passion ignited? Will Michelle commit herself and adapt successfully to the new system? Will Sasha stand up? Will Shizuka regain her Dortmund form? For me, there are just too many wild cards and uncertainties to name a clear cut favorite for Gold. It will probably be another 16 year old jumping phenom with level 3s and Biellmanns coming out of her ears.

I think they have already decided to give it to Michelle. Why else would they have given Worlds to Irina?

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I kinda hope Mathman is right there, LOL :agree:

Seriously, I think that its WAY too early to be predicting the Olys because as we've seen from the last few Olys, ANYTHING can happen in that last flight of ladies. I think I will wait til, oh, the night before the long programs in Turino next year to even think about making any predictions, LOL :laugh:

Vash01

Medalist
At the beginning of the 2001-2002 season many felt that Irina would win the Olympic gold.

In 1998 it was a foregone conclusion that if Michelle skated clean, she would win the OGM.

I would not make any predictions about OGM right now, or even just before the Olympics.

Vash

mzheng

Record Breaker
Fossi said:
There will be another illness or injury, or comeback story next year. I predict that whoever gets sick or injured during the off season will win the Olympics.
LOL. :agree:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Mathman said:
I think they have already decided to give it to Michelle. Why else would they have given Worlds to Irina?

Of course they have! It's all part of the TV deal. It's been in the works since 1998...

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I hope that the Olympic gold medal is not "given" to anyone, but goes to the rightful winner. And I sure hope that the skaters that have won an Oly medal earlier, will not be held up by the judges in Turin. Each skater should be judged based on their performance there, and not on earlier competitions.

As a possible winner I could see Carolina Kostner.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Jaana said:
I hope that the Olympic gold medal is not "given" to anyone, but goes to the rightful winner. And I sure hope that the skaters that have won an Oly medal earlier, will not be held up by the judges in Turin. Each skater should be judged based on their performance there, and not on earlier competitions.

I don't think the winner of the Olys was even in the top five...

I think we are in for a SHOCK. Like how Katarina Witt won her first Olympics...she had won world silver two years prior to the Olympics, but wasn't even on the podium in the world championships before the Olympics.

Kuchana

On the Ice
Saying that Irina will win the gold in this early stage is just too premature. I say it's anybody's game. Who would have thought Sarah would have won in SLC?

A little early for this!! What is there? 11 months to the Olys? Posters are not giving up on their Favorites.

I would rephrase this topic as AT THIS POINT IN TIME how does the Ladies division shape up for the Olympics?

I would reply: At this point in time:

Slutskaya - Favorite to win.
Cohen - Top contender for spoiling favorite's win
Kostner - Looking for an opening to speed ahead
Kwan - Underdog! In Hugh's position at SLC

Dark Horses: Poykio, Rochette, Ando, Suguri, Sebestyen

Oly Debuts: Meissner, Asado, Ketunnen, Korean gal,

Even with this lineup, how easy is it to pick the last group to skate? Not!
Let's watch carefully at the GPs and measure those CoP scores and especially those mentioned in the Oly Debuts list.

Joe

Jaana said:

To me, if you look at the Olympic winners of the last few years, it dispels a lot of the concern about pre-determined winners and political voting blocs.

It would have suited the ISU agenda just fine if Michelle had won in 1998 and if Irina had won in 2002. On the day of the skate, it didn't work out that way. Even though Michelle and Irina are two of my favorite skaters, there is something a little bit comforting in that.

Mathman