Marshall's - Was anyone there? | Golden Skate

Marshall's - Was anyone there?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I would be very interested in comments if any GS'ers saw the comp live.

Thanks!!

DG

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
There are some comments at MKF if that helps any. In a nutshell:

1. MK skated full outl, landed five 3 jumps and the last doubled.
2. Sasha struggled on jumps but didn't fall.
3. Jenny clean

1. Evan, eight 3 jumps, lively.
2. Johnny went for the quad and fell
3. Tim

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks Yelyoh! All info is welcome. Sounds like Evan is really coming into his own. I'm glad to hear Johnny tried the quad. (I hope along with that, that his foot is totally healed!)

DG

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Hey DG you're welcome. I think this does portend good things for Evan. We get to see this comp for ourselves on April 16th. I look forward to it and our usual GS discussion.

dragonfly

Rinkside
Doggygirl said:
Thanks Yelyoh! All info is welcome. Sounds like Evan is really coming into his own. I'm glad to hear Johnny tried the quad. (I hope along with that, that his foot is totally healed!)
DG

Johnny didn't fall on the quad; he stepped out of it. He fell on his second triple axel.

mpal2

Final Flight
I read an article that mentioned Johnny's foot but can't find it now. He said he is still dealing with the injury issues but wanted to try the quad.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
dragonfly said:
Johnny didn't fall on the quad; he stepped out of it. He fell on his second triple axel.

Okay I stand corrected. Or rather, I step out corrected.

elingrace4eva

Rinkside
yelyoh said:
There are some comments at MKF if that helps any. In a nutshell:

1. MK skated full outl, landed five 3 jumps and the last doubled.
2. Sasha struggled on jumps but didn't fall.
3. Jenny clean

5 triple jumps is full out? Sorry, but with girls landing seven triples at worlds, it doesn't really seem to me that this is all that impressive...yet again, another reason I hate 6.0.

I'll have to wait until I see the performance. But from what everyone is saying, if this was an "ordinal judging" performance, and her work at Worlds was a "CoP" performance, that tells us everything we need to know about the CoP and what kind of programs it rewards and encourages.

MM

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I'll have to wait until I see the performance. But from what everyone is saying, if this was an "ordinal judging" performance, and her work at Worlds was a "CoP" performance, that tells us everything we need to know about the CoP and what kind of programs it rewards and encourages.

MM

And I thought you weren't going to spoil yourself..... ;)

I'm not glad that Johnny fell of course, but I think it's good news that he stayed on his feet with a step out on that quad.

DG

tdnuva

On the Ice
Mathman said:

MM

Hm. Maybe I don't understand what you say. Or this is irony of a kind I don't get. But when I take seriously what you say - it does not make much sense to me.

She skated under CoP at Worlds, yes. But her program was not very CoP-friendly (according to the rules). Imho she was judged in the PCS according to her name rather than her skating. So shen ran away with high marks for no choreography e.g. I don't say that it was different for her competitors but this makes the reasoning nothing better. For me it was no CoP friendly routine.

And yes, she got "old marks" at the cheesefest. But what I heard meant there was not much more in the choreography than it was before. Only difference - she stood more jumps and her competitors less? (maybe I am wrong, I saw nothing yet....)

I think every skater needs good elements AND good choreography AND good performance to be sure to win a medal - under ANY judging system. You can leave out one or more ingredients if you want to hope for failures of your competitors. But I doubt this is a wise strategy.

This is what I meant. By "skating all out," IMHO this means putting your heart and soul into it. This has been Michelle's trademark throughout her career.

By "skating for the CoP," to me that means skating with one eye of the rule book and the other on your calculator.

Many of the ladies' performances at Worlds seemed to me to be of the second kind. Even Michelle's. Although her program was not successful, I do think that she allowed herself to worry about how many points she was accruing, and I think that this played with her mind and prevented her from "skating all out."

From everything I have read about the Marshall's performance, Michelle skated with greater abandon, greater freedom and greater joy than she did at Worlds.

IMHO it would be harmful to the sport if the new judging system turned out to reward and encourage mechanical connect-the-dots programs, with elements strung together to garner more points, but at the expense of the artistic integrity of the program as a whole. (I know you don't like double-talk about artistic integrity and skating from the heart, but that's my opinion nonetheless.)

Anyway, we'll have to wait and see. At the Marshall's event, did Michelle "skate all out," or did she merely stand more jumps than her competitors in an otherwise boring competition? Did the audience go away thinking they got their money's worth, or were they disappointed?

Mathman

PS. Interestingly, the new judging system seems to be having the opposite effect on men's skating. The men seem to be saying, "Yay, I don't have to do a quad any more, so now I can concentrate on developing my choreography and musical expression. (Buttle, Lysacek and Weir, for instance).

But at Marshall's, Weir tried a quad!

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
elingrace4eva said:
5 triple jumps is full out? Sorry, but with girls landing seven triples at worlds, it doesn't really seem to me that this is all that impressive...yet again, another reason I hate 6.0.

Like the results would've been different under COP....geez.

JunJohn21

Rinkside
elingrace4eva said:

Girls landing seven triples at worlds?? I thought it was just Irina who landed seven triples at worlds. And only six of them counted.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
This is what I meant. By "skating all out," IMHO this means putting your heart and soul into it. This has been Michelle's trademark throughout her career.

By "skating for the CoP," to me that means skating with one eye of the rule book and the other on your calculator.

PS. Interestingly, the new judging system seems to be having the opposite effect on men's skating. The men seem to be saying, "Yay, I don't have to do a quad any more, so now I can concentrate on developing my choreography and musical expression. (Buttle, Lysacek and Weir, for instance).

But at Marshall's, Weir tried a quad!

Whether you like her style on the ice or not, I do think Irina skated "all out" at World's in the LP especially. Emotion and passion + the technical side. AND had her other eye on the rule book. (actually, she already knew what the rule book said, so I doubt her mind was on the tule book during her skate.) I think that is why Irina prevailed.

ITA on the men. IMO, that was the most interesting dicipline at Worlds 2005. Many men brought different things to the party, and it was exciting to watch. Congrats to all the medalists who brought new and interesting things to the party. I am sad that Plush had to withdraw. His style is not my favorite, but I sure respect his technical prowess along with the way he presents his OWN unique style. If a healthy Plush would have been (healthy) in the mix, I think he would have won. But that wouldn't make the next three places any less interesting to watch!! SIDE NOTE: All skaters, take care of your injuries before they become serious!!!!

DG

Doggygirl said:
Whether you like her style on the ice or not, I do think Irina skated "all out" at World's in the LP especially.
I do! I do! What's not to like?!

http://www.cp.org/english/online/full/skating/050128/l012802.jpg

http://estaticos.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/especiales/2002/02/olimpiadas/albumes/19/05.jpg

Emotion and passion + the technical side. AND had her other eye on the rule book. (Actually, she already knew what the rule book said, so I doubt her mind was on the rule book during her skate.) I think that is why Irina prevailed.
If we see more programs like that, no one will have any criticism of the CoP or anything else in the sport.

MM

PS. Hey, Doggygirl, you have over 1200 posts. You should get a custom avatar. If you don't have a favorite skater you can send a picture of Kimba to Paula and she'll put it up for you.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
PS. Hey, Doggygirl, you have over 1200 posts. You should get a custom avatar. If you don't have a favorite skater you can send a picture of Kimba to Paula and she'll put it up for you.

LOL MM! You KNOW I have a favorite dog! (well, actually 4 favorite dogs, but who's counting??) What does the pic size need to be? I will try my best to size it correctly for Paula, and hopefully it won't take me more than 10 tries to get it right...

Thanks!!

DG

60X60 pixels. This is pretty small, so a close up head shot is usually best. Paula will crop and size it for you if you send her bigger one.

MM:)