Japanese ladies: what really happened? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Japanese ladies: what really happened?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What hurt Shizuka was giving her music she couldn't relate to. She sold the heck out of "Turandot", a dramatic piece of music with many accent phrases. Soft and soupy music like "R&J" doesn't suit Shizuka and she never got into it. I think Shiz would do well with "Firebird" (but I hope she doesn't do another chestnut!).

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
I totally disagree that Shizuka had a weak LP from a choreographic standpoint. It was a great program, with choreography well placed to the music and lots of difficulty and MITF. Accordingly, her Choreography (7.04) and Transitions (6.96) clearly should have been much higher. She had way, way more transitions than Irina, Sasha and Michelle had. She was robbed on those marks.

However, I would say that Shizuka looked very tentative and at times did not execute the moves in the program very well. She wasn't "selling" it. For both Interpretation and Performance/Execution she received 7.07 and I agree that these were fair. The program was a strong one but her interpretation and execution of the program were not.

For Skating Skills she got 7.32 -- better than her other scores. She may have been slightly undermarked here, but not having seen the program live it is hard to judge SS. Normally her SS are outstanding.

As for Ando, I see very little in her skating other than good jumping.

Vash01

Medalist
Ogre Mage said:
I totally disagree that Shizuka had a weak LP from a choreographic standpoint. It was a great program, with choreography well placed to the music and lots of difficulty and MITF. Accordingly, her Choreography (7.04) and Transitions (6.96) clearly should have been much higher. She had way, way more transitions than Irina, Sasha and Michelle had. She was robbed on those marks.

However, I would say that Shizuka looked very tentative and at times did not execute the moves in the program very well. She wasn't "selling" it. For both Interpretation and Performance/Execution she received 7.07 and I agree that these were fair. The program was a strong one but her interpretation and execution of the program were not.

For Skating Skills she got 7.32 -- better than her other scores. She may have been slightly undermarked here, but not having seen the program live it is hard to judge SS. Normally her SS are outstanding.

As for Ando, I see very little in her skating other than good jumping.

I felt Shiz was robbed in the SP. In the LP it was not robbing but she was undermarked. Sure she doubled a lot of her jumps but she had lots of transitions, nice positions, and her edge quality is always very good. Even if one assumed that the music was not suitable to her (I loved Turandot) it should not have mattered enough to push her down to 9th place. That was plain ridiculous. She should have come ahead of at least Ando and Sokolova (they did not show us Sokolova's programs, and I am guessing here).

Vash

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
I love Shizuka, but I think one of the reasons why Turandot worked so well was because it's a recycled program of her's. She used it from 2001-2002.

soogar

Record Breaker
Well I have seen both of Sokolova's programs and Sokolova skated very well. She has made huge improvements in her choreography and her stroking. She also attacked her programs and really sold them. I'm surprised the judges didn't find a way to place her higher, but she did have some jump errors.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
I felt Shiz was robbed in the SP. In the LP it was not robbing but she was undermarked. Sure she doubled a lot of her jumps but she had lots of transitions, nice positions, and her edge quality is always very good. Even if one assumed that the music was not suitable to her (I loved Turandot) it should not have mattered enough to push her down to 9th place. That was plain ridiculous. She should have come ahead of at least Ando and Sokolova (they did not show us Sokolova's programs, and I am guessing here).

Vash

That's exactly my points to begin with. Her TCS scores in TR, CH, SS areas were rediculous undermarked.