Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain."

The Wasteland – T.S. Eliot

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
April 2nd

In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love; they had five hundred years of democracy and peace and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
-- Orson Welles

4dk - who would like to add they also had Rhue, Beilman and Lambiel.

4dogknight

Final Flight
April 3rd

The truth is not always the same as the majority decision.
-- Pope John Paul II

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
April 4th

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.
-- John Maynard Keynes

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
April 5th

You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!
-- Dave Barry

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
April 6th

Success is a journey not a destination. The doing is usually more important than the outcome.
- Arthur Ashe

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
April 7th

The problems of the world cannot possible be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were.
-- John Keats

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
April 8th

Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission.
- Neil Kendall

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
April 9th

There is one safeguard known generally to the wise, which is an advantage and security to all, but especially to democracies against despots -- suspicion.
-- Demosthenes

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
April 10th

When the Earth is sick, the animals will begin to disappear, when that happens, The Warriors of the Rainbow will come to save them.
-- Chief Seattle

4dk - who celebrates the founding of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) on this day in 1866. Learn more about the ASPCA here.

4dogknight

Final Flight
April 11th

People are always asking couples whose marriage has endured at least a quarter of a century for their secret for success. Actually, it is no secret at all. I am a forgiving woman. Long ago, I forgave my husband for not being Paul Newman.
-- Erma Louise Bombeck

4dk - who is celebrating her 30th wedding anniversary with Mr. fourdogknight today.

4dogknight

Final Flight
April 12th

Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog.
Doug Larson

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
April 13th

Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been, there you long to return.
-- Leonardo da Vinci

4dogknight

Final Flight
April 14th

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
-- Charles Schulz

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
April 15th

Man plans and God laughs.
-- Hebrew Proverb

Just before midnight on April 14, 1912, the British luxury liner Titanic (46,000 gross tons) of the White Star Line, on its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City, struck an iceberg about 153 km (about 95 mi) south of the Grand Banks of Newfoundland . Of the more than 2220 persons aboard, about 1513 died, including the American millionaires John Jacob Astor, Benjamin Guggenheim, and Isidor Straus.

For more information about the Titanic disaster, please read here.

4dk - April 15th is famous in the USA for another reason; one that I choose to ignore.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
April 16th

When I took office, only high energy physicists had ever heard of what is called the Worldwide Web.... Now even my cat has its own page.
Bill Clinton (1946 - ),

4dogknight

Final Flight
April 17th

If liberty and equality, as is thought by some, are chiefly to be found in democracy, they will be best attained when all persons alike share in government to the utmost.
-- Aristotle

4dk - who apologizes for missing 4/16 (Thanks Show for posting). Problems with MSN servers in the Dallas area; or so I was told.

4dogknight

Final Flight
April 18th

LISTEN, my children, and you shall hear
Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere,
On the eighteenth of April, in Seventy-Five;
Hardly a man is now alive
Who remembers that famous day and year.

Excerpt from “Paul Revere's Ride”
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, 1860

For more information re. Paul Revere’s ride see here.
And then there are always the wonderful books by Kenneth Roberts; “Arundel”, “Rabble in Arms” Colonialists viewpoint and “Oliver Wiswell” for a Tory/Loyalist viewpoint. For the Southern campaign you can read "The Hornet's Nest" by Jimmy Carter - quite a read!

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
April 19th

He was so learned that he could name a horse in nine languages; so ignorant that he bought a cow to ride on.
-- Benjamin Franklin

4dk - who apologizes for not mentioning the other notable event of 4/18 - The San Francisco Earthquake - 1906. See more information here. Or rent the 1936 film "San Francisco" starring Clark Gable, Jeanette MacDonald and Spencer Tracy, if only to hear Jeanette MacDonald bring down the house with the title song. (The earthquake scenes are well done for the time period.)