Sasha to stay with Nicks | Golden Skate

Sasha to stay with Nicks

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for the link! I´m very glad indeed that Sasha is staying with Mr. Nicks and relieved to hear that ice time will be no problem for her. It is wonderful that Sasha is keeping her Journal and skating fans are always able to hear about matters so quickly. Thanks Sasha!

It makes sense to stay with Nicks. Did you get the feeling she is going to do the GPs next year? I did, and that's good news, too.

Joe

Hikaru

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
It makes sense to stay with Nicks. Did you get the feeling she is going to do the GPs next year? I did, and that's good news, too.

Joe

HA! you read my mind Jow 'cause I got the same feeling. Actually I'm happy she's staying with Nicks, he seems not only to calm her, but to keep her focused and interested in the programs, with trying nes spins and everything, he's creative and that's always good.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Sasha has no sense of timing. She should have announced that she was staying with Nicks tomorrow; since today is April Fool's Day, she should have announced that she is training with Alexei Mishin (or Frank Carroll). I agree that Nicks is a great choice. She mentioned that ice wouldn't be a problem because there were other rinks; did these other rinks exist when ice time was a reason cited for the move to Tarasova?

soogar

Record Breaker
I would expect Sasha to do the GP. She's always taken those events seriously and I think she was disappointed this year that she had to pull out.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Good for Sasha............I would also expect her to take the Grand Prix seriously since she needed those events for experience, exposure, and to "move up" so to speak internationally............42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think all of the skaters take the GP seriously, You have to train your program, travel to a different country (unless held in your home country)......not a fly by the seat of your pants kind of thing, IMO. It is because they take it seriously that some skaters may choose not to participate.

jesslily

Final Flight
It's great that Sasha will continue her training with Mr. Nicks. We knew Sasha when she was with Nicks, and now she went back to her root and did great at national and world. I think Mr. Nicks is the best coach for her.
Acturally if Sasha comes across with ice problem, has she considered renting private ice? Two years ago we were vacationing at San Fransico and my daughter practiced every day at this rink downtown. Two or three days we saw Brian Boitato warming up by the time we finished skating, the people working at the rink said the following hour of the ice was Brian's private ice. We saw Linda Beaver there too. With Sasha's earning, I guess she can always rent some private ice if she feels it's hard to skate with 20s other skaters every day.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Could she and her family not build a private rink a la "The Cutting Edge"? It seems like all of the money spent moving all over the country wouild be better spent to assure always having ice time? I would think this would also make the coach happy ?

Vash01

Medalist
IMO that improves her chances of winning the OGM considerably. She returned home older and wiser. It showed in her skating.

jesslily

Final Flight
Sasha might have the financial resource to build a rink, but she may not have the time to manage the process of building it. Her dad has a full time job, and her mom may not be interested to manage the rink when Sasha is competing and after she's all done with the eligible. I heard that Michelle Kwan's dad is a co-owner of a rink. I think that's a way for him to make living. Sasha's famility may not want to get into rink business.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I am talking about a private rink for her use only.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Smart move by Sasha. With regards to access to ice rinks, when Sasha left Nicks she was a U.S. National Silver Medalist, which is impressive, but she is now 4-time U.S. Nats Silver Medalist and 2-time World Silver Medalist. The nearby rinks may now be more willing to accomodate her, since she has become an international skating star.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wanted to make sure there wasn’t any doubt who would be coaching me and wanted to announce it immediately so there are no rumors floating around during the summer.

:laugh: sounds like she knows what goes on during the off-season on these forums ;) :p

Peggy

On the Ice
I was so glad to see Sasha's fire back at Worlds. I figured Mr. Nicks was going to be a good change for her so I'm thrilled she is staying with him through the Olympics. :clap: Can't wait to see what music she will pick next season.

kyla2

Final Flight
Good

I am very glad she has finally done the right thing and the smart thing. I wish her the best of luck.

That was an interesting insight where she said that she sustained a groin injury because of a different warm-up/practice routine than she was used to.

Does anyone know what the "Cotton Eyed Joe" competition was that she referred to? Evidently a competition for youngsters. Irina S. used this cowboy song on the COI tour two years ago, but does it have any other meaning in figure skating circles? (For that matter, what does "cotton-eyed" mean?) :)

I don't know why people pick on Sasha's journal so much. She obviously enjoys interacting with her young fans in this way. Lots of kids admire her. And she is another skater, like Michelle, whose fan base is so loyal that they don't care whether she wins or loses. I think it's great.

Mathman