Kulikova/Novikov split | Golden Skate

Kulikova/Novikov split

Kasey

Medalist
Novikov will train with Olga Orlova, still with Tarasova. No news yet on Kulikova's new partner or plans.

:(

Kasey

Weren't they the ones at Skate America last year where me and evreryone around me thought their skating was so heavy. :scowl:

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
That's a shame. Then again I understand that TT must have hyped them up to believe they could pass Domnina & Shabalin, making them very disappointed when that didn't materialize.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
There sure seem to have been a lot of Russian Dance and Pairs splitups the last several years -- must mean they are becoming more and more Americanized. :laugh:

herios

Medalist
Kasey said:
Novikov will train with Olga Orlova, still with Tarasova. No news yet on Kulikova's new partner or plans.

:(

Kasey

Would you have a link to this news? I can't find anything on the net.

Thanks, Joseph - herios

Zanzibar

Final Flight
I spoke with Svetlana Kulikova at length last weekend and it's true about the split and that Vitaly has a new partner, and that he will reman training with Tarasova.

Svetlana was initially very disappointed, for among other reasons, the fact that she will no longer get to compete in the 2006 Olympics. She is coaching at the Simbusry arena (where Vitaly still trains) and is considering other options while looking to possibly find a new partner.

She's a wonderful girl - very sad if we don't see her on the circuit next season.

Kasey

Medalist
Thanks Zanzibar. I've heard other people who are frequently at the rink speak highly of both partners, and how they both are as people as well as skaters. It is indeed a shame if we don't get to see Svetlana competing this year, she is a beautiful presence on the ice.

Herios, the inital news was from a Russian message board, which was then posted at FSU at the beginning of this month. The posts are still there there, just no longer on the front page.

herios

Medalist
Kasey said:
Thanks Zanzibar. I've heard other people who are frequently at the rink speak highly of both partners, and how they both are as people as well as skaters. It is indeed a shame if we don't get to see Svetlana competing this year, she is a beautiful presence on the ice.

Herios, the inital news was from a Russian message board, which was then posted at FSU at the beginning of this month. The posts are still there there, just no longer on the front page.

Thanks for the details.

I am no dance expert, but someone who is, told me at Skate America this fall that Svetlana was the weaker partner of the two and this could probably explain why the split and that Novikov was paired up with Orlova.
The fact that they slipped 2 places at Worlds this year (the Kerr's and Fraser / Lukanin bypassed them) was not a good sign for their prospects as the heirs of Russian ice dance either. Russians used to have 2-3 top 10, sometimes 3 top 5 couples in ice dance, with 2 on the podium, that is how much they have dominated this sport and they certainly try everything to keep the status quo. For now, only Domnina and Shabalin are in the cards for future top 5 couples and that is a let down.
I wish Svetlana to find a good partner in the near future and I am looking forward to see how Novikov will fare with his new partnership.

Herios - Joseph

Last edited:

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
herios said:
Thanks for the details.

I am no dance expert, but someone who is, told me at Skate America this fall that Svetlana was the weaker partner of the two and this could probably explain why the split and that Novikov was paired up with Orlova.
In fact, Svetlana Kulikova was always the stronger partner. There's a reason as to why many fans call Novikov, in a light-hearted way, "truck driver".

Splits occur many times because both skaters do not get along, for example. Olga Orlova had been looking for a partner already in Simsbury, so with Novikov without a partner it's possible they decided to team up and see if it works.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Svetlana says she did not see it coming. The split occured AFTER Orlova agreed to partner with Vitaly, not before. Not getting along was the reason cited for the split, but it was good enough that Svetlana wanted to continue and truly was devastated when she was unceremoniously dumped.

I hope she can find a qualified partner, but for now it is not looking that favorable - at least for the Olympic season.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I've read that Novikov refused to skate with her, I believe from Russian websites or articles, I don't know how much truth there is to this. It's strange if the split did occur after the "new" team was formed. There is no comparison between Orlova and Kulikova... I have to say I didn't see a big future for Kulikova&Novikov, but I don't see higher results for Orlova&Novikov.

And unless something very strange happens, it's not like they have much chance of going to the Olympics too, Khokholova&Novitski probably have a much better chance.

Kasey

Medalist
RIskatingfan said:
In fact, Svetlana Kulikova was always the stronger partner. There's a reason as to why many fans call Novikov, in a light-hearted way, "truck driver".
Not to disagree with you, RI. I think Svetlana was the stronger partner. But last season, it appeared more that Vitaliy grew more, where Svetlana stayed as she was. Maybe because she was stronger to begin with, she didn't have to work as hard? I'm not sure. She still finished the season stronger than he, I think. But I think he was catching up, and maybe working with another person who is still more in that "working" or "Catching up" phase will suit better than someone already on the more advanced level. Of course, he was injured in the beginning season, so maybe was just coming back off of that as the season progressed. It seemed to me (not an expert in ice dance, by any means) that of the errors the two made at Worlds, more were on her part than on his. Not sure, just was my impression.

Kasey

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Kasey said:
RIskatingfan said:
Not to disagree with you, RI. I think Svetlana was the stronger partner. But last season, it appeared more that Vitaliy grew more, where Svetlana stayed as she was.
I agree, he improved a lot. But so far, I still find her better. As for who makes mistakes, those are not always made by the worst partner, but the one who's less consistent. Julia Obertas is one of the best pairs skaters right now, but she always makes mistakes in the programs.

In any case, K&N Worlds performances were very messy, they lacked precision. The programs were perhaps too challenging for their level.

Kasey

Medalist
RISkating...

I agree, their world's performances WERE very messy, at least the OD and FD (didn't see the full CD). Her exits out of the final lift in both those portions were shaky, and she didn't seem to get into the lift positions as quickly and fully as earlier in the season, like at Skate America. By reports from folks at Simsbury, it was a rather long season for both of them, injury and/or illness-wise.

I hope she can find someone to skate with, at her level, and come back strongly. And I hope that Novikov and Orlova can grow together into a good solid pair.