New exhibition for Michelle! | Golden Skate

New exhibition for Michelle!

nymkfan51

Medalist
She didn't "dump" the program ... it was her exhibition for last year and she has a new one for this year.
And while of course, you certainly have a right to your opinion ... this was most definitely not boring ... quite glorious IMO.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just a few errors in the piece:

Kwan did not finish 7th at Worlds--she was 7th in the QR, but 4th overall.
Jenny Kirk is not the US bronze medalist.

According to this piece, Kwan is planning to go to the Olympics in Torino. Based on the other inaccurate information, I think the reporter must have been spinning what she said, because she never commits to anything that far ahead of time.

brad640

On the Ice
Does "a more over-the-rainbow type piece" mean she will skate to Eva Cassidy's Over the Rainbow? I love that rendition and I loved when Michelle skated to Eva's Fields of Gold.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Hmmm Sarah skates to Cassidy's "SOTR" in the SOI tour. Oh the comparisons! BTW I love "You Lift Me Up" and think it accurately sums up the Kwan/audience relationship. :love:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
What a refreshing outlook on life............I have most of Eva's CD's.........now I'm wondering what exactly she'll be skating to..................42

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Someone on MKF emailed Kwan's agent, Shep Goldberg, and he said Kwan won't be skating to anything by Eva Cassidy this year. I think the article is just not accurate, which is more obvious with all the mistakes in it.

Kathy

On the Ice
Michelle's new exhibition is to Madonna's " This used to be my playground." The lyrics are thought provoking and sad. But reports are she skated beautifully.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Just what we need more retirement speculation. This thread will have at least four psges by Monday. I hope these lyrics don't mean retirtement. The speculation is driving me insane.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Eeyora said:
Just what we need more retirement speculation. This thread will have at least four psges by Monday. I hope these lyrics don't mean retirtement. The speculation is driving me insane.

Maybe her free program will be Pomp and Circumstance? LOL

MidnightNess

Rinkside

It may very well be but remember Kwan has a habit of keeping her COI program well into the end of the following season. So this may a signal a retirement at the end of the 2005-2006 season and not now :cry:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I always wanted Nancy Kerrigan to skate to This Used to Be My Playground". I always thought the words were very fitting to her.

Thanks for the lyrics, Lynn.

Oh no, oh no, oh no. She's going!

IIRC this song is from the movie, "A league of Their Own." I can see it now...Michelle deliberately blows the Olympics to give her "little sister" (played by Kimmie Meissner) her chance to shine.:cry:

MM

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Mathman: I saw the routine at Philly COI today, and it was lovely. More importantly, in the routine, Michelle did (I hope I'm not mixing up lutzes and flips, I was watching the whole routine, not just her feet): Two triple flips, triple lutz, triple toe and double axel, along with her signature spiral, spins, and elegant in-betweens. In the closing cowboy number, which was worth the cost of admissions just for the two, full skating lines of step dance footwork, Michelle's spotlight bit was FOUR double axels in a row, with minimal steps in between. I've never seen her jump this much in an exhibition. This does NOT sound like someone ready for retirement. It looks like a skater keeping her best jumps in shape to work on her harder elements for the Olympic year.

By the by, if you don't have tickets for this year's COI, GET THEM!!! We saw the best skating we've seen in YEARS today at this show. Honestly, only one fall,, Amber Corwin in the opening, and her program was lovely. The Ladies were absolutely on (MK, Amber, Irina, Surya, Sasha, Jenny and Kimmie) and the rest of the show was excellent, too. Just about every skater skated full out with huge smiles and great expressiveness. The show, unfortunately for COI, but fortunately for the audience in Philly, was lightly attended, but it gave it an intimate feel. Every performance, even those unrecognized by general public, received warm responses and loud applause. Frankly, it was the best COI I've been to in years, because the skaters and the audience were truly having a great time.

On upsetting thing: we didn't see Irina Gregorian ("hula hoop girl")--according to a post on FSU, she tripped chasing one of her hoops last night and appeared to injure her right foot seriously. Here's hoping she's OK.

Last edited:

cianni

On the Ice
Coi

I was there today also and the show was the best ive seen. Loved Michelles program and the music choice was great. Dont look back. Great show. Cianni

Thanks for the reports, Yazmeen and Cianni.

One thing you can count on is the great respect that Michelle has for the audience. She never gives a half-hearted perfomance.

MM:)

tripleflutz

On the Ice
Yes, i think she'll keep this as her exhibition throught next season. It'll be a fitting "goodbye" to competition program.

tripleflutz