GP Series: Is it really THAT exhausting? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

GP Series: Is it really THAT exhausting?

Joesitz said:
Your key word is entertainment. Nothing wrong with that but it is not sport.
To me, sport is entertainment. Potato farming or driving a UPS truck? no, not so much.

I just saw the most entertaining basketball game of the season last night (if a heart attack is your idea of a good time, that is), when the Michigan State ladies came back from 16 points down in the second half to beat Tennesee. Now that's entertainment!

Piel said:
(and this is just a hypothetical situation ;) )
Helps prove to those whose favorite did not make the podium at Worlds that the CoP, secret judging, and Speedy truly suck (again, not my REAL feelings :p )
Oh, that is so true!!!!! I remember in 1999 Maria Butyrskaya beat Michelle for the World championship, we needed that spring cheesefest to put the earth back on its axis!

Mathman

Doggygirl said:
And I realize Marshall's was a competition. It just "seems" more entertainment in it's nature to me since it was right after Worlds, and US skaters only. That is in no way meant to diss the opinions of others - this is IMO only.DG
Exactly. It is hardly a competition. The two American divas take turn winning this thing. One will have shoe problems if she loses; the other will have back problems if she loses. The World champion is left out of this one. It could only confirm who may well be the best in the business.

Unfortunately, there is no Susanna, no Joannie, no Mao, no Yukina. I'm watching for Bebe.

Joe

To me, that is a ridiculous objection. The spring Marshall's event is not a international competition. On the ISU web site it is listed as an American national competition. This is exactly what it is. You can't blame a dog for not being a cat.

The December Marshall's event was an international competition. The winners were Irina Slutskaya and Evgeni Plushenko, both from Russia.

OK, maybe you don't like national competitons. I think both kinds are fine. I even enjoy U.S. Nationals, even though Susanna and the rest are not there.

Mathman

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
You know, I am sitting here wracking my brain about the spring cheesefests and if they've always been US skaters only and I don't think they have been. I think it varies depending on the format of the competition. Didn't they have Elena S and Fumie (I think) in 2003's spring cheesefest? I can't remember exactly but I do think that this spring cheesefest has changed formats so many times that its not consistantly US or international from year to year. It just so happened that this year, it was US skaters only. That's fine and dandy IMO. Hey, its skating, Michelle is in it, and it turned out to be a fun night of skating. I'll watch it when it airs on TV but I am easily entertained by skating, sport or not, LOL :laugh:

I still am not sure what the topic of this thread was, something about being tired??! LOL :rofl:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
How dare the USFS not invite foreign skaters. They pay for the competition, it's their money they're rewarding, and they are hosting it...but they still owe people!!! I would love to see another country sponser a competition like this so I can complain about all the skaters who weren't invited.

screech

Final Flight
So based on the newly updated world standings at the ISU site, who of the top 6 in each discipline, barring injury, do you think will opt to do 3 GP events, and who will settle on just 2?

MEN rankings
1. Evgeni Plushenko
2. Jeffrey Buttle
3. Emanuel Sandhu
4. Brian Joubert
5. Chenjiang Li
6. Evan Lysacek
(7-10 are Johnny Weir, Stefan Lindeman, Frederic Dambier and Kevin VDP)

LADIES rankings
1. Shizuka Arakawa
2. Miki Ando
3. Fumie Suguri
4. Irina Slutskaya
5. Yoshie Onda
6. Julia Sebestyen
(7-10 are Sasha Cohen, Carolina Kostner, Susanna Poykio, Joannie Rochette)

PAIRS rankings
1. Maria Petrova / Alexei Tikhonov
2. Qing Pang / Jian Tong
3. Dan Zhang / Hao Zhang
4. Julia Obertas / Sergei Slavnov
5. Xue Shen / Hongbo Zhao
6. Tatiana Totmianina / Maxim Marinin
(7-10 are Zagorska/Siudek, Mukhortova/Trankov, Inoue/Baldwin, Marcoux/Buntin)

DANCE rankings
1. Tatiana Navka / Roman Kostomarov
2. Albena Denkova / Maxim Staviski
3. Tanith Belbin / Benjamin Agosto
4. Isabelle Delobel / Olivier Schoenfelder
5. Marie-France Dubreil / Patrice Lauzon
6. Galit Chait / Sergei Sakhnovski
(7-10 are Grushina/Goncharov, Matthews/Zavozin, Domnina/Shabalin, Faiella/Scali)

VIETgrlTerifa said:
How dare the USFS not invite foreign skaters. They pay for the competition, it's their money they're rewarding, and they are hosting it...but they still owe people!!! I would love to see another country sponser a competition like this so I can complain about all the skaters who weren't invited.
It's not the invitations since the USFSA has a right to sponsor any kind of competition. It is the fans who take the competition seriously. Apparently, the US Nationals results may have been wrong. To me it is exhibition time, and it's always nice to see MK and SC do a end-of-season number.

Joe

flowjo35

On the Ice
I don't think these skaters consider this as just an exhibition skate, if so why show up. I think they come to win just like any other competition they enter. Just because there were no international skaters invited does not mean this is not a real skating event. It may not be nationals or worlds but at this point in the season its more skating, so I'll take it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Screech, the seeded skaters for the GP are not chosen from the ISU World Standings list, but from the top 6 finishers in each discipline at Worlds 2005.

The seeded skaters are:
MEN
1. Stephane Lambiel
2. Jeffrey Buttle
3. Evan Lysacek
4. Johnny Weir
5. Chengjiang Li
6. Brian Joubert

LADIES
1. Irina Slutskaya
2. Sasha Cohen
3. Carolina Kostner
4. Michelle Kwan
5. Fumie Suguri
6. Miki Ando

PAIRS
1. Totmianina / Marinin
2. Petrova / Tikhonov
3. Zhang / Zhang
4. Pang / Tong
5. Obertas / Slavnov
6. Savchenko / Szolkowy

ICE DANCE
1. Navka / Kostomarov
2. Belbin / Agosto
3. Grushina / Goncharov
4. Delobel / Schoenfelder
5. Denkova / Staviiski
6. Chait / Sakhnovsky

In addition to the seeded skaters, the skaters ranked 7-12 at Worlds 2005 are entitled to two GP events each.

These are:
MEN
7. Emanuel Sandhu
8. Kevin Van Der Perren
9. Frederic Dambier
10. Timothy Goebel
11. Andrei Griazev
12. Stefan Lindemann

LADIES:
7. Elena Sokolova
8. Susanna Poykio
9. Shizuka Arakawa
10. Elena Liashenko
11. Joannie Rochette
12. Julia Sebestyen

PAIRS
7. Zagorska / Siudek
8. Wakamatsu / Fecteau
9. Marcoux / Buntin
10. Volosozhar / Morozov
11. Inoue / Baldwin
12. Orscher / Lucash

ICE DANCE
7. Dubreuil / Lauzon
8. Domnina / Shabalin
9. Faiella / Scali
10. Wing / Lowe
11. Gregory / Petukhov
12. Kerr / Kerr

After each host country chooses 4 skaters from the top 12 at Worlds (2 seeded, 2 from 7-12 ), only then does the selection come from the top 36 on the ISU World Rankings (excluding skaters already selected).

In my opinion, here are the seeded skaters I think will do 3 events:
MEN: All the men except Weir.
LADIES: Kostner and Ando. Suguri is doubtful. Slutskaya and Cohen are unlikely to do 3 and we don't even know if Kwan will do any.
PAIRS: All, barring injury
ICE DANCE: Probably they all will do 3, with the possible exception of G/G. He seems to be perpetually injured.

Last edited:
KwanFan1212 said:
You know, I am sitting here wracking my brain about the spring cheesefests and if they've always been US skaters only and I don't think they have been. I think it varies depending on the format of the competition. Didn't they have Elena S and Fumie (I think) in 2003's spring cheesefest? I can't remember exactly but I do think that this spring cheesefest has changed formats so many times that its not consistantly US or international from year to year. It just so happened that this year, it was US skaters only.
Heather, if I remember correctly the last time there was an Americans only cheesefest was the last pre-Olympic year. I remember thinking at the time -- oho, USFS doesn't want to give aid and comfort to the enemy leading up the Olympics.

I might be all wet about that, but it seems kind of suspicious that only in Olympic years do the American powers that be circle the wagons, LOL.
Joesitz said:
Apparently, the US Nationals results may have been wrong.
I guess we'll find out on April 16th, LOL.

Mathman

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The previous two USFS spring events (2004 and 2003) were international, while the 2002 and 2001 events were internal USFS team events. So it looks as if the pre-Olympic and Olympic year events are internal.

Marshall's International Challenge, April 6, 2004.
Results, Ladies:
1. Sasha Cohen USA
2. Shizuka Arakawa JPN
3. Michelle Kwan USA
4. Miki Ando JPN
5. Irina Slutskaya RUS
6. Jennifer Kirk USA
7. Fumie Suguri JPN

Results, Men:
1.Evgeny Plushenko RUS
2. Brian Joubert FRA
3. Johnny Weir USA
4. Michael Weiss USA
5. Evan Lysacek USA
6. Tim Goebel USA

ABC International Challenge, April 8 2003:
Results, Ladies:
1. Michelle Kwan USA
2. Fumie Suguri JPN
3. Sasha Cohen USA
4. Ann Patrice McDonough USA
5. Irina Slutskaya RUS
6. Elena Sokolova RUS
7. Shizuka Arakawa JPN
8. Sarah Hughes USA

Results, Men:
1. Evgeni Plushenko RUS
2. Timothy Goebel USA
3. Michael Weiss USA
4. Chengjiang Li CHN

2002 Hershey's Kisses Team Challenge:

Team Lang Total 347.3
Todd Eldredge, 59.0
Timothy Goebel, 58.3
Lang & Tchernyshev, 58.0
Michael Weiss, 57.9
Matt Savoie, 57.7
Johnny Weir, 56.4

Team Zimmerman Total 345.3
Ina & Zimmerman 58.9
Michelle Kwan, 58.8
Sarah Hughes, 58.7
Sasha Cohen, 57.8
Jenny Kirk, 55.6
Angela Nikodinov, 55.5

2001 ABC Sports Great American Figure Skating Challenge
1. Michelle Kwan [29.5, 29.9] and Matt Savoie [28.7, 29.0] = 117.1
2. Angela Nikodinov [28.6, 29.0] and Lang/Tchernyshev [29.4,29.8] = 116.8
3. Sarah Hughes [28.7, 29.2] and Michael Weiss [28.7, 29.3] = 115.9
4. (tie) Timothy Goebel [29.2, 29.0] and Scott/Dulebohn [28.4, 28.8] = 115.4
4. (tie) Jennifer Kirk [27.9, 28.1] and Todd Eldredge [29.5, 29.9] = 115.4
6. Beatrisa Liang [27.3, 27.3] and Ina/Zimmerman [29.0, 29.5] = 113.1

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
KwanFan1212 said:
Glad to help out and here's something even scarier about those things. In the past for this last cheesefest after Worlds, I think they've actually shown ALL the skaters!! Can you imagine?!?! LOL :rock:

So I guess the lesson to be learned here it that we need to start bitching about the limited TV coverage EARLIER this year, maybe July or so. That way the TV stations will HEAR us and respond to our cries to show all the skaters by the time Oly's and World's get here.

;)

DG