Layback | Golden Skate

Layback

Hunnie12892

Spectator
Hi i have a few questions about Laybacks. I have pronated feet (feet that lean in) i dont know if that really changes anything, but when i try to do a layback it takes me a long time to get my foot in the right place and then when i lean my head back i feel like im going to fall backwards. I have no clue how to get a good layback and i need it to compete, any help?¿

bladebabe13

Rinkside
The first thing to a good layback is to practice the foot position without laying back. Once that is mastered, try laying back a little bit at a time. Worry about the position, then worry about speed and centering. It might be a long process, but a good way to get a good layback.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Are you pushing your hips forward as you try to lay back? Because if you are trying to do it with just the head and leg, you will fall. The hips pushing forward is very important! Try it holding onto the boards. :)

cborsky

Rinkside
skater1964 has great advice! :agree: You've gotta push your hips forward to counter the weight of your head and leg going backwards. And it's really helpful to try the position at the boards.

Face the boards and hold on with both hands. Back up a little so your spinning foot is about half a boot length away and then press your hips forwards until they touch the boards. It's important to keep square - keep your foot pointing perpendicular to the boards and your hips should meet parallel. If that distance is easy, move you foot farther from the boards and try again. As you push your hips forwards you will notice that you have to lean backwards to maintain balance.

Next, try the spin with your hands on your hips. Start the spin, then as you bring your freeleg backwards, push your hips forwards at the same time. Keep your stomach muscles strong as you're starting to lean backwards - it will help keep your position strong.

It's quite disorienting when you do spins with your head in a new position (like upside down) but you'll get used to the feeling and your spin will get better. I have feet that pronate as well and it doesn't affect my layback at all.

kayskate

Rinkside
I like to place my arms over my chest during the layback. At first, don't worry about reaching up and creating the curved ballet arms look. This will probably throw you onto your pick and cause you to lose balance.

Taking time to get into the layback is not a bad thing. make sure you are centered before arching your back. Yes, hips have to push out. back has to curve. Dropping your head will happen naturally as the back curves.

Kay