Finding Neverland Soundtrack | Golden Skate

Finding Neverland Soundtrack

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I just purchased the music from Finding Neverland and it is a real treat. I loved the movie and the music so went out and snapped up the cd. It's great. Right up there with the Hours soundtrack. Would be great music for Jeff Buttle to skate to.

brad640

On the Ice
Ladskater, I like your taste in music. I hope Jeff is reading your posts to get ideas for his program next year. Finding Neverland is a great soundtrack that deservedly won the Oscar for best score this year.

Shanti

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
I just purchased the music from Finding Neverland and it is a real treat. I loved the movie and the music so went out and snapped up the cd. It's great. Right up there with the Hours soundtrack. Would be great music for Jeff Buttle to skate to.

ITA. Finding Neverland Sountrack is very cool. And it suits Jeff quite well.

BTW do you think Joubert will choose Aviator Soundtrack?
Or there is already a thread about "music predictions and recommendations"?

JaneEyre5381

Rinkside
Hey guys this is Angie using Dasha's computer and screen name temporarily.

It could be said that Finding Neverland deserved the award, HOWEVER, the OTHER nominees in the category would have been better choices. The Passion and The Village are the two that stand out. My vote would have gone to The Village because the film depended so much on its orchestra and orchestration to make it emotionally powerful. With Harry Potter/Prisoner of Azkaban, it was nice, but nothing new from Williams. Lemony Snicket's was okay, but The Passion was better than either of these two.

Whenever I get into a conversation re: film scores here, it seems like no one knows truly what they're talking about. Pretty music and effective music are two different things in the film music genre.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
JaneEyre5381 said:

It could be said that Finding Neverland deserved the award, HOWEVER, the OTHER nominees in the category would have been better choices. The Passion and The Village are the two that stand out. My vote would have gone to The Village because the film depended so much on its orchestra and orchestration to make it emotionally powerful. With Harry Potter/Prisoner of Azkaban, it was nice, but nothing new from Williams. Lemony Snicket's was okay, but The Passion was better than either of these two.

Whenever I get into a conversation re: film scores here, it seems like no one knows truly what they're talking about. Pretty music and effective music are two different things in the film music genre.

Sorry, but I take offense at the comment "re: film scores here, it seems like no one knows truly what they're talking about. Pretty music and effective music things in the the film music genre."

I am quite knowledgeable about music. I play the piano, appreciate classical music and am quite a movie buff. "Finding Neverland" was more than just pretty music, just like the music for "the Hours", it was very effective and set the tone for each scene. Another great music score from a movie was "To Kill a Mockingbird" very effective indeed. Give that a listen and you will hear the suspense created by the late great Elmer Bernstein. Who, by the way, also scored the music for "Far From Heaven."

The "Finding Neverland " score deserved the Oscar.

JaneEyre5381

Rinkside
Bernstein is one of my favorite composers of the score genre. In fact, it is because of his The Ten Commandments that I started paying attention to film scores in the first place. Far From Heaven was well done, deserved the nomination but rightfully the Oscar went to Frida. Though not Goldenthal's best that he wrote, it was the best and hardest to compose in those nominees.

I have the Finding Neverland score as well, and I love its compoer whose name I cannot spell at the moment. This is his most sophisticated work, his best that he's ever done, but I stand by Newton Howard and/or Debney. Williams, his nomination was no surprise, and very nice with the film.

Which of the other nominees have you heard with their respective films?

K-Mo

On the Ice
JaneEyre5381 said:

I thought FN deserved the Oscar, but I was torn because I did love the other music so much. I actually think Williams' Askaban score was some of the finest he's done in awhile, and I liked the dark edge Newman's score gave to Lemony Snicket. But, as I also LOVE FN, I was glad it won. :biggrin:

anya_angie

Final Flight
I think this was the most competitive Best Score award in a VERY long time. Each of the nominees deserved the award, so I think it's just great to say that they were "all winners." Who needs a statuette to prove it? My heart is still broken for Newton Howard though. It will be incredibly difficult to top The Village.

Did you notice during the ceremony that the sheet music they showed for the nominees were not the right ones? The solo for The Village was there, but it was shown during The Passion. I forget what the others were though, but not the ones they showed.