COI 2005--Philly show | Golden Skate

COI 2005--Philly show

Yazmeen

On the Ice
I posted this same post on a COI thread on FSU, and I thought I'd post it here, too. The show was really wonderful, best COI I've seen in years.

The show was lightly attended, not great for COI, but nice for the audience. Because of the light attendance, the show had a more intimate feel to it. The quality of skating was incredible overall--I recall only one fall, Amber, and that was not during her solo. The Ladies, especially, were all spot on. Michelle's program was jumped packed, and she did four double axels in a row as her "star turn" in the cowboy/cowgirl closing.

One of the nicest things about the small audience was that they really seemed to appreciate ALL of the skaters, not just a couple of favorites. Even those not well known to the general audience (Pang and Tong being the best example) got very enthusiastic responses for their performances based upon the high quality of the skating. Michelle got the loudest applause, but there were no standing ovations (aside from a few people) or shrieking uber responses to any one performance or skater. The audience simply enjoyed the whole show, and that was really nice to experience.

Highlights for me were Michelle, whose performance makes me believe she's deliberately keeping up the tech on her best jumps throughout the tour to allow her to work on other things this summer--this simply wasn't the skate of someone looking to retire. Her program was beautiful, fluid and very elegant. Sasha's program was a perfect fit for her--I've never enjoyed her in exhibition as much as I did yesterday. Her Charlotte was breathtaking and she used it in the closing number to set up a gorgeous transition from her "star turn" to Jenny's. Jenny skated beautifully with a huge smile on her face. As she came around our end even my hubby stopped snapping photos and commented on how great she looked. Amber did a great program that suited her style. Irina was strong and looked wonderful, even if she did skate to Brittney Spears!! Interestingly, all these ladies and their flow and presentation showed just how juniorish Kimmie Meisner still is. Don't get me wrong, Kimmie skated great, but the arm movements, style and ability to relate to an audience just isn't there yet.

Pang and Tong were amazing, and the audience responded in kind. T and M did a beautiful program, and O and L showed the promise of a great future. I did like A and P's "Star Wars" -- it was different, skated well, and I thought the light saber section was choreographed very well considering the speed they kept throughout. Their costumes were perfect for the program. B and O and "Shadritsa" were amazing in person. Johny Weir didn't jump much, but the quality of the skating was glorious. My only real "ho-hums" were Timmy and Elvis. Tim looked tense out there (my husband asked if he was injured) and Elvis, well, his techno shtick is getting old, he's gained some weight, and he skated slow for Elvis, which IMO took away from the program. The acrobats did something fresh, not just same old-same old, and Dan Hollander's program was worth it just for the "Single-double-single" quick jumps to Richard Simmon's instructions.

I also felt the cowboy closing was the best closing number the tour has had in YEARS. Just the two full lines of skaters doing step dance footwork together was worth the cost of the ticket.

Overall, based upon the quality of skating and the audience enjoyment factor, this was the best COI we've seen in years. I would really encourage everyone to go--you won't be disappointed.

Vash01

Medalist
I am going to a 3pm show in San Jose on 4/30. I better check to make sure they have not changed the time.

Vash

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Anyone going to the Chicago COI?

I'm not much for show skating, as anyone who has read more than two of my posts knows already :)) ) but I'm thinking about heading to the COI at the United Center next Sunday and just buying a ticket at the counter - a "cheap seat" which from the Inernet, looks like $30. Sounds like it's a great show so far, so I just might bite!!

DG

I was at the Philadelphia show on Saturday as well. I had first row seats on the curve away from the tunnel.
The show was quite good this year. A great variety of skaters and the fact that there were some "new" ones this year really made it more interesting.
Pang/Tong, Orscher/Lucash, Corwin, Meisner, Anissina/Peizerat and Grushina/Gonchorov were all "first timers" for me.
The audience really did show their appreciation for everyone.
The closing number was indeed fun and done well.
Highlights for me were Rudy, O/L, P/T, A/P, Sasha, Elvis, T/M, and Johnny Weir. I think you could've heard a pin drop when Johnny skated "Unchained Melody"...it was simply breath taking!
Tim was the low point....I just find him to be rather sluggish and not a show-skater at all, he always seems to have a pained look on his face. Even newbie Kimmy Meisner was trying to look out to the audience more than Tim did.
The ticket prices for next year are ridiculous....$157 for first row, $112 for "VIP" whatever that means...I've heard the "VIP" simply means rows 2-6 and the next level starts at row 7 and those are $67. No way will be springing $157 to sit in the front row next year! $97 for this year was bad enough!!!

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Vash01 said:
I am going to a 3pm show in San Jose on 4/30. I better check to make sure they have not changed the time.

Vash

I'll be there too! Can't wait! :rock:
Rave

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We also attended the Philly COI show, and enjoyed it very much, particularly for the performances of Anisina & Peizerat, Tanith & Ben, Michelle, Johnny, Sasha, Pang & Tong, & T& M. It was great to see Amber Corwin (last time we got to see her live was at Skate America 2003), Kimmie, & Jenny.

My favorite COI finale is still "Bolero" from 2000!

Next year's front row & VIP seat prices are outrageous. If we go next year, we will settle for the $67 seats. We have been going to COI since 1988, and I save our ticket stubs. In all the other Olympic years (1988, 1992, 1994, 1998, 2002) there was no price gouging for those closer seats. I'd rather save my money for on-ice seats at SOI (yeah, I realize those prices are getting up there too) & multiple SOI shows.

Here is a link to lots of photos from the Philly show. Enjoy!

http://www.musicbyrachel.com/photos.htm

Last edited:

diamondqueen

On the Ice
Michelle in Phila COI

I was at COI in Philadelphia on Saturday and Michelle :thumbsup: was brilliant. She is keeping up with her jumps and looked and skated beautifully. Even in the group skating at the end, Michelle did 4 axels in a row and they looked great. She is working hard and it showed. Great show.

diamond ;)