"The Upside of Anger" | Golden Skate

"The Upside of Anger"

Antilles

Medalist
I saw this movie yesterday. It was great. It was both sad and very funny. The acting was terrific, especially Joan Allen. She deserves an Oscar nomination for this one. I'd highly recommend it.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thanks for the review, Antilles..........wish we had gone to see this movie instead of "Sin City"........42

brad640

On the Ice
Antilles said:
The acting was terrific, especially Joan Allen. She deserves an Oscar nomination for this one.

ITA Antilles! Joan Allen deserves a nomination for best actress. She has been great in so many films, especially in the Contender and as Pat Nixon in Nixon. I was disappointed when I saw the Notebook that she did not have much of a part, so it was great to see her in a strong leading role again in the Upside of Anger.

Also, all of the girls who play her daughters are terrific: Alicia Witt was so memorable as the oboe player in Mr. Holland’s Opus, Keri Russell from Felicity is gorgeous as a ballet dancer, Erika Chrisetnsen from Traffic, and Evan Rachel Wood, who should have won an Emmy for Once and Again and an Oscar nomination for Thirteen. With beautiful and talented actresses like these available, who keeps casting people like Tara Reid in movies?

Kevin Costner gets bashed from time to time for his flops like Waterworld, but I think he is a good actor and movie star. He had a great scene where he confronts Joan Allen’s character, and I was very moved by a well written monologue he had about the nuances of family life.

I thought the movie was a lot like Little Women updated for 2005. There were many funny scenes and truthful moments about relationships.