Is the Pope a Catholic? | Golden Skate

Is the Pope a Catholic?

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Hi Kzarah (and LuLu). Everyone has the right to their own beliefs whatever they may be. As a Catholic there are teachings of the Church that I have problems with. That said I respect the Church , the Holy Father, and all of the people who are grieving. IMO this should a time of prayer and reflection on the life of the Pope and a time for us to supportive of and sesitive to the feelings of others while our Church is in an official period of mourning. This is not the appropriate time for this kind of potentially divisive debate.

Last edited:

kzarah

On the Ice
Is the Pope the Catholic

Piel
Everyone has a right to his or her own beliefs in the secular world. In the Roman Catholic Church having your own beliefs is idolatry. This is creating your own God to suit your own needs. If you are Catholic you believe what the Church teaches unless it is heresy. John Paul has taught many heresies and there for is not the Pope. This is the teaching of the Roman Catholic Church. I know I have been Roman Catholic for 50 years. I went to a strict Catholic School and went to Mass everyday before School. Every three weeks we went to confession and Benediction on Friday. Believe me I have been taught the teaching of the church since birth. These people that are grieving are grieving for the wrong reasons. They should be grieving for what has become of their church. Sensitivity to other’s feelings is what has hurt the Church. I mean really, inviting Hindu’s to pray at the Chapel of Fatima. We don’t ‘want to speak the hurt any Hindu feelings now do we. Kissing the Koran is wrong. It says that you respect the belief in the Koran that denies the Trinity. We don’t want to make Muslims angry. Apologize to Jews what believe in the Talmud even though they believe in that Jesus was insane. Having a Hindu priestess anoint his head. In Christianity we do not validate other religions by saying that theirs are also a path to God and eternal future reserved only for those that are righteous, and must be bought with the blood of the Lamb of God, (Acts 4:12 & I Timothy 2:3 & John 14:6. Refusing to take the Papal Oath when he was made pope and refusing to take the papal crown is suspicious in its self. Now, people are hailing him as John Paul the Great. It should be John Paul the Great Apostatized Catholic Pope Pray that Roman Catholics learn their faith and practice it. We should be praying for his soul rather than bewailing the loss of what never was.
Daniel and Little Lulu

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
if Catholism (sp) is the only "true" way and it strictly follows the teaching of Christ, then Catholism is hypochrisy in itself. Because Jesus himself said HE would save, not the church... Catholics did not exist in His time ;)

I think the Pope was closer to the truth than a lot of priests in this area...

not in for an arguement as I am not an expert on the Catholic religion... I am friends with many, and my mom grew up Catholic but is now Southern Baptist... but as far as understanding the workings of "the church" I have little background info on it.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Why is it, Daniel, that the people who claim to be the most religious never remember the phrase, "Judge not, lest ye be judged"? This is why I dislike organized religion.

John Paul II did a lot to promote peace and tolerance in this world, a lesson you clearly missed. And do your research on the Jewish religion before you come here spouting nonsense about it.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
God bless you Kzarah. I am not a perfect Catholic but a work in progress. A lot can be said for tolerance of the beliefs of others. We have people of all faiths on this board so please do not insult them it is against GS rules.....

Posts that support or espouse hatred towards another individual or group based upon any criteria (including race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, beliefs, etc.)

Blue Bead

Medalist
I'm really surprised that anyone would make this kind of post on any message board anywhere unless it were a satanic one. Kzarah, I guess I don't really understand the point you are trying so desparetly to make with it. A very holy man has just died who was loved by hundreds of thousands of people throughout the world, and, I guess, your opinion is an attempt to blaspheme everything that Pope John Paul stood for in his life. Okay, granted you did not personally agree with what he stands for or, for that matter, apparently even the Catholic religion. I find it appalling that anyone would call the man a heretic regardless of whatever defintion you can dredge up. Let the man rest in peace, please.

Blue Bead

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I'm sorry, but I just cannot go along with what you are saying, Daniel. I have never read any of that in any Bible. I am a Christian and I only have one judge, our Lord. I don't want to get into any of this. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Catholics are the only Christians. I believe that if you want on a forum to talk about your beliefs like this, why don't you start your own board. This is just not the place for it. Hope you don't hate me for this but it doesn't really matter if you do. I'm wondering if we shouldn't just shut this topic down as it can only be hurtful. And you know Granny doesn't like for people to be hurt. :cry:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Wow, what a post! That was nearly two thousand years of Catholic doctrine referenced, and I'm impressed with the thoroughness of the article.

That said, I must say that personally, I'm overjoyed that more recent Pontiffs have rejected the doctrine of exclusion in respect to other faiths. While I disagreed vehemently with many of the late Pope's positions, I thought that his reaching out to Jews and Muslims was a beautiful (and long overdue) act. We are all brothers and sisters - His Holiness understood that. His anti-war stance and love for the poor are positions I wish more world leaders would embrace. His transformation of the College of Cardinals into a diverse, multi-national body is a remarkable achievement as well.

Call it heresy if you must. I have nothing but respect for your right to do so. (Card-carrying ACLU member here.) But we haven't even buried that poor old man yet! I'm not asking anybody to respect the Pope, but I can ask that respect be shown to those of us who might be offended or pained by your opinions at this very sad moment. Thank you.

To all of you - may the deity of your choice walk by your side, always.
xoxo,
Rave

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kzarah:

I edited your long post since the link you provided works. But just curious: Who is Patrick John Pollock? I'm assuming you know a great deal about him - at least as much as the Pope - since you have strongly quoted him.

No religion is without it's own faults, mistakes, etc. Please bear this in mind should you continue to post. Not sure why you started it anyway, but would like to direct you to the Guidelines as well.

kzarah

On the Ice
Is the pope a catholic

Yes we must respect other beliefs but not accept them as valid. We must love and pray for people who do not believe in our God. This is the teaching of the Church. As I respect everyone's right to bebeive and worship as they are compelled, you should also respect my right to form an opinion of what is going on in my faith and the heresies being practiced in my faith as I have been taught to do. .JPII was a peace loving and diplomatic and even lovable man. I loved him, too. We have often prayed for his conversion in our Church. But, as a pope he was not good. Yes we should remember him in our prayers. We do not hate him. We (true Catholics) are to follow the teaching of the church unless it is heresy. We recognize Jesus Christ as the Second Person of the Trinity. Each person of the Trinity is God individually and jointly. We respect other beliefs in that we respect the right to believe what you will and pray as you do, but we do not invite other doctrine into our church. We don’t not invite people who worship other gods to worship them in our Church. For example, At a Mass at a Shrine to St. Francis of Assisi in Assisi Italy JPII placed a statue of Buddha on top of the tabernacle for the Mass that he said there. Buddha and Jesus are two different Gods one false and one true, according to the teaching of the Church. You won't ivite a Hindu to pray on your alter anymore than a Hindu would invite you to eat a quaterpounder with cheese in a Hindu Temple. Now, because we do not as a rule acknowledge the gods of others in our faith, does not mean that we don't respect them or love them. I struggle with this teaching myself. I know many people who are not traditional Catholics. Some very wonderful people that I know and love have no belief in any supreme being at all. I see no reason why they should not be saved. I don’t know that it would be heaven with out them there. It's the teaching of the Church. This is still the teaching of the Church. JPII was the head of the Church and he should not have compromised his faith. This is not my teaching and I struggle to accept it. I pray a lot about it. This is what the Catholic Church drilled into our heads as children. When we were children and made our Confirmation, we vowed to uphold these teachings. WE made this vow before God. So all I am doing is being a good Catholic and keeping my promiss to God. So you see this is why he is a bad pope and not the great pope that everyone claims him to be. Is he in heaven? I don’t thinks so. But maybe he made it to Purgatory. Lets pray that if he is in Purgatory tht his time there is short.
Daniel
PS
JPII had a great devotion to Our Lady of Fatima. If you are really interested, look up the third secret of Fatima.
D

Last edited:

kzarah

On the Ice
Is the Pope a Catholic

Even if you are from another Christian Denomination maybe you will be able to understand this. Under the Papacy of JPII, The Blessed Virgin Mary is now being called the Mother of God $ Co-redemtrix. This puts Mary equal with Jesus. This is an example of heresy, this is not Catholic, being practiced in the Roman Catholic Church. I love the BVM and pray to her, but she is not God.
Daniel

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes we must respect other beliefs but not accept them as valid.

No one said you had/have to accept anyone's belief as valid. However, as above, I ask again: Why start a post like this to begin with?

While the Cafe is for general off topic discussion, why begin a thread in such a negative tone that you KNOW will be offensive? And at such an untimely manner?

Religion and Political debates will become heated no matter what. That's a given.

Nuff said.

kzarah

On the Ice
The reason I started the thread is because all these people are praising a man that is not what he says that he is. It gives people the wrong idea of what the Roman Catholic Church is. Who says that the truth is negative. If knowledge offends people then they have a choice. If I don’t want people to have misconceptions of the Roman Catholic Faith then I have a choice. I choose to inform them. I will inform them. That is what the Church teaches. As a good Catholic I am defending my faith and heritage. Anyway, this is what we are being taught at our church and many surrounding churches as well. Wouldn’t JPII want me to obey the teachings of the faith that he and I were taught?
Daniel

Tenorguy

On the Ice
John Paul II

Kzarah - how sad for you. That's all I can say. How very very sad.

John Paul II showed the love of Christ more brightly in one day than you will possibly ever show in your whole life.

To say "Good Riddance" to an imperfect, yet courageous bridge-builder is so beyond the pale at his passing - I'm a little breathless.

God willing and the creek don't rise that your version of catholic "truth" never catches on.

PS Daniel and Lulu - Our Lady must be ashamed of you; I know I am.

Tenorguy

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kzarah: I think you are missing the point on the media hoop-la. He is being praised on what he did as a leader of a religious church - not for the title he held. But this is irrelevant.
Once again, I ask that you show compassion and good judgement in your posts. There is no need to defend your faith and beliefs in this forum. No one has attacked them. :) If they do, report them IAW the Guidelines.

curious

Final Flight
Tenorguy said:
Kzarah - how sad for you. That's all I can say. How very very sad.

John Paul II showed the love of Christ more brightly in one day than you will possibly ever show in your whole life.

To say "Good Riddance" to an imperfect, yet courageous bridge-builder is so beyond the pale at his passing - I'm a little breathless.

God willing and the creek don't rise that your version of catholic "truth" never catches on.

these kind of people know they will never be half as good as the Pope was. A great decent very humble man till the end. he was buried in a simple wood coffin,doesn't that tell you the kind of man he was?

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Ending on a Positive Note

Curious - ITA and in the spirit of this week of human unity, let love and humility ultimately triumph over blindness!

Tenorguy

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Well I think by the events of this past week that the world and the Church recognize Pope John Paul II as a Catholic and as great and holy man.. It is in God's hands now.