COI Long Island | Golden Skate

COI Long Island

33leprechaun

Rinkside
I'm glad for you that had the chance to go and I'm sure you enjoyed the show.

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
I was at the show. Had great seats right near the tunnel where the skaters come out!
Michelle was excellent. She did (in her solo), a 2A ... 3F ... 3L/2T ... 3F. All of them were nicely landed. She looks extremely happy ... was laughing and smiling a lot the entire night.
She did four 2A's in the finale ... that was quite remarkable if you ask me.

Rudy was loads of fun. I appreciate his ability to entertain an audience. I also loved Timmy's program and also A&P.

Jenny had a rough night ... fell three times.

Sasha's program is full of personality ... now if she could just combine that with some jumps. She did a 2A and then attempted a triple of some sort (maybe a sal or a toe), but fell out of it. That was it for jumps. Of course she included all her WOW moves.

I really liked the show. I just wish we would get the tour a little later here on the east coast, because it definitely gets better once they've toured with it awhile.
The finale is loads of fun ... kind of nice to see the skaters let their hair down a bit.

Oh how I wish we'd get COI on TV again!

33leprechaun

Rinkside
nymkfan51 said:
I was at the show. Had great seats right near the tunnel where the skaters come out!
Michelle was excellent. She did (in her solo), a 2A ... 3F ... 3L/2T ... 3F. All of them were nicely landed. She looks extremely happy ... was laughing and smiling a lot the entire night.

Rudy was loads of fun. I appreciate his ability to entertain an audience. I also loved Timmy's program and also A&P.

Jenny had a rough night ... fell three times.

Sasha's program is full of personality ... now if she could just combine that with some jumps. She did a 2A and then attempted a triple of some sort (maybe a sal or a toe), but fell out of it. That was it for jumps. Of course she included all her WOW moves.

I really liked the show. I just wish we would get the tour a little later here on the east coast, because it definitely gets better once they've toured with it awhile.
The finale is loads of fun ... kind of nice to see the skaters let their hair down a bit.

Oh how I wish we'd get COI on TV again!
thanks for the info :)

mzheng

Record Breaker
nymkfan51 said:

!

I was at the show of NJ, the day before. Diddn't see her do combo. The single 3lutz was doubled. And also doubled 3F at the opening. But again the NJ shows almost every one made some mistakes.

We were kind excited with that four 2A's in the finale too ... then we were told "that's nothing to get excited about. she usually dose 5 2As in a row in practice", :love: . Good to hear she put combo in the show program.

Michelle should put those 4 double Axels into her competitive program. I think there is no Zayak rule on doubles. Four double Axels are worth 13.2 points -- more than a quad Axel (13.0 points)!

IIRC that was Sonia Henie's most popular move -- two (single) Axels in a row.

MM

Last edited:

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Michelle should put those 4 double Axels into her competitive program. I think there is no Zayak rule on doubles. Four double Axels are worth 13.2 points -- more than a quad Axel (13.0 points)!
I don't think that Michelle's multiple double axels would count as a single jump element -- there is too much skating in between. So to take up 4 of the allowed 7 jump elements by double axels would NOT be a good option at all, since the 3.3 points each would earn is less than even the "easiest" triple -- i.e. 4.0 for the toe loop. Now, if she could combine a 2A with a 3T in a combination, that would be a COP bonus, because it would allow for the possibility of a 7-triple program (assuming her 3loop is back). But, regardless, I think it's great news that her double axel is secure enough to be able to do 4 of them in quick succession.

But couldn't she cut down on the steps a little and do a 2A+2A+2A+2A+SEQ (a sequence, rather than a combination, in CoP-speak), and have that count as just one jumping pass?

For that matter, could Slutskaya do a 2loop-2loop-2loop-2loop-2loop-2loop-2loop-2loop-2loop-2loop as one of her combinations?

I ran into NYMKFan after the show and we didn't even know it for about 10 minutes. We were the only people waiting out the traffic in the lobby of the Marriott across the street. Get that smirk off your mind, Mathman. NYMKFan and I do NOT hang out in motel lobbies as a rule. At least NYMKFan doesn't.:p

The last and only other time MKFan and I saw each other was at Campbell's in NYC in fall '03. NYMKFan left out one crucial detail: At the end of the finale, some of the skaters threw their cowboy hats into the audience--don't worry, they're not exactly Stetsons. NYMKFan caught Tatiana Totmianina's hat. Pretty cool! :agree:

As were Michelle's four 2Axels. That's a pretty cool idea for Michelle and those 2Axels, Mathman. Maybe somebody ought to let Team Kwan know about it--after we double check the COP. ;)

My review: Good show. A few clunkers, as usual. At least Viktor Petrenko skated sans puppets. Was especially impressed with Johnny Weir and Totmianina & Marinin of the skaters I'd not seen skate live before. Kimmie Meissner looked stronger and more flowing in person than on TV, IMO. I'm not a fan of hoe-down themes, but the skaters put their all into the finale and looked to be having genuine fun.

Rgirl

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
But couldn't she cut down on the steps a little and do a 2A+2A+2A+2A+SEQ (a sequence, rather than a combination, in CoP-speak), and have that count as just one jumping pass?

For that matter, could Slutskaya do a 2loop-2loop-2loop-2loop-2loop-2loop-2loop-2loop-2loop-2loop as one of her combinations?
At most three jumps are counted toward a combination.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think if Irina can do Bielman-skate-Bielman-skate and jump-Bielman spiral, Bielman close, Michelle should be allowed to do her 4 2As!

nymkfan51

Medalist
It was great seeing you again Rgirl! Maybe if you go to the LI show next year, you can meet with us before the show for dinner at the Marriott.
And yes, I did get Tatiana's cowboy hat! That was so cool. :clap:

I have to admit, I wouldn't want Michelle trying so many 2A's in a competition. I was a nervous wreck the other night ... I was praying her legs would hold out!
She never ceases to amaze me though. I don't see at all someone who thinks she's done. Her jumps were secure and even included a 3/2 combo. She may just surprise everyone next season! :)