American Idol 4-5, 4-6 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

American Idol 4-5, 4-6

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I don't know, Realistic..........My top four are Constantine, Bo, Nadia, and Carrie........any one of them could win and I'd be satisfied. I think Carrie will be in the top two, as to the other, they could trade places with each other right down to the wire........(okay, so he didn't hold that note quite true, but no one else has tried to change their singing style as much as Con has........you gotta give him props for that....... ;) ) 42

I'm late getting my post in on this and already know who went home, but won't spoil it for those who may not have seen the 4/6 show yet.....
Just listing them best to worst, IMO.
Carrie
Constantine
Nadia
Vonzell
Bo
Anwar
Anthony
Scott
Nikko

swannanoa54

On the Ice
show 42 said:
I don't know, Realistic..........My top four are Constantine, Bo, Nadia, and Carrie........any one of them could win and I'd be satisfied. I think Carrie will be in the top two, as to the other, they could trade places with each other right down to the wire........(okay, so he didn't hold that note quite true, but no one else has tried to change their singing style as much as Con has........you gotta give him props for that....... ;) ) 42

I gave him props, show. I put him in first place despite that last note and the smarmy looks. :rofl:

My top four are Nadia, Carrie, Bo and Anwar. Oops, I have a top 5. Vonzell. I had a top 6-Nikko, but something went wrong. Darn it all! :mad:

Blade1

On the Ice
Of course I want to give a little plug as well for a site that I visit quite often. I'm a HUGE FAN of Anthony Fedorov, on this years American Idol, and I have been a huge supporter of his Official Site & Forum. I just wanted to plug the site, its the least I can do for Anthony, considering I can't vote for him.

wildout-banner-01.png

http://idol.wildinout.com/

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Once again Scott escaped getting voted off. I can't believe it! He has to go!!!!!!!!!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Lad, he will go next week... with all the stuff that came out about him this week I can't imagine him sticking around

Nikko deserved to go

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think Scott looks like he is very uncomfortable on stage. I don't think I have ever seen him smile. As someone else said if you close your eyes he sounds very good. RGal is this something that he can work on and successfully change? OTOH my original fav Anwar just seems too relaxed and mellow. He needs to sing something that makes everyone want to get up and MOVE!

Blade1

On the Ice
I had thought for sure that Scott would be saying GoodBye last night ! I'm not a HUGE fan of Scott. Infact we have not yet seen Scott sing any "upbeat" songs since he was in the Top 12. They have all been ballots, or slow songs. Why not sing something to bring the house down ????

Nikko wasn't one of my favorites either, I am not sad to see him go. He is talented, and I am sure that he will have a great future and get a record deal.

Fantasia's performance was terrible last night. People like what she does ??? I can't understand. Who "screams" when they sing anyways? Is she trying to act like Tina Turner ???

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Piel said:
I think Scott looks like he is very uncomfortable on stage. I don't think I have ever seen him smile. As someone else said if you close your eyes he sounds very good.

He looks creepy! If I saw him on the street, I'd run the other way. I just don't get the "I wanna be a gangster" look. Ugh!

Eeyora

Final Flight
Rgirl said:
AI has to pay the royalties for every song that might be sung. So the contestants have to choose from a list. Why do you think there were no Broadway songs from the last 20 years last night? Why did we get all the old chestnuts?
Rgirl

That makes sense. I was wondering. I hope this kids would have known something from our latest movie musicals, Phantom, Evita, Certainly explains why there wasn't anything from "Lion King" or "Beauty and the Beast" No way is Fox paying Disney royalties

But there was no Chicago which I would assume one of those kids has seen that movie. Fosse's dead.

Wasn't Constatine in Rent?
Rgirl said:
Now if "Hair" was on the list and Bo didn't choose it, "gimme his head with hair, bloodied chopped up hair!"

Rgirl

LOL

Just for the heck of it, my AOL (I hate AOL!) homepage had a link to "AOL American Idol." So I checked it out and saw they had a poll of which judge should be fired. It broke down something like this:
Percent who wanted to fire--
Paula--63%
Randy--24%
Simon--13%

The first few seasons Paula seemed to balance things out and actually criticized lousy performances. But this season, she gives a standing ovation to at least one singer every night and gushes to the point of barfing.

On one of those entertainment "news" shows, Paula very seriously said that it was her job to keep Simon and Randy's unbridled criticism in check.

I say Paula is the one who's got to go ASAP. She is bugging the doo-doo out of me this season. And from the results of the AOL poll, it looks like I'm not the only one.

Rgirl

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Well, I missed the whole thing due to being over at a friend's house -- and he'd watch a Monster Truck Pull before he'd watch even one SECOND of "AI", but I gather (a) I didn't miss much, and (b) this thread seems infinitely more entertaining. :laugh: :laugh:

I TOTALLY think Bo should have done "Hair". And I also TOTALLY think that Paula has pretty much been sloshed for about the last 4 broadcasts. I also think it would have been amusing if -- I'm thinking Carrie -- had done "Eat Your ******* Cornflakes" from the musical "Angry Housewives"..... :laugh:

What I am most curious about, however, is if any of y'all have heard the "Scott and Nadia are a couple" rumors that have been floating around, and if so, what's your take? I'm having a hard time picturing it myself, and I should think she could do a LOT better if it is true.....

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I'm getting tired of the constant "Scott looks creepy" comments. The guy is trying to build a better life for himself, and until I know the full extent of the details about his past wrestle with the law, I reserve judgement. I still love his voice. It's warm, melodic and soothing.

I agree with the "Carrie is wooden" comment above. That was a very appropriate word to use. That girl has the most wonderful voice and the most non-descript, boring stage presence. Actually, she doesn't really have any stage presence... yet. I do believe the potential is there once she lets go of her desire to try to be so perfect all the time. Time for her to cut loose!

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Scott's Vocals

RealtorGal - thanks for sticking up for Scott! I think he's really trying to do something and I agree that for me, he has one of the most sincere emotional connections to his music. I'm sure some people would be surprised by that - Scott comes off as being very "unworldly", but for me that's honesty. I don't think I trust Constantine, or even Bo with the sincerity of their feelings.

As a voice teacher (right?), you must also agree that Scott needs much better support towards the end of his air. He holds his breathing rigid - the straight tone - and then only releases his breath and allow the vibrato in at the end of the phrase. I used to do this and it started to kill my voice. I hope someone can fix that.....

Carrie needs about 6 months of acting lessons and scene preparation. She has the music down, and the voice well produced. She needs to explore what the WORDS MEAN! She needs someone to get her imagination flowing - once she does that and finds the key to the inner life of the song, she will fly! Just like Sasha!

Tenorguy

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think if a skater's appearance had been criticised like Scott's posters would be claiming bashing.

Eeyora

Final Flight
JonnyCoop said:
And I also TOTALLY think that Paula has pretty much been sloshed for about the last 4 broadcasts. I
QUOTE]
Oh my gosh I noticed that not so much thyis past week but last week. She then was on Leno where she was pretty tipsy as well.

Tenorguy said:
RealtorGal - thanks for sticking up for Scott! I think he's really trying to do something and I agree that for me, he has one of the most sincere emotional connections to his music. I'm sure some people would be surprised by that - Scott comes off as being very "unworldly", but for me that's honesty. I don't think I trust Constantine, or even Bo with the sincerity of their feelings.

As a voice teacher (right?), you must also agree that Scott needs much better support towards the end of his air. He holds his breathing rigid - the straight tone - and then only releases his breath and allow the vibrato in at the end of the phrase. I used to do this and it started to kill my voice. I hope someone can fix that.....

Carrie needs about 6 months of acting lessons and scene preparation. She has the music down, and the voice well produced. She needs to explore what the WORDS MEAN! She needs someone to get her imagination flowing - once she does that and finds the key to the inner life of the song, she will fly! Just like Sasha!

Tenorguy
ITA with you and Rgal. I was the one who encouraged people to listen to Scott with their eyes closed and then the next week was the first time he went flat. But those things can be easily fixed with his voice. He just needs some voice lessons with a good teacher. Randy was so right when he got after Anwar about losing the key on the soft low notes and Scott has a similar problem.

However, when it comes to knowing what the lyrics mean and being able to convey those feelings, Scott, IMO, is the only one who has it. It's a lot easier to fix a basically good voice that needs some fine tuning (sorry) than it is to convey to a 19-year-old farm girl that this song is about having your heart ripped out or the sensuality of love. Just examples. If Scott looked like Bo, people would be going crazy over him.

As for Scott's past problems, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynne, Aretha Franklin, Billie Holiday, and almost every great male crooner from the '40s through '60s were not exactly examples of fidelity and good little do-bees. This is not excusing whatever Scott did, but it's water under the bridge. Often our ability to connect with others comes from our worst mistakes. After hearing the allegations, I replayed his "Against the Odds" (a song I hate) and really heard the emotional depth he gave to what's often thought of as one of the great cornball songs of all time. I'm with Rgal; let's wait and see.

Having said that, I do think the producers played double standards on that count with Frenchie. But they're learning as they go too.

Rgirl

P.S. Hey Tenorguy, I got a new siggy, lol.

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Carrie Underwood

I do have a problem or two with several of Carrie's performances. However, that being said, she passes the radio-mimicry test (listening not looking at the screen) on every song. She has not hit any embarassingly off key notes in the entire competition, but she has only been terrific two or three times.

She made a fantastic first impression in week one and was superb singing in her comfortable genre, Country. She was really terrific singing "Alone" by Heart, a song I have seen Live and have heard often. She had more energy and flair in the power of her voice in that performance. She sang another week with energy in her comfort zone. Outside of that, she has been dull, but a great singer.

This is enough potential to be a pop star. Also, she is pretty and marketable to fans of Brittney, Christina and Country fans and can cross over on the charts. She is definitely good enough.

Pop Stars have their own comfort zones and styles. They can't perform terrifically well in all genres of songs all the time. They also have the help of the studios and technicians to release songs with no errors. Some are bad in concert and have even lip synched.

With all that known and in perspective, it would be safe to say she has all she needs to do well if she develops correctly.