American Idol 4-5, 4-6 | Golden Skate

American Idol 4-5, 4-6

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Tough night, you'd think show tunes would be easier to sing....here's my ranking from tonight.

1. Constantine......you can say what you like, but his vocals and audience appeal have him, for me, now in the top three........

2. Carrie...strong vocals, great range, but a little flat on the "appeal" side tonight.

3. Nadia......strongly in the top four with her performance tonight.....

4. Vonzell......good rendition of "People". Her voice seems a bit strained on the high notes.

5. Anthony........I'm still waiting for his "break-out" performance.....

6. Anwar......better tonight, but I don't get the love Randy and Paula have over his voice.

7. Bo.........I don't think he has to worry tonight, but he'd better step it up a notch or he'll lose his top four spot.

8. Scott.......weak vocals, I thought anyway.

9. Nikko.....thought his song choice was mess. His voice was all over the place.

Simon was the only one who has the gumption to tell it like it is. Looked liked Paula has been dipping in the cooking sherry again...........42

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
show 42 said:
2. Jessica.....strong vocals, great range, but a little flat on the "appeal" side tonight.

Looked liked Paula has been dipping in the cooking sherry again...........42

Uhm....Show??? Was paula dipping alone? :p

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Show Tunes! Whoot!

This is definitely my kind of theme! My impressions from this week, as the contestants performed:

Scott, "Impossible Dream": Beautiful song. Poor execution. I hate that little fake vibrato he's got going on, and his upper register is pretty weak. But the reason that he needs to go this week has nothing at all to do with his voice. If they can give Frenchy (sp?) the boot a few seasons ago for doing nude shots while she was broke, then Domestic Violence Guy should have been shown the door when his 2001 arrest became common knowledge. They shouldn't leave it to the audience. Can anyone say "double standard"?

Constantine, "My Funny Valentine": sounds like Con knows his show tunes! Color me impressed. Up until the final note, he did a great job with an arrangement I'd never heard. His hair even looked cleaner. Holy expletive deleted, I'm ITA with Randy and Paula! Alert the media!

Carrie, "Hello, Young Lovers": all the wonderful songs she could have chosen and we get this? Nice vocal, but too safe, too boring. Great finish though. The girl can sing.

Vonzell, "People": She gets better every week! Hooray! The song choice, however, was a little distracting because I've been working on a parody of this song that begins "People...Soylent Green is...people..." (What can I say? People who eat people are the yuckiest people in the world.)

Anthony, "Climb Every Mountain": (~uncontrollable cackling, literally on the floor~) I'd like this better if he came out in a nun's habit. I still can't take this kid seriously. Each week, he reinforces my conviction that he'd be very popular as a cruise ship singer. The blue-hairs would adore him.

Nikko, "One Hand, One Heart": This arrangement could hit today's R&B charts. He didn't hit all the notes well, but he was selling that song. Another lovely surprise from a singer I didn't have high hopes for.

Anwar, "If Ever I Would Leave You": Oh, why "Camelot"? The song isn't a favorite of mine by a long shot, but the best vocal he's had in weeks. He can stay.

Bo, "Corner of the Sky": okay, so I don't know from "Pippin", and I can't remember having ever heard this song before. Were the snippets from "Love the One You're With" in the original? No matter - he sounded great, and I love the way he's working that camera over with his eyes. But he's not top three this week - so far, Constantine and (~gasp!~) Nikko were better tonight, IMHO.

Nadia, "As Long As He Needs Me": She went flat in the middle of the final note. One flaw in an otherwise excellent performance. And she looked great!

Top 3: Nadia, Constantine, Nikko.

Bottom 2 (couldn't justify putting anyone else at the bottom of the list this week): Anthony and Scott, obviously with Scott going home.

Until next Tuesday,
Rave

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Nah.........maybe a little too much green tea, though...... :laugh: I thought she looked too much like Donna Reed tonight, or maybe June Cleaver....... :) 42

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
But you do know that it was Carrie and not Jessica? :rofl:

Piel (who first thing tomorrow is going to try green tea)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Frankly, I was as unmoved as Simon by these cruiseship level performances. The best performance for me was actually Nikko. I was extremely moved by his performance, even though his voice is not especially unique. For me the performance is at least as important as the actual vocal talent.

Constantine really does get it -- that he's not a rocker and other styles suit him much better. I just cannot stand his constant bedroom eyes mugging. It's just so incredibly fake.

As Mr. RG said, Bo has a star voice and there's nothing that can take away from it. He's my absolute favorite, but this song choice was lacking. See my above post.

Carrie sounded like a country singer singing a musical theater song in a talent show.

Vonzell did a very good job tonight. Scott was good. Anthony was painful to hear. Nadia, Anwar... yeah, yeah... whatever. No one had a true breakout performance, like we heard with Fantasia last year singing "Summertime."

The thing that creates the American Idol is the growth we see over the season. Many start out good but do not improve. They either regress as panic sets in or they just appear to get worse as others begin to improve and shine. They can either move beyond just their potential into true artists or get left by the wayside.

Last edited:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
RealtorGal said:
Why, oh why, didn't Bo sing "Hair" ?!? He would have rocked the house!

That's it, RG, I have to sign off and pull out the vinyl now! (~singing~) 'Gimme a head with hair, long beautiful hair...'
:rock:
Rave

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Ohhhhh..........yep, I'm channeling Jessica through Carrie again......still not over her getting cut last week...........I changed it....thanks Piel......... :laugh: 42

ranjake

Final Flight
I missed it, stuck at work late! :mad: Does any extraordinarily kind person feel like doing a critique of each "idol" and what the judges said re: each?Pleasssssse!!!?

childfreegirl

Final Flight
I almost missed this last night b/c I thought it was on at 8 instead of 7 and happened to find it before Scott's performace was over. Which brings me to my bottom three.

1. Scott - why dosen't the public get a clue and boot him off??? I don't think I can take another week! He freaks me out. Ewwww!

2. Nikko - Ugh! Spare me! I've never been into him and last night confirmed it big time.

3. Anthony

Top three:

1. Bo

2. Constantine

3. Anwar

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Weighing in...

RGal, ITA that I like to see the Whole Package including the performance - not just someone standing there singing the song.

The way Nadia puts a complete package together every week really appeals to me. And it's a different package every week so I've realized I'm at a point where I anticipate her performances the most every week.

Constantine's "mugging" rubs me the wrong way too RGal. I will concede that in spite of the mugging, he made my personal top 2 last night, along with Nadia.

I think my non-performance award for last night goes to Carrie. She put NOTHING on that stage to reflect what a light song about young love should be.

I really like Anwar a lot at first, but he's grown boring. It just seems that every week, regardless of the theme, he pulls out some ballady soppy sounding thing. Once in awhile is OK, but I'm losing interest fast.

Where are you Bo????? I'm saving my PANTIES for you!!!!! COME BACK!!!!!! I hope he can pick something to rock the house with next week.

Nikko just doesn't do it for me - and that's just more personal taste than anything else. Here's a nit picker observation though. Hasn't that song been sung at about a billion weddings? The fact that he was wearing a hat bugged me. I could hear my Grandfather, God rest his soul, saying "Boy, take your HAT off in church!"

Vonzell was number 3 for me last night. The vocals weren't perfect, but she gets my "most improved" award over the last several weeks.

Scott has never been one of my favorites, but he's fading quickly towards the bottom for me.

ANTHONY HAS GOT TO GO!! LOL with the poster who suggested he should have just worn a habit as a costume. That would have made his total package as cheesy as his singing was last night.

Paula is starting to get on my nerves. Her contract must state "in order to get your paycheck, you MUST say ONLY nice things about EACH and EVERY performance." I'm getting a tooth ache from all that sugar and syrup. Geez - even Simon The Anti-Paula occassionally inserts a compliment into the negative side of things.

So...the only negative thing for me about losing Anthony tonight would be loss of the Potty Break Singer.

;)

DG

Two things are clear:
Rgal is brilliant and American Idol is cheap.

AI has to pay the royalties for every song that might be sung. So the contestants have to choose from a list. Why do you think there were no Broadway songs from the last 20 years last night? Why did we get all the old chestnuts?

And why do you think we would get guest weeks for the songs of, oh, Barry Manilow just as Manilow was about to release his first album in Zzzz years?

"Grease my palm with cash/ green beautiful cash/ Tens and twenties, hundreds for a bash!"

On the one hand, why give the top 10 gold when we can tell who's good and who's not with "People"? ("People, people who eat people, were in "Night of the Living Dead" before "Soylent Green." Love your version, Ravyn. Can you use my line?) OTOH, AI is making "millions, for people who want billions" and they can afford to allow us to evaluate these performers and give us good songs too.

Now if "Hair" was on the list and Bo didn't choose it, "gimme his head with hair, bloodied chopped up hair!"

Have to stop now...

Rgirl

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Rgirl said:
On the one hand, why give the top 10 gold when we can tell who's good and who's not with "People"? ("People, people who eat people, were in "Night of the Living Dead" before "Soylent Green." Love your version, Ravyn. Can you use my line?)
Rgirl

LOL - I totally forgot about "Night of the Living Dead"! I should probably put it in my Netflix queue for further review, along with "Soylent Green". Wouldn't want to plagiarize someone unwittingly! :laugh:
xoxo,
Rave

swannanoa54

On the Ice
they can afford to allow us to evaluate these performers and give us good songs too.

Ok, bear with me, Rgirl, but when I first read that sentence I thought it said "and give us good head too". Color me tired! :rofl: I mean, way tired. :rofl:

Ok, my thoughts on last night.

1-Constantine - he actually did a good job until that last pathetic note.. If he would just stop with the stupid looks all the time I might like him better. Nope, I wouldn't like him better. He's just too smarmy. But I'll give him props for the good singing.
2-Vonzell - Boy has she turned it around or what
3-Anwar - Don't care. I love this dude.
4-Bo - He can have my corner of the sky too.
5-Nadia - My favorite song from my one of my favorite Broadway turned movie
6-Nikki - I still love him
7-Carrie - The most wooden AI performance I have ever seen.
8-Anthony - off key, out of tune
9-Scott - wrong song wrong voice wrong person GO HOME!!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
Why, oh why, didn't Bo sing "Hair" ?!? He would have rocked the house!

that would have been great... I was trying to figure out a song he could do well...

I thought of "The Civil War" musical... Travis Tritt sang one of the Act I songs on the album... thought it might work

no Andrew Lloyd Weber? guess he didn't give his songs over to AI?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Wasn't the orchestra great last night? Loud, but great. Actually, Constantine didn't hit a sour note............he held it until the music lifted and joined his note. They did that a lot in the 40's and 50's..........very effective, but I guess odd sounding if you didn't know that was what he was doing............I suppose some people's smarmy looks are to others, making a "connection" with the viewing and listening audience. He holds your attention and draws you in...........I like it......42

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Actually, show, I like 50s music but I think he slid right past his last note by a smidgen. Not much, but enough for me to notice. I agree about the orchestra. They were pretty good last night.

I figure Constantine's smarmy looks would draw me in sometime, but nope, doesn't happen for me. Just makes me wanna stick my finger in that Kirk Douglas chin and go "back off dude" :rofl: Sorry. Just can't deal with the "this is supposed to be a sexy, smoldering look" every week. He even did it on the Partridge Family song and it just didn't look right. But it's okay by me. I still ranked him #1 last night because of his actual singing. Thought it was his best yet. And I don't want him to win.

Hey, ya'll think this will be the battle of the rock dudes? Will boards go crazy arguing like they did with Clay and Ruben??? :rofl: