Fantasia, eww...... | Golden Skate

Fantasia, eww......

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Was that Fantasia - last years winner on AI performing tonight? At first, I did not who this person was. Not only is she a horrible singer, she is embarrassing as well. I can't believe she won last year. It was hurtful to the eardrums. I had to keep my tv on low and those contorsions she went into while "singing" - too much. Who told her she could sing?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
Who told her she could sing?
The millions of Americans who voted for her week after week plus the 1.5 million who have already purchased her CD.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Lad..............totally agree with your assessment. 42

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
There was a moment during her performance last night where she looked and sounded like she was about to hack up a fur ball! I voted for her repeatedly last season - last night found me wondering what the heck I'd been thinking.
(Note to self: limit alcohol intake during Idol...) ;)
Rave

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think 'Tasia is suffering from the Kelly syndrome. OVER WORKED VOCALS because 19 Entertainment never got the memo that slavery is outlawed in the US. She had a very coarse speaking voice, and I don't think it was just because of that one song.

and I never voted for 'Tasia (ok I did the last night but that's because I couldn't stand the thought of DIANA being the American Idol *gag*)

Fantasia is coming to ALASKA. It's so not fair... where's Kelly or Clay?
I may go just so that it sends a message to the others to get their booty up here! :laugh:

Sounds like I didn't miss anything special. I was never crazy over Fantasia to begin with. I only caught the part of Idol that revealed Nikko was going home because I was switching back and forth between Idol and baseball.

brad640

On the Ice
I thought Fantasia's performance was okay, but I agree that Idol winners suffer from poor management.

Also, has anyone heard Baby Mama, Fantasia's tribute to single mothers? I think the song is poorly written and not great, but I thought it was strange how it is played on the radio with voiceovers of local people who call in and say "my name is ______ and I'm a baby mama." Some of these people sound like they are very young and I wondered if the song was intentionally marketed to a young audience. I did not like the criticism Fantasia got last year for having a child, mainly the suggestion that she was not suitable for American Idol because single motherhood made her a poor role model. I imagine she meant for this song as a response to that criticism, but the marketing seems off.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
I thought it was horrible. She reminded me of Macy Gray. "Screech! Screech! Screech!". And what was with the hopping up and down like a bunny? The whole thing made me want to turn the channel. I haven't watched Idol before this year either (no satelite) and if I'd run into her on the street, I wouldn't've known the difference. It makes me glad I missed last season. But the contestants were eating it up! WTF??? Yes, they want to win, but that's no reason to go ga ga over that performance. Horrible, horrible, horrible!

My signal cut out before they annouced who was going home, but I consider that a good thing if she performed (if that's what you call that) again.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
childfreegirl said:
And what was with the hopping up and down like a bunny?

That's what she calls teh "BoBo" it was something she did during AI last year...

swannanoa54

On the Ice
I voted numerous times for Diana D and now I know why. I knew this would happen. I wouldn't even say Macy Gray sounds that bad on a really bad hairball day. That performance was awful. Just waful! :rofl:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
The millions of Americans who voted for her week after week plus the 1.5 million who have already purchased her CD.

Then the millions of Americans who voted for her must be tone deaf!!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I just heard a little bit of her performance on ET and that was just awful. I almost changed the channel and they weren't even showing her whole performance! :unsure: The worst part though was watching Paula uber gush all over her like she had just won a Grammy or something. This is why that show lost me last season, I can't deal with the uber gushing over mediocre to bad performances anymore. I actually haven't agreed with the last two winners and I really think that the voting is not working out with that show anymore, if it ever really did work. Yikes. :banging:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Exactly Eeyora.......both LaToya and Jennifer Hudson had superior voices, but I guess they didn't have that "it" factor. What exactly the "it" factor Fantasia has is lost on me........

Kwanfan...........thank goodness the public recognized the superior voice of Clay Aiken, and made his "runner up" status more profitable than the winner that year, (maybe even more profitable than last year's winner too..........) 42

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Show....ITA completely about Clay. Talk about turning a 'negative' into a positive! I think he's outsold everyone else's CDs except maybe Kelly although I think he beat her too. That's way awesome and kinda crazy too since he was just 'the runner up' for AI2!! LOL :rock:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Clay gets more the first week, because of his rabid fans who buy up every freaking album several times over, but Kelly and he even out by the time the "newness" of an album won out.

Clay, 'Tasia, and Ruben have all won awards, Kelly is the only one who hasn't (that I know of)

as far as I'm concerned Clay and Ruben tied and are both American Idols. E19 proved that by signing with Clay.

There was a rumor that Clay was going to have an album out last month... *Sigh*

Here we go again...sigh. It was not Fantasia's best performance by a long shot and I agree that her voice is overworked. Kelly sang and spoke with a rasp for two years after she won. The AI management take these young singers who have no experience in voice training and how to save their voices on long tours and recording sessions. What do they expect?

It's also a case of the continued fractionalization of pop music. People tend to "get" the singers who sound like their kind of people. When Ike met Tina, he was thrilled because he'd finally found "a woman who sings like a man." Fantasia does that too in the tradition of Tina Turner and Janis Joplin, the best known of that gravelly voiced genre.

As I said, Fantasia didn't do her best, but she wasn't "awful" either. She does, however, need to give her voice a rest and then invest in some serious voice training.

IMO, LaToya was the Carrie of last season. I really liked her at first and then week after week she never gave a molecule of true emotion to her performances. Great voice; no feeling.

I found Jennifer more interesting and was more bummed when she got voted off. But Fantasia says they all got record deals so I'll be on the look out for Jennifer's CD. Speaking of CDs, I bought Fantasia's and she sounds quite wonderful on it, thank you very much, though she still hasn't found a song equivalent to "Summertime."

I also heard Diana DeGarmo not long ago perform on a TV show. Still not my cup of tea.

Fantasia is going to have a lot of ups and downs, but so does every singer trying to "make it." It will be the measure of her mettle and intelligence how she does with it. But to write her off after one poor performance less than a year after her win and wonder why you ever voted for her, maybe you better worry about who you're voting for now, lol!

Seriously, most of last year's contestants were right off the bus. I say give them a chance to stumble and regain their footing. But then it's also everybody's right not to.

I loved Fantasia's advice to this year's contestants: "Get UGLY!" It's true! Too many of them are trying to be too pretty for their own good.

JMO.

Still a Big Fantasia Fan,
Rgirl