COI NJ 2005 | Golden Skate

COI NJ 2005

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
I know it's nearly a week ago, but for anybody who might be interested, here's my review:

We had a different vantage point this year, since we decided to take upper level seats, but they were in the first row, so for the first time I didn't have to do the head bob when the person in front of me shifted in his/her seat. I don't remember ever seeing so many empty seats at COI. The short sides of the arena, even down on the first level, were very sparsely populated. My mother even told me they were still advertising in the papers the day before. However, it was a very appreciative audience, and all of the skaters were well received.

Rudy has a new program, and as usual he gave it 200%. He's keeping up his technical level with great jumps, fast spins, etc. A fun, lively program (most of it to Donna Summers' "Last Dance") that got the crowd going.

Viktor's Mack the Knife program is suave and sophisticated. A good change of pace for him, and a personal favorite of my mother's due to the music choice!

Elvis has a typical Elvis program, and it works for him. I don't know how it is at the other venues, but here in NJ he's definitely a crowd favorite every year.

I don't remember Tim's COI number from last year, but this one seems like a departure for him. No rock/pop vocals this time. It almost seems like he's starting to prep a competitive program for next season.

Johnny Weir's Unchained Melody was a real highlight, and I especially like the ending combination spin.

Dan Hollander's program is a lot of fun. When he was doing the single or double jumps according to Richard Simmons' instructions, I laughed out loud. Although I think quite a few people in our section didn't quite get that part of it...

The Ukrainian acrobats' new program gets a thumbs up. Some interaction with the audience and their tricks were well received, as always.

Amber Corwin has a pleasant program ("Big Fine Daddy"?), and she really seemed to be enjoying herself out there. I'm glad she has the opportunity to do the tour this year.

Kimmie Meissner seems very tall, even from where I was sitting! A nice program. Hopefully she'll learn from experience and the veterans how to project more to the audience.

Surya is another who departed from her usual type of program. She did a total of three of her back flips landed on one foot throughout the afternoon and, as always, she was well received by the audience.

Jenny looked great! Her Madonna/Evita program was well done, with the exception of one fall, which she bounced right back up from. Gorgeous smile, and, like Amber, she really seemed to be enjoying herself.

Sasha's Streisand number is another hightlight. I think I like this one as much as, if not more than, her R&J. Very bouncy, with just the right amount of attitude. Like Jenny, one fall, but she bounced right back up and really sold the rest of it.

Irina really works that Brittney Spears program and it looked like she was having a ball out there. I think she ended up doubling what would have been a triple loop, but no worries!

Michelle's new program was, of course, a highlight for me. I've always loved that song, as I did the movie, so add in a Michelle program, and everything's good. She wore the gold Bolero dress. She did two triple flips (one out of footwork), a double axel, and she downgraded the lutz to a double. From other reports she's been doing the lutz as part of a combo, but I didn't see one here. She doubled what I believe was meant to be a triple in the opening number, and she did the four double axels in the finale. If she keeps with tradition, she'll take this into next season for her exhibition number, and I'll be happy to get it on tape.

T&M were smooth as silk, just lovely.

P&T-I was impressed with them. They did a huge throw triple, and the crowd gave them a warm reception.

O&L-I'm really liking this pair, and looking forward to seeing what they can do next season.

A&P-My mother turned to me after they skated and said "I've really missed them". She's right. I didn't realize how much I have missed them until I saw them. Interesting program, great speed, good work with the light sabers. They're throwing in quite a few of their trademark reverse gender lifts, getting positive audience response. When they were announced as Oly champs, French National Champs, etc., the uninitiated gentleman behind me said "Humph, sounds Russian to me!" Ah, ignorance!

B&A-So glad I was able to see their abbreviated Gypsy Dance in person. WOW!

G&G-Nice to see some new blood on the tour. Very pleasant program.

The ending number is high energy and all the skaters seemed to be having a blast. I even saw Irina over by the boards in the dark while others were doing their spotlight portions and she was square dancing with some of the guys with a huge smile on her face.

All in all, I think it's a very good show this year. If anybody's on the fence about going, I would recommend seeing it. :)

Great review! I pretty much agree with everything you said about everyone! Only thing is Tim still hasn't won me over--he seemed so sluggish and unhappy....I had first row seats and could see the expression on his face quite well....he looked either very sad or in pain. No smiles.
I saw the show in Philly on 4/2 and the crowd there was only about 3/4 full in the lower bowl of the venue, but very, very generous with the applaud and yelling.
Rudy and Elvis are ALWAYS well received. They are both so much fun and you can see they are there to entertain we, the fans, and pleased to see how well we react.
I agree with your Mom....I've missed A/P a lot! I hope we'll be seeing more of them to come!
Michelle wore a pretty sort-of dark Robin's egg blue dress in Philly.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Great report, Legal. Sounds like you had fun. Wish I could see it this year, but the closest venue is three hundred miles away and comes at a bad time of the year. I guess I'll have to live vicariously through everyone else.... :cry: 42

Thanks Legal. I was going to that show but another committment got in the way. Your description, however, was just what I needed. Thanks again.

Joe

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Thanks, everyone, for your comments on my review!

NJSk8Fan-I really wonder what's going on with Tim. Thinking back on it, you're right, he did seem sluggish, as though he was thinking through every move. Whether it's physical or mental, I hope he can get back on track. It seems like he's had one setback after the other the past couple of years. Wow-first row seats for you! :rock: Did you get any high fives on the final lap around the boards? When Rudy and/or Elvis leave the tour, those are going to be some mighty big shoes to fill.

show--I did have a lot of fun. Wish I could bottle some up and send it your way. Glad my report could help you live vicariously. I really wish they would still televise COI, especially since they've cut out so many venues the past few years. :frown:

Aw, shucks, Joe. :eek: Glad my review helped.

The Detroit show.

It is just incredible to me how beautifully these talented young people skate. Every about it was fantastic. About five or six thousand in attendance, so they moved everybody down to the lower bowl and lots of folks got good seats for $45. For this matinee the majority of the audience was families with young daughters.

Some of my personal highlights:

Surya -- I love this performer. It always seems like she goes out there with no planned choreography at all and just ad libs it, LOL.

Orsher and Lucash. Nice to see this new-to-the-show team get an opportunity. Same with Amber Corwin.

Elvis. He only did one triple but he skated with great energy and verve.

Sasha. She never looked more beautiful.

The biggest applause of the show was for the acrobats! Their act this year is pretty much just a pairs routine, only with two men. (But where was my girl, Irina Gregorian?!)

Anissina and Peiserat. Very innovative Star Wars number, with light sabres!

Johnnie Weir. The music (Unchained Melody) sweeps all before it.

And, of course, the one and only...

Michelle :love: She did three triples (one in combination) and a double Axel. Also her four double Axel thing in the finale. The key to Michelle's success is that she always looks like she is just so tickled to be out there entertaining us that she can hardly stand it!

Full standing O at the close of the show.

BTW, I noticed from the program that Shep Goldberg is listed as the executive in charge of sponsorship sales for the tour. I would love to know exactly what Michelle's long-term contract with COI consists of.

MM

Lucy25

Final Flight
Thanks, Mathman. I have been waiting for a Detroit report. This is the first COI I have missed in a long time, but couldn't make it down to the Joe this year. Gotta say I am glad I didn't spend top money for the good seats, only to have people who spent less be moved into the same seats as me.

The information about Shep Goldberg is very interesting. I wondered why people kept seeing him backstage. I was beginning to think Michelle was his only client!

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Mathman said:
The Detroit show.

Surya -- I love this performer. It always seems like she goes out there with no planned choreography at all and just ad libs it, LOL.

(But where was my girl, Irina Gregorian?!)

BTW, I noticed from the program that Shep Goldberg is listed as the executive in charge of sponsorship sales for the tour. I would love to know exactly what Michelle's long-term contract with COI consists of.

MM

Mathman-That's a great verbalization of what I've always felt about Surya! :rock:

Irina Grigorian was injured in one of the early shows. It was thought last week that she has, I believe, a pinched nerve. For a harrowing description of what happened, go to Dan Hollander's website and read his journal. From his description, Irina just collapsed on the ice. :cry:

I noticed the Shep G. mention in the program, too. :cool:

What I heard was that Irina hurt herself at the show on 4/1 in Washington, DC, the stop before Philly. I'd read an account that she dropped a hoop and tripped when going to retrieve it and left the ice...maybe she dropped the hoop because she suffered some other injury. She is so incredible with those hoops, I was sorry not to see her and more sorry to hear it was because she'd been hurt. The 9 yr. old I took to the show was really looking forward to seeing her.

We got CHEATED....no hand slaps....the skaters completely cut our corner when they went around the ice....all we got were smiles and waves from about a 3 ft. distance from us. They covered the one side of the ice and that corner TWICE because, IIRC, they went around the ice one full time, cutting our corner, then went down the one side a second time, cut our corner again in order to go out to line up in the middle of the ice.

pennyfromheaven

On the Ice
I saw the show in New Jersey and for me the highlight of the evening was Johnny Weir skating to "Unchained Melody"; it was so beautiful and he skated it so well. My second favorite number was the group country/western number at the end! I loved the choices of music "Ghost Riders in the Sky" and "Ashoken Farewell" (The piece that Tanith and Ben skated to); plus the Patsy Cline music, I think it was "Crazy". The energy at the end was great, and the skaters all looked like they were having fun.

Me, too, about the closing number. It was fun to watch the other skaters dancing when the spotlight was on someone else.

MM