With Charles Schulz dead, what hap'd to his ice show? | Golden Skate

With Charles Schulz dead, what hap'd to his ice show?

D

DORISPULASKI

With Charles Schulz dead, what hap'd to his ice show?

From time to time, Charles Schulz's (yes creator of Peanuts) ice show is mentioned. Apparently it was a show where the skaters who never quite made the top and skaters who were on the way down performed. Toller mentioned it in one of his books, and it was mentioned again as the last employer of Richard Dwyer, Mr Debonaire, prior to the recent Boitano salute to ice shows.

I am curious about this show, and would like to hear about it.

Does anyone know if this show is still put on now that Mr. Schulz is dead?

Has anyone seen it?

dpp

I presume Snoopy skated in it!

dpp

S

sk8m8

Re: With Charles Schulz dead, what hap'd to his ice show?

Hello Doris, Here's what I could find out....
Schulz had two daughters that were both interested in competitive skating. He was a wealthy man and he had an ice arena built for them to practice. Neither ever achieved "national level" success. ( I think as a skater you can learn immense amounts, but at the elite levels champions are first born, then molded, but rarely if ever "made") His ice show was an outgrowth of his daughters' interest in ice skating. The ice rink is the Redwoods Ice Center( Now the West Steele Lane Ice Cener) in Sonoma County, CA ( near the site of the Charles Schulz Museum) He was, however intensely interested in the rink and the annual holiday show that gave over 30 performances a year. The ice rink was used as a training ground for others in FS and hockey, as he was interested in many sports including these. Schulz loved to skate himself and did so up until the time of his death in Feb. of 2000. There is still an anual holiday ice show each year and the Redwoods Center has been in operation since 1968. It's inaugural show was opened by Peggy Flemming. They hold regional and sectional competion there and the arena even serves as a concert and events venue. Schulz is said to have annually contributed 1 Million a year to keep the center in operation and its operating structure has recently been downsized. He also was involved in each year's production, making suggestions about numbers and sets.

There is now a "Snoopy Rocks on Ice"' at the Cedar Points amusement park and the show is produced by Woodstock Productions which is headed by one of Schulz's daughers, Jill.
And yes, in his shows, Snoopy and Woodstock would drive the Zamboni around in skits that were concieved by Schulz.

M

mathman444

Thanks for the interesting post, sk8m8.

D

DORISPULASKI

sk8m8, Thanks for the very interesting info. I'm glad to hear to some extent that the show is still going on, and that Snoopy and the zamboni have continued their relationship.
dpp

L

LADSKATER

Great question. I think Kurts' Peanuts routine is a nod to Charles. I always loved Snoopy's skating cartoons. Charles Schulz is well known among the skating world.

Ladskater

T

tdnuva

Which routine of KB is about peanuts? (living in Europe I don't get to see all those pro routines)