2006 Four Continents Championships to be held in Colorado Springs | Golden Skate

2006 Four Continents Championships to be held in Colorado Springs

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hmmm....

Sure wish this had come about in a non-Oly year. The Oly's start on Feb 10, right? So my guess is we won't see a lot of participation from the top contenders. I hope I'm wrong...

DG

Antilles

Medalist
Maybe more Americnas will go, since it will be at home. It will be closer for Canadian competitors, too.

jozmen01

Rinkside
4Cs

Why doesn't the ISU make it mandatory - if you want to compete in the Olympics, if you are eligible to go, you must go the the 4Cs - I see very few skaters skipping the Europeans!

nicole_l

Final Flight
I see very few skaters skipping the Europeans!
The travel time is so much less for Europeans.
Also, 4CCs is very, very close to both Nationals and the Olympics, I doubt any contenders will go.

Does anyone think Sasha and Michelle will be entered in this couldbe an important contest and definitely one to execute 3x3s for both ladies before the Olys.

Joe

emma

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Does anyone think Sasha and Michelle will be entered in this couldbe an important contest and definitely one to execute 3x3s for both ladies before the Olys.

Joe

My first reaction was who from the US that qualifies for the Olympics would want to go to this???? But maybe you are right, it could be an important 'practice' event before the big one. Does anyone know off the top of their heads when/if 4C's was scheduled in 2002? Also, in that same vein, is Euorpeans scheduled for before the Olmypics too, and if so, what was the trend in participation last time?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Personally, I am not a huge fan of Colorado Springs as a venue for any skating event -- seems like every time they hold something there, at least half the competitors are gasping for air long about halfway through their long programs due to the altitude. Doesn't actually set the stage for an evening of barn-burning performances.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Torino is also at altitude, although not nearly as high as Colorado Springs. Maybe it would be good for the US team to train there for a week or so, do 4CC then they'd be in good shape for the Olys.

In '02, 4CC was held in Joenju, Korea. These skaters attended both 4CC and Olympics (in SLC).

Takeshi Honda - 3rd, 4CC; 4th, SLC [the only Olympic medal contender]
Roman Skorniakov [UZB] - 7th, 4CC; 19th, SLC.

Yoshie Onda - 3rd, 4CC; 19th, SLC
Jennifer Robinson - 4th, 4CC; 7th, SLC
Tatiana Malinina [UZB] - 10th, 4CC; wd after finishing 13th in SP, SLC.

Pang/Tong - 1st, 4CC; 10th, SLC
Langlois/Archetto - 2nd 4CC; 12th, SLC
Zhang/Zhang - 3rd, 4CC; 11th, SLC
LaRiviere/Faustino - 6th, 4CC; 10th, SLC

Lang/Tchernyshev - 1st, 4CC; 11th, SLC
Handra/Sinek - 4th, 4CC; 23rd, SLC
Zhang/Cao [CHN] - 6th, 4CC; 22nd, SLC
Yang/Lee [KOR] - 7th, 4CC; 24th, SLC

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Actually, competing at altitude would be great preparation for Olys, since Olys are located where there are nearby mountains and things for skiing, etc. In fact, IIRC, before SLC, a lot of Southern California skaters went to Lake Arrowhead for just that purpose -- practicing at a high altitude.