Ice Dance seeing a resurgence in the U.S. | Golden Skate

Ice Dance seeing a resurgence in the U.S.

euterpe

Medalist
The article mentions the US sweep of ice dance medals at 4CC this year, but left out the fact that the top Canadian teams didn't go to Korea.

Then, at the end of the article, there is a mention of Gregory/Petukhov and Matthews/Zavozin in relation to sweeping a World podium in the future, leaving the reader with the impression that M/Z were the third team at 4CC.

They weren't--Manon/O'Meara were the 4CC bronze medalists, and they recently split. Ryan O'Meara will be skating with Jamie Silverstein next season. But I guess that dose of reality was out of sync with the theme of the article.

Linny

Final Flight
Reality

The reality is that many top teams from many countries skip 4CC, but on that day, the American teams were the best of those who were there. It would be disrespectful to take credit away from them. They are the 4CC champs. Simple.

As far as leaving the impression that a team got the bronze who didn't, I give the writer credit for checking into things and only mentioning teams who are still together. He's writing about the future. No sense crying over spilled milk.

It is refreshing to read an article that presents a bright picture, albeit a slanted picture, with all the other sad articles decrying the demise of the entire sport in the USA.

And Jamie and Ryan weren't together - and we've yet to see how they will meld as a team - so the author can't be faulted for mentioning them. Jamie was rumored to have an illness (I have no substantiation for it so I won't mention which one) but it wasn't an illness that you are suddenly "cured" from. So I'm remaining a bit sceptical as to her future success.

I'd be more pleased if I'd heard that Justin Pekarek had teamed up with one of the top ladies who are available. I was always impressed with his half of the work. I'm also quite optimistic about Tiffany Steigler, even though her partner has citizenship issues. Maybe if the USA has three top teams with mixed citizenships, the ISU will consider a waiver like they did with the Lithuanians.

Linny

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it was RUSSIA who gave Margarita Drobiasko the waiver to skate for Lithuania, not the ISU. The problem Magerovskii has is that Russia hasn't given him a waiver to skate for the US.

Russia tends to frown on male ice dancers skating for other countries. That's why Arseniy Markov hasn't been able to skate internationally for Canada with Chantal Lefebvre. Markov was partnered with Svetlana Kulikova in the 2002-2003 GP and they won a bronze medal in ice dance. Kulikova then paired with Vitali Novikov and they didn't do anywhere near as well (recently Novikov split with Kulikova).