Nobody's Mentioned Tiger | Golden Skate

Nobody's Mentioned Tiger

Why? It's agreat comeback story. Maybe a certain Sr.Lady should think about that. Back to Tiger: I think it is his 9th Green Jacket.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well I know I don't like golf and I have never liked Tiger

I think Jack Nicklaus' story was more touching...

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
That was an awesome tournament, Joe. It's great to see Tiger back on top. Like Michelle, when he's on he's pretty hard to beat............ :clap: 42

gezando

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Why? It's agreat comeback story. Maybe a certain Sr.Lady should think about that. Back to Tiger: I think it is his 9th Green Jacket.

Joe

Thanks for starting this thread. Congratulations to Tiger's 9th major title, half way mark of Jack's amazing 18. It is his 4th green jacket. I was so touched by his genuine tribute to his father Earl. Don't know whether you saw that post tournament interview or not. Tiger said this one is for my dad, he has not been feeling well all year, then he almost choked up with emotions. Earl and Tida raised a fine son. :clap:

I know it has been almost 3 years since Tiger won a major, last one prior to the Masters was US open in June 2002. Maybe this is sort of a comeback. But Tiger's dip in rankings and winnings is always related to his tweaking and reworking his game, strokes. After winning 1997 masters his first major at the age of 21, he was not happy with his swing and reworked the entire thing, the 2 - 3 years following that he did not win as much, then finally in 2000, everything came together and he won the Tiger slam, 4 consecutive majors. Then after 2002, he reworked his game again, it took another 2 - 3 years for this new technique to gel
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&click_id=38&art_id=qw1113195602923B216

I am not sure any skater lady or man has Tiger's hunger for winning, or his mental toughness

Last edited:

Aloft04

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
Well I know I don't like golf and I have never liked Tiger...

I'm not a golf fan either, but you've piqued my curiosity about why specifically you've "never liked Tiger". I'm not a golfer, but I've only read very positive things about him. Care to share? Your statement intrigued me.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Aloft, just never have...

there's been some comparisons already about Tiger / Michelle... I don't like her either, maybe there's a connection :laugh:

gezando

Final Flight
Aloft04 said:
I'm not a golf fan either, but you've piqued my curiosity about why specifically you've "never liked Tiger". I'm not a golfer, but I've only read very positive things about him. Care to share? Your statement intrigued me.

A lot of people don't like Tiger. He received death threats even when he was a college student at Stanford, just competing as an amateur. To think about it, some people don't like Michelle to the extend of death threat too, in 1996, even FBI was involved.

Tiger has an amazing way of motivating himself, the more others hate him and wish him not to succeed, the harder he works at it. He always read hate mail, and even pin some of those in his dorm room to remind and motivate himself.

Golf is very different from skating, golfers can play for decades if they take care of themselves. At 29 Tiger is already at the half way mark of Jack's record, it is realistic that he may be able to break Jack's record. I am sure some misguided Jack fan may dislike him for that :laugh:

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
Aloft, just never have...

there's been some comparisons already about Tiger / Michelle... I don't like her either, maybe there's a connection :laugh:
One of the connection between the 2, they are both Asian Americans.

Last edited:

Aloft04

On the Ice
I had no idea he was such a polarizing sports figure! I should get out more...maybe to a golf course. :)

He seems like a very serene, capable, level-headed person. I know both of my golfer son-in-laws worship the greens he walks on.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
gezando said:
One of the connection between the 2 are they are both Asian Americans.

I doubt highly that that is my "problem" with liking either of them

gezando

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
I doubt highly that that is my "problem" with liking either of them

Did I say that is the reason why you don't like them? I really don't care about your problem of disliking them, since you mentioned "connection" between the 2, their ethnic heritage is something that comes to mind, that is all.

Another connection between the 2, number nine of course :laugh:

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
I'll be starting my 4th season of golf this year. Unless you play golf, you'll never watch golf. I used to think it was the most boring thing to watch on TV and now I find it fascinating.

I didn't watch much of the Masters, but I did set my TiVo for the final round when i went out Sunday afternoon. Got back in time for the last 3 holes. What a come back for Tiger!. I recall watching the sports report where they showed his ball richocheting off the flag and into the water and when his ball rolled back intot he sand trap. That put him in 8th place after the 1st round. Just goes to prove that one day's bad performance shouldn't be presumed as the death knell to the competition. Excellent putting by Tiger and DeMarco. :clap:

I've never ever heard of having to have a tie breaker at a golf tournament. I know how agonizing hitting the hole and the ball not dropping feels like....and I'm never even in contention to win!

I'm sure the critics of Tiger's changing his swing are awaiting a more decisive victory before making him King of the PGA again.

Vash01

Medalist
I had given up all hopes of watching Tiger win another major. Still i would have watched the masters. Unfortunately I had a commitment that afternoon, and I was only able to watch the replays. It is nice to see him back on top again.

Another thing that Tiger and Michelle have in common is, no matter what they do, the nitpickers are out in force the very next day.

The lead article on the sports page this morning is all about, Why Tiger will not win any more majors this year, if ever. It seems that, in the opinion of this sportswriter, the only reason Tiger won is that at the Augusta National course the rough is fairly well-groomed, not too many trees, etc. So even though Tiger only hit about half of the fairways, he was able to recover with spectacular second shots to the green. He won't be able to do this on the "rougher" courses, such as the U.S. Open.

Plus, he can't adjust his game to the CoP.

MM

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
can't, or won't???? *hides*

gezando, I apologize for being snippy, however I was saying that there might be some sort of connection that they have that makes me not like either of them. race is not a factor in any of my likings or non-likings. sorry for the misunderstanding.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
I'll be starting my 4th season of golf this year. Unless you play golf, you'll never watch golf. I used to think it was the most boring thing to watch on TV and now I find it fascinating.

That's like saying unless you play tennis, you'll never watch tennis. Or unless you play baseball (which in my mind is more boring but I luvs my Braves anyway), you won't watch baseball.

I don't play golf. Matter of fact, my father relegated me to the golf cart when I swung and let go of the club. I do, however, play tennis. I love watching golf. I love Tiger Woods, Greg Norman, Jack Nicklaus (ah, you'll be missed), Arnold Palmer, Phil Mickelson. Now I love Chris DeMarco too. I don't find it boring at all.

I also disagree, Mathman, about the "rougher" courses. Tiger has often been able to correct his mistakes on these courses even though he hasn't won since 2002. Will he win the US Open this year? I don't know. The ball is round and it can roll or stop, so who knows?

I also love watching tennis, boxing (and I don't box unless you count "boxing" ears :rofl: ), billiards, darts..oh never mind. I must be an anamoly of some sort. :rofl:

lavender

Record Breaker
Tiger was awesome. I was so excited when he was all of a sudden in 2nd place. I knew then he was going to win. He was +2 and not even showing in the top 10 and then all of a sudden he was -9. Next day he was in the lead with -11.

All greats have people that don't like them but there's more that love them.

Plus, he can't adjust his game to the CoP.

so cute :laugh:

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
heyang said:

I'm sure the critics of Tiger's changing his swing are awaiting a more decisive victory before making him King of the PGA again.

I strongly disagree. I don't have to play a game to enjoy watching it. I never played football (didn't have the right gender), but I love watching it. When a golf tournament is exciting I watch it. I have been to a couple of live golf tournaments also (high level) and in one of them Tiger Woods was playing. I enjoyed both.

About Tiger's critics, I am sure he will silence them sooner or later.