And No One Has Menioned the Great Love Story in the UK!! | Golden Skate

And No One Has Menioned the Great Love Story in the UK!!

That's the Prince of Wales' wedding to the woman he loves, Camilla. After all these years it finally happened.

Joe

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Finally.......he should have been allowed to marry her years ago.........talk about tied to the "apron strings"...... ;) 42

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
You know, I've been meaning to start a thread on this topic. I cannot help but wonder whether there would have been so much criticism aimed at Camilla if she had been beautiful. I mean, I don't see anyone aiming daggers at say, Angelina Jolie, for PERHAPS having broken up the marriage of Brad & Jen. I have really been mulling this over for the past few days, and the consequences of being a fairly unattractive (physically) female figure in the public eye and what that says about society.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I don't think that it was about her looks that people didn't like. I think it had to do more with the fact that Charles and Camilla continued their love affair after Charles married Diana.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Precisely - Diana had a string of lovers while she was still married. She has said that there were always 2 in her marriage. Charles can say that there was a full hockey team in his. But Diana was gorgeous and stylish; Camilla was not. Truth is, she was never tied to another man apart form her husband.

I personally have mixed feelings about this. I can not stand everything the monarchy (especially in UK) stands for. They have such double standards. Many broken hearts could've been spared if Charles and Camilla could've been together from the begining.

I do not think that Charles should become king though when such time comes. The rule (and they are so obsessed with the rules and traditions!) is that the divorcee can not become king, for the king is the head of Church of England. If anything, Charles is next in line to be king because of this rule (his great uncle, as we all know, gave up the throne to marry the AMerican divorcee Wallis Simpson).

Anyways, best of luck to them.

Yana

brad640

On the Ice
STL_Blues_fan said:
I personally have mixed feelings about this. I can not stand everything the monarchy (especially in UK) stands for. They have such double standards. Many broken hearts could've been spared if Charles and Camilla could've been together from the begining.

I have mixed feelings, too. If I were British, I'm not sure I could justify supporting the monarchy when there are so many worthy causes the money could go to. I know they supposedly bring in millions for tourism, but they seem completely worthless. I think their philanthropy is minimal considering they have no job.

Why could Charles and Camilla not be together from the beginning? I don't understand why Charles ever married Diana if they had nothing in common and he really loved Camilla.

As far as Camilla's looks go, I think she is being unfairly criticized. I think she looks good and I love her hats.

Also, what was the big deal about Charles muttering that he couldn't stand that reporter? Everyone knows the royals are stalked nonstop by the paparazzi, so why shouldn't he dislike them?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wish them well. I enjoyed watching the happy day, it was kind of relief after the funeral of the Pope. Let's just hope they take their vows seriously. I thought Camilla looked quite stunning. The one thing I wonder is why she didn't have her teeth fixed. Other than that I think she is very attactive.

Dee

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Appearances.....Camilla is a much more attractive than Charles, IMO. I thought her dresses were gorgeous, very age appropriate. While I like the idea of hats I think actually wearing them is a pain. Some worn at the wedding reminded me of Dr, Seuss on acid. Especially the ones that were unbalanced like they were squished toward the front.

A little off topic but still relates to the thread, IMO. One of my friend's son is getting married later this summer, 5pm formal ceremony followed by dinner reception. Bride wearing white, bridesmaids red. The rules are that the Mothers can't wear white, red or black but muist blend with the red (the brides very favorite color BTW). MOTB has picked a champagne (light gold) color. My friend is still agonizing over her gown and bridezilla is not at all helpful. We watched C&C's wedding hoping for an idea. Still holding out hope that the Queen would come through and what does she wear...ivory (with black accesories)! We both thought what the heck is going on she's wearing the same color as the bride. Then it showed that Camilla had changed into the greenish-blue. So my friend is STILL without a clue Silver won't work with her coloring...golden blonde hair (this week, LOL) with ivory skin and blue eyes. Anyone have any ideas?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
You know, I've been meaning to start a thread on this topic. I cannot help but wonder whether there would have been so much criticism aimed at Camilla if she had been beautiful. I mean, I don't see anyone aiming daggers at say, Angelina Jolie, for PERHAPS having broken up the marriage of Brad & Jen. I have really been mulling this over for the past few days, and the consequences of being a fairly unattractive (physically) female figure in the public eye and what that says about society.

that's because I don't believe that BRAD is the one that broke the marriage up... at least not with a cheating issue. I think it had to do with their disagreeing on when to start a family and it put a rift. I could be wrong, but some of what Jen and Brad had been saying in interviews have me wondering...

anyway back on the topic at hand. I just hope that if/when the tables turn on Camilla and he goes back to having a need to have a mistress she just remembers how she felt Diana shouldn't have taken it so personally.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Diana was certainly no saint, but she was a young girl caught up in a fairytale that was such a cruel illusion. Her dreams were eventually crushed, as were Camilla's and Camilla's husband. If anyone is to blame for that, it is Charles. His great uncle stood up for his love and forfeited his crown in the process. He bitterly disappointed his family, but he chose the life HE wanted and refused to drag any innocents down on the way with him. Charles bowed to the pressure and made a mess of so many lives. I don't feel bad for him at all.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
his great uncle, as we all know, gave up the throne to marry the AMerican divorcee Wallis Simpson
Actually, that is only partially correct. The truth was that the parliament was quite willing to allow Edward to remain the king. Rather, it was that much of the parliament as well as the Royal family were beginnig to realize how disastarous Edward's alliance with Hitler could prove to be. This made everyone all too happy to get rid of him.

As to Charles, I do not see why he should not become a king when the time comes. In the old days, it was perfectly OK, even expected for Kings to have misstresses. I for one would rather see a wife.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
As the Queen, herself, would observe:

"We are not amused."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

gezando

Final Flight
Why didn't he marry her 35 years ago? He did not love Diana but married her why?

I agree somewhat this is a love story, a great one? not really

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Charles didn't marry Camilla when they were both free because the Royal Family frowned on her. She was living with Charles in his apartment at a time when not being a virgin made a woman unsuitable for the wife of the heir to the throne.

When Charles went on sea duty in the Navy, Camilla married Parker Bowles. When Charles returned, they resumed their affair. But Mommy Liz wanted Charles, now over 30, to marry and produce an heir, so Camilla picked out Diana Spencer as the perfect candidate, since she assumed Diana to be a naive innocent who would go along with whatever Charles wanted.

What neither of them realized was that Diana was the worst possible choice. Diana's mother had abandoned her family and went off to Argentina with her lover when Diana was still a young girl. Then the most important person in her adult life abandoned her emotionally for another woman. At 22 and with little experience, she was left to deal with an impossible situation. It's no wonder she turned on herself and resorted to bulimia and cutting to vent her frustration. Worse, she was surrounded by the hostile Royals who blamed her for not accepting what was to Diana the unacceptable.

And Charles and Camilla didn't care a whit about the emotional havoc they were causing to their families.

What I think is an interesting question is would Camilla have wanted Charles if he had given up his claim to the throne? Would she have divorced her husband and married him if he was plain Charles and not Prince Charles?

Somehow I think not.

Anyhow, what goes around comes around. I believe Mommy Liz will live to be 100, like her mother, and Charles will predecease her, leaving Camilla a dowager duchess.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Diana's mother had abandoned her family and went off to Argentina with her lover when Diana was still a young girl.

I thought Fergie's mom was the one that went to Argentina and that Diana's mom lived on an island off of Scotland?

heyang

Record Breaker
Charles and Camilla were very young when they met. We don't know what happened. Perhaps it was as simple as him not being ready to make a commitment. She certainly didn't wait very long before marrying his friend.

I hadn't heard anything about their having an affair during the entirety of her marriage nor that they had an affair during the entirety of his relationship with Diana. Charles may have 'settled' for Diana because Camilla was married. I think he did like Diana and hoped that they could be husband & wife.

Charles and Diana weren't the 1st couple to marry while infatuated and/or marry the wrong person at the right time. Because of the attention to their royal marriage, they probably stayed together longer than some couples would have. I'm glad that they were able to defy royal convention and decided to get divorced. I think the media and the royal advisors made it more bitter than it actually was between the 2 - they probably felt more relieved than anything else.

Did Camilla cheat 1st or did her husband? He remarried less than 2 years after they divorced.

I think Charles and Camilla love each other and were the victims of their immaturity. I hope they are happy together.

BTW, would people have been 'bitter' if Diana had remarried?