Backward edges on a circle | Golden Skate

Backward edges on a circle

soogar

Record Breaker
What is the proper body positioning to do a backward edge (both inside and outside) on a hockey circle? I keep going into the the circle instead of staying on the circle when I do mine.

GordonSk8erBoi

Rinkside
Generally speaking I've always done this turned into the circle, arms open/parallel to the circle, and LOOKING WHERE YOU ARE GOING (i.e. over your shoulder).

cborsky

Rinkside
In addition to GordonSk8erBoi's good advice...

For the inside edge, don't let your free hip drop - it will pull you inside the circle.

For the outside edge, make sure your skating side is leading around the circle. This means your free hip should be slightly in front of you. If your free hip starts to come around, it could cause you to go into your circle.

Good luck! :agree:

emma

Record Breaker
I read this thread cuz i'm trying to learn edges going backwards...anyway, when you say the free hip should be slightly in front of you, does that mean the hip of the leg you are pumping with? For example, if I'm trying to get on my right back outside edge, and am pumping with my left foot, is it my left hip that should be in front a bit??

Also, I have trouble with my right forward outside edge way more than the left...partly it's a boot problem (slightly loose in the heel), partly I tend to pronate (is that the word for turn inward?) that foot/leg even in regular shoes...anything I can be doing to adjust this (stretches, exercise?). Thanks.

cborsky

Rinkside
There is a lot of differing terminology out there, but by free hip, I mean the one that is not skating. You are correct. Generally people talk about their skating side (leg, hip, etc) meaning the side that is in contact with the ice, and their other side is "free". So a right back outside edge would mean that your right hip is leading (behind you) around the circle and your left hip is slightly trailing (in front of you). This advice was to help Soogar from falling inwards in the circle. It might not pertain to your edges.

I pronate as well, and I wear orthotics in my skates and shoes to correct this problem. So, if you're having trouble getting onto an outside edge, it may be a comination of blade placement and insufficient arch support. Try gliding on a flat (no edge) and see where your blade takes you. If you end up curving inwards (as if you're doing an inside edge even though you're on a flat) then there is a good chance your problem is arch support/blade related. If your blade takes you in a straight line, then you just need more practice! :) The heel of my blades were too far outwards once and it made it difficult to do outside edges. I moved them in a few millimeters and the problem was solved!

Exercises for pronating feet... not much you can do, it's a loose ligament problem. I have a wobble board that I stand on with one foot and I focus on trying to hold my arch up while I balance. If nothing else it at least helps strengthen my ankles.

Good luck with your edges! :agree:

emma

Record Breaker
thanks

Thanks so much....I don't skate again until Wednesday, but I'll keep all this in mind when I do go...I do have a very hard time getting my left hip in front of me (as the free hip) in either direction, so obviously I will have to concentrate on that more; when my free hip is my right hip, it just seems to 'naturally' be where it's supposed to be.