My Doggy Needs Your Prayers | Golden Skate

My Doggy Needs Your Prayers

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
My beloved beagle Buck, "mommy's bed bug" is in a life or death situation. This came on very fast over the last couple of days. I spent the better part of the day yesterday at the vet with him, but we didn't (couldn't) get the blood work results until this morning.

While we were able to rule out several possible causes of his illness yesterday, we now have a diagnosis. He has pancratitis. That can happen from any number of causes ranging from "ate something stupid" to "cancer." According to our vet, the cause doesn't really matter - the course of treatment is the same.

IV fluids, nutrition, antibiotics, and the other stuff he gets everyday here at home to keep him in good health (he's a siezure dog on phenobarbitol).

I just spoke to the vet, and thus far he seems to be responding well to treatment. The bottom line is that either his pancreas will start working properly again, or it won't. We will probably not know what his real chances are until Saturday or so.

To my friends here, I ask that you say a prayer for little Buck if you believe in that sort of thing, or send your positive thoughts and vibes. He is a good boy, and I hope he still has some good, healthy and fun years in front of him just chasing squirrels and so forth.

Thanks!!

DG

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Oh, DG, I am so very sorry for sweet little Buck! Of course you and he are in my prayers. Please keep us posted. I'll be thinking about you.

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Dear Buck

Doggygirl - count me in! I will be praying for Buck, and not just because Beagles are my favorite dog.......

We all want him to be well again. Tenorguy

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Doggygirl and Buck prayers and wishes for a total recovery to you both (Mr.DG, Kimba, and Ferguson too). Pancreatitis is usually very painful in humans.. I hope that Buck is being kept as comfortable as possible during this ordeal. Please try to get some rest yourself too.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
So sorry, Doggy..........it's heartbreaking when a pet suffers. We feel so helpless. Good thoughts and prayers here, for Buck's swift recovery................42

Last edited:
I belong to a Jack Russell Terrier owners forum....Pancreatitis is often talked about. It's thought that too much fatty food/human food can cause it. There have been mostly good outcomes of the reports of the JRT's reported as having gone thru Pancreatitis. So all hope is NOT lost. Your dog may have to be on a special diet for the rest of it's life and have regular blood work done to keep an eye on the pancreas, but he may/can survive this.
Your Buck will be in my thoughts and prayers--we have a thing on the JRT forum called "pressing paws"(meaning doggie prayers)...so that is what we shall do for Buck!

Aloft04

On the Ice
Caring thoughts coming your way for both Buck and you! I hope you both have a cold nose and warm times again soon.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks to all of you, my GS friends for your prayers...

I know Buck is in the right place now, in his crate at the vet hooked up to an IV. I'm not a particularly teary eyed person, but I called there about 6:30 (half an hour before closing) to make sure someone spent some time with him before "bed."

I know he is in the best possible hands right now. I just want him to be a part of the "positive statistic" that lives.

All of your thoughts and prayers mean so much to me. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I don't even know what else to say. - I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Here is Buck in one of his finer moments on the chase He is "squirrel hunting" with his best friend Cain (the Greyhound) who passed last November. There is no doubt that Buck misses his "hunting buddy." I am just in NO WAY ready to lose another beloved dog right now. On the other more rational hand, we are never ready to lose them, but we are so blessed with every moment we have.

http://www.godtw.com/images/PDRM0086c.jpg

Please keep praying - I just want Buck to live through this.

Thanks!
DG

4dogknight

Final Flight
Our thoughts are with you and your fur-foots.

Our Gypsy is on the same medication as my husband for blood pressure, our Eleanor is on arthritis medication and our Fred is on preventative supplements. Two kitchen cabinets are devoted to medications; 1 1/2 for the four foots and 1/2 of one for the two foots.

One wishes they could speak and tell us where it hurts and when. But we watch their every move and more often than not we taken them in for a check, just in case. And isn't it amazing that the vets never laugh at us for being over cautious.

We, the two two-foots and the three four-foots in our family will be thinking of you and your four foots.

4dk

JOHIO2

Medalist
Having been through this life/death stuff all too recently and losing my old kitty, I hope your fur-kid gets well soon. Nobody likes to lose a family member and we all know that these fur-people are a big part of our families. Get well, Buck. :thumbsup:

anya_angie

Final Flight
Awwww you have my prayers and thoughts Doggygirl. I will be away this weekend dogsitting a very energetic English setter puppy, but I will keep you in my mind. Many big hugs and kisses to Buck and yourself.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Your positive thoughts and well wishes are working!!

I just got an update from the vet. We are not out of the woods yet by any means. But Buck was doing better than expected this morning, so he is now getting very small "real" meals every 2 hours. So far he has been keeping the small meals and water down. This is a very good sign.

Our next hope is that he continues to keep everything down the rest of the day and over night. If so, he might be able to come home tomorrow.

Then the next hope after that is him going for several days without anything coming back up.

Thanks SO much to all of you for thinking of little Buck through this ordeal!!!!! You are great friends to have.

DG

GoldenLady

On the Ice
DG, I just read this whole thread, and I wanted to let you know that you and Buck are in my thoughts and prayers as well. I'm so glad to hear the encouraging news, and am sending postive thoughts that Buck will continue to improve so nicely. Fingers, toes and paws are crossed here for your little guy.

Hugs,
GoldenLady (and her Golden Boys :) )