How many medals for the U.S skating team at the Olympics? | Golden Skate

How many medals for the U.S skating team at the Olympics?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Personaly I think the women will produce one medal, and that will be the lone U.S medal in figure skating, at the Olympics next year. With Belbin/Agosto out there will be no pairs/dance medal. The men wont win a medal with the European men and Buttle there.

It's a bit early for all this. It appears your thoughts on Torino are simply based on the results at Moscow Worlds. It seems too, that you've completely ignored the Asian contingent. However, I can agree that Europe has some very fine skaters.

Most of Golden Skate Soothsayers require some further review at the new season's: Cheesfests, the GPs, the individual Nats, Euros, 4CCs, before they even begin to come up with a stellar group of 'last 6 to skate'. There were little predictions for Jeffrey and Carolina last year. So even up to the Olys event, predictions have to be taken with slippery ice.

Joe

We'll see, but for now it looks like 0 to 3 for the U.S. team. Michelle and Sasha could both medal. Conceivably Weir could sneak in there. A lot will depend on who's healthy.

MM

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
How Many Medals?

Without access to all the skaters' medical records, no one can guess. After all, I would think that the number of men (if any) on the Oly podium might be affected by whether Plushy recovers fully from his surgery (which, I hear, was only the hernias) and whether his knees and back can stand the strain. On an ABC fluff about Irina last season, someone said that the stress of the Oly year may have contributed to her illness; it might cause another relapse. (G-d forbid) Also, I hear B & A were talking to a few Congresspeople about expediting Tanith's citizenship, so maybe we'll get the miracle that will give the US a medal in ice dance.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Men's field is wide open. Any of the 3 US men who were in Moscow could conceivable medal. As to the women - certainly 2 is a distinct possibility (even a likelyhood, I'd say). In dance, unfortunately, without B&A it's 0 chances for a medal. The less said about the pairs the better.

Jhar55

Medalist
I am thinking no gold but maybe 2 bronze 1 mens Evan L. I know most are thinking Johnny W. but after seeing Evan at Skate America I really like his style and if he keeps his cool he has a good shot. And 1 ladies Sasha. As much as I want Michelle medal don't think she will IF she even competes.
I love that everyone has their own picks and their reasons makes it all more interesting.
Best of luck to all US Skaters no matter who's favorite they are because we all know that our pick will always be number 1 where ever they finished we know they worked hard just to get where they are. :rock: :rock:

K-Mo

On the Ice
All this not knowing is kind of exciting, though! The more we keep guessing and speculating, the more we will enjoy watching the sakting season! I can't even hazard a guess until I see how the season shapes up. The cool thing is that I have my favorites, but there are a lot of people that could slip in there--it's anybody's guess. :agree:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Ptichka said:
Men's field is wide open. Any of the 3 US men who were in Moscow could conceivable medal. As to the women - certainly 2 is a distinct possibility (even a likelyhood, I'd say). In dance, unfortunately, without B&A it's 0 chances for a medal. The less said about the pairs the better.

Well when you say all 3 men could medal, do you mean any of the 3 you feel have a chance individually to medal, or you feel all 3 could medal in the same event. If you are saying there is a chance of a U.S mens sweep in Turin I completely disagree. :rofl:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Personaly I am surprised so many of you think Lysacek can medal in Turin. Lysacek won the bronze at a Worlds with Plushenko not even skating, somebody certain to beat him, Joubert skating disaesterously, somebody next to certain to beat him normaly, as well as an overall subpar event. He can skate a bit better than he did, but Lambiel, Buttle, and Weir, can skate alot better too.

He has no chance of beating Lambiel, Plushenko, or Joubert, if they skate even reasonably well IMO. He has some chance against Weir and Buttle, but with a clean skate they will beat him every time. Goebel and Lindemann will probably beat him if they land their quads. I really cant see enough going haywire next year for him to have any medal chance.

boggartlaura

On the Ice
slutskayafan21 said:
Personaly I am surprised so many of you think Lysacek can medal in Turin. Lysacek won the bronze at a Worlds with Plushenko not even skating, somebody certain to beat him, Joubert skating disaesterously, somebody next to certain to beat him normaly, as well as an overall subpar event. .
That's funny because two out of the three times that Lysacek and Joubert competed, Lysacek beat Joubert.

Joesitz said:
I'll predict you all will be changing your tune after the GPs.
That is so true, Joe. I'll bet someone really takes the bull by the horns. If a skater like Miki Ando or Carolina Kostner steps up to the plate, that could change everything by next February.

Michelle could get back into the mix -- or she might retire instead! Sasha might pull it all together.

What if Mao Asada goes on a tear, beating a bunch of the Olympic favorites in the fall. Mao can't go to the Olympics, but it could affect who is favored going in.

Mathman

emma

Record Breaker
I agree with Joe and Mathman....I think it is too wide open to even try to predict right now, in part because of injuries/health, in part because of the unpredictable direction momentum from one year to the next will take, in part because next year could be the big break through year for xxx(who knows who that will be, or as mathman suggested, how that will afect who is favored going in to Olympics)...although, I'm still processing this year, so maybe I'm just slow.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
boggartlaura said:
That's funny because two out of the three times that Lysacek and Joubert competed, Lysacek beat Joubert.

Two questions:

1)Any of those events Cheesefests like Marshall's Challenge, etc.....Forgive me if I do not consider those much when evaluating competitive results.

2)Did Joubert skate even reasonably in either of those losses, especially one that was not in a Cheesefest?

My intitial point was that I could not see Lysacek beating Plushenko, Lambiel, or Joubert, skating even reasonably well. I could not see any of those three not skating, bare minimum, reasonably well, at the Olympics.

Joubert has been having alot of disaesterous showings this year. I cant imagine him not getting his act together again next year. If he does the 2004 World silver medalist, two-time European silver medalist seems a likely medal winner, as is reigning World champ, Lambiel, and previously dominant Plushenko.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Well when you say all 3 men could medal, do you mean any of the 3 you feel have a chance individually to medal, or you feel all 3 could medal in the same event. If you are saying there is a chance of a U.S mens sweep in Turin I completely disagree. :rofl:
Naturally, I'm not predicting a sweep. It's just that:

1. Tim is a black box. Sure, he's had a couple of disastarous seasons, but we know that he, as a reigning Olympic bronze medalist, has the stuff to medal.

2. Johnny - I don't doubt can pull it off. This season, he's managed to beat most of the big players in the GP except for Plushy. He is the one I'll be routing for.

3. Evan is still young, and each season brings a huge improvement for him. His LP this year almost seemed to say "Look at me! I'm no longer in juniors!". It's impossible to predict how he'll be next season, but I wouldn't count him out in the medal race.

As for everyone being on top of their game in Turin - I don't know. It certainly wasn't Joubert's intention to have a disastarous pre-Olympic season, but he had one nonetheless. So you never know (not that I'd want to see that).

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Well I dont think one can say just because somebody won an Olympic medal 4 years ago, they neccessarily are capable now. Some remind me alot can change in 1 year, well a heck of a lot more probably changed in 3 years in which skaters have retired, juniors then are now top seniors, and there is a whole new system in place.

I cant see Goebel medalling under the new system, unless he does the skate of is life and gets lots of help. The new system you only get 0.5 more for a quad sal than a quad toe. He isnt even doing three quads anymore, alot of guys with much better presentation can do two. His program components wont come close to the other top guys.

Lysacek has gotten alot better since last year. I am not sure if even another big improvement from him can allow to medal in a semi-normal situation though, this does not mean even very well skated, but something other than the choas of this years mens at Worlds.

Weir I agree has an outside shot at a medal. The only American man who does. He will need a perfect skate, and some help, or the quad, but it is possable. He is the U.S's one medal hope to be sure, but it is a longer shot.

Despite Buttle's great result at Worlds, I think it will be hard for anyone to medal without a quad. Weir tried one at Marshall's, but without success. I think it will be Plushenko, Joubert, Lambiel, Li.

MM

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I agree. All the talk, from the majority of Americans, about both Weir and Lysacek as likely medalists without a quad is delusions IMHO. :rofl: In Lysacek's case it would be even if he had a quad, in Buttle and Weir it is a bit different, but the likelihood they will get one in a year, when they have shown no real progress to mastering one seems unlikely.

Harkin!

Predictions for next season at this time of the current season make no sense.

Whatever you predict will change after the GPs. Mark me!

Joe