Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Kwan Article

Down With It

New Kwan Article

FYI

She's trying to be the best she can be. It's a lengthy Q and A article on her during the COI tour. Enjoy.

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/...7F75BE0E.shtml
    Last edited by R.D.; 04-16-2005 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks for the link, Red Dog -- you old closet Kwan fan, you!

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    you old closet Kwan fan, you!

Tripping on the Podium

Thank you

Thank you for spoting the story. That was great.

MinnMan

She's a nice Lady and apparently gets along with all the members of the cast of COI. While she hasn't planned for the Olys, she also hasn't planned on what to do after the Olys. Just a jumble of things she might do. She is mysterious.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    She's a nice Lady and apparently gets along with all the members of the cast of COI. While she hasn't planned for the Olys, she also hasn't planned on what to do after the Olys. Just a jumble of things she might do. She is mysterious. Joe
    Maybe, she is just unsure right now, rather than mysterious. She reminds me of people who are leaving jobs, neighborhoods, etc., where they have been for a long, long time. Regardless of the reason for move, they often have trouble adjusting to the change for a while.

It would be silly of me to put too much stock in a one sentence answer to routine questions, but a couple of things caught my eye.

"That's the first thing on my list to do -- finish college and study psychology."

Although Michelle has mentioned psychology as a possible major before, I like that she seems to be saying that she actually wants to learn about this topic. In most of her interviews she gives the impression that she is mentioning continuing her education just because she thinks it is what she ought to say. I hope she really does have academic interests that peak her curiosity, rather than just wanting got go to college so she can say that she went to college.

"When I was younger I could take a hard spill and get right up, now as I get older it does wear on the body."

Tell us about it, 'Chelle, LOL. Wait till you get to be my age, you can just be standing there minding your own business and you fall down and break a hip.

"Q. Where are you in the Champions on Ice show?

"A. I'm in the opening, and then I skate last."

COI is a democratic egalitarian society in which each person is held in equal esteem. Each individual contributes his or her portion to the greater good, and no one star outshines the rest.

Still...

Michelle skates last, LOL.

It's all about Plushenko.
    Oh, Michelle.

Everybody always thinks you can choreograph a smile, but there's no such thing. You do what you feel.

I love that quote too, Piel. I've added it to my signature.......42

Very true, Piel - Choreographers give you a very special routine. Hopefully it is at the level of David Wilson. He suggests what a skater has to do with it.
    However, it is the skater who injects his own special skate to that special routine.

Joannie had a very special choreographed routine. Most of the time she skated with her own personality and it was arguably the best last season. It would be interesting to see if Sasha could do something with that same routine and music instead of Tschaikowsky. Could Irina do a bird? Could Michelle go bravura? It seemed Miki (without the Wilson touche) did not bring any real nuances of her own to the same Stravinsky music.

So smile but do it from the heart.

Joe

Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    A good typical Kwan interview.

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    Great article. Thanx for posting that!

If Michelle plans to study psychology further I wonder if she could become a coach and/or sports psychologist?

Custom Title

Planning to Fall

Not crazy about the philosphy that wearing crash pads is like planning to fall. In practice, all young skaters fall. It just happens. Since Michelle is taking seriously her job as a role model, it would behove her to recommend crash pads during practice, if only to increase the young skaters longevity in the sport. Not everyone is going to be as lucky as Michelle has been in keeping her body together! And even Michelle has had her lumps (which she mentions).

I hear of bikers and horseback riders who still refuse to wear helmets despite the overwhelming evidence that the helmets save lives. Heck, there are even drivers who won't wear seat belts. Tons of evidence on that! Taking precautions doesn't ferment recklessness.

Linny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast