Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: I have a feeling Stephane Lambiel could be the golden boy next year!

Banned

I have a feeling Stephane Lambiel could be the golden boy next year!

I have a feeling there is a very good chance Stephane Lambiel will win the Olympic Gold medal next year. He was able to win Worlds despite only two months of training and 2 competitions, due to injury. He has the jumps, spins, footwork, style, and musicality, of a champion. His skating at Worlds showed he is clearly one of the two best skaters in the world right now, maybe the best with Plushenko's health a question mark at the moment. If Plushenko's injury persists
    I think Lambiel will be in great shape to win the Gold medal next year. I expect him to be that much better next year, his performances this year were if anything reduced by his inability to skate and train a full season like the others.

Custom Title
    I have a feeling Plush won't make the podium at all and Ilia Klimkin will be the top Russian.

My podium prediction is :
    Sandhu
    Lambiel
    Klimkin

Banned
    In that order?

It's all about Plushenko.
    I think Klimkin has a chance at making the podium, maybe. But I can't see a Plushenko-less podium barring an injury. The man is a figure skating genius.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    In that order?
    Yup... I think next year is going to be Sandhu's year and he will take it all.

Banned
    If Sandhu wins and Lambiel is second I will be happy, although I prefer Lambiel. I hope Klimkin is not 3rd though, uggghh!! Sorry just my personal preferance. He needs to worry about the Russian team first, they have only 2 spots, and Griazev is a threat, and there could be others.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole_l
    I think Klimkin has a chance at making the podium, maybe. But I can't see a Plushenko-less podium barring an injury. The man is a figure skating genius.
    Unfortunately the man has huge injuries to deal with and it's the year before the Olympics. I read on another board that Klimkin got all of his triples back and is feeling optimistic. In a way it's good that Klimkin got hurt so bad that he was forced to take care of his injury b/c he'll be going into the Olympic season healthy.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    If Sandhu wins and Lambiel is second I will be happy, although I prefer Lambiel. I hope Klimkin is not 3rd though, uggghh!! Sorry just my personal preferance. He needs to worry about the Russian team first, they have only 2 spots, and Griazev is a threat, and there could be others.
    I don't think Griazev will be a threat to Klimkin. Ilia has a beautiful quad and he has consistently landed quads and quad triples for years. I'm just relieved that Russia didn't lose its second spot.

While I love Lambiel, I was more impressed with Sandhu's overall performance at Worlds than Lambiel's. That single axel in the SP really killed Sandhu but overall SAndhu has been improving his standing throughout the years. He's getting better at competing and not giving up on his performances.
    Last edited by soogar; 04-16-2005 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    Unfortunately the man has huge injuries to deal with and it's the year before the Olympics. I read on another board that Klimkin got all of his triples back and is feeling optimistic. In a way it's good that Klimkin got hurt so bad that he was forced to take care of his injury b/c he'll be going into the Olympic season healthy.
    The injuries are going to hurt him, of course. I'm glad to hear Klimkin's doing well. A big thing with the first part of the season is whether or not he can still compete well...I really hope that he can.
    If Ilia has a great program like Dr. Diesel next season and delivers, that would be awesome. He's had a quad in the past, hasn't he? That could be the deciding factor for the podium (could being the operative word in the sentence).

Skating Freak Barbie
    Quote Originally Posted by nicole_l
    The injuries are going to hurt him, of course. I'm glad to hear Klimkin's doing well. A big thing with the first part of the season is whether or not he can still compete well...I really hope that he can.
    If Ilia has a great program like Dr. Diesel next season and delivers, that would be awesome. He's had a quad in the past, hasn't he? That could be the deciding factor for the podium (could being the operative word in the sentence).
    I believe Ilia's had two quads in the past, Sal and toe. I could be mistaken. But I know he has at least had quad toe consistantly in the past, consistant enough to try two in a program. If he doesn't do his characteristic meltdown (hit the hard jumps and combos, then lose focus), Klimkin could be a HUGE threat, to anyone. Yay!

Although...Kudos to Griazev for going with the quad this year, even when he didn't hit it. The quad at Euros was awesome, and the one at Worlds was rock solid (even tho the rest of the program wasn't). More experience and work on his confidence, the kid is also going to be a threat. Maybe not to Plush. But to a lot of other skaters.

IMO, Ilia Klimkin has the artistry over the whole field in addition to his vast technical skills. His Rothbart (Swan Lake) in Dortmund was masterful. However, he tends to go to pieces under fire if he makes an error. I'm also worried about his injuries.

Joe

If he doesn't do his characteristic meltdown (hit the hard jumps and combos, then lose focus), Klimkin could be a HUGE threat, to anyone. Yay!
    Unfortunately there's still the question of can he even make it to the Olympics? There's only two spots open. Will they send Klimkin or Griasev?

But if he goes to the Olympics, yay!

Griazev is a very immature and novice type skater. TT can choreograph him a great program but, imo, he's just not up to it yet. I just don't feel he will be ready for the Olys.

However, if injuries stay away from Klimkin, and he goes, I will be at a loss to decide which of my two favorite competitors (Ilia and Stephane) should win if they both skate their best. They are soooo gooood and soooo different.

Joe

On my best behavior
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey
    I believe Ilia's had two quads in the past, Sal and toe. I could be mistaken.
    You're not. Klimkin does have both the quad toe and the quad sow. In fact, he was the first skater to land two different quads in competition.

IMO, Klimkin is the big mystery for next year. If he's healthy, he'll have not only the jumps, but also the most difficult spins of any competitor (many of his spins are Level 3), so I could see him having quite a high base mark for technical elements. And he always has interesting and unexpected transitions.

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    I don't think you can count out even an injured Evgeni. With the exception of the hernia, he is awesome at fighting through the pain and putting on a great performance. If he is well enough to go to the Olympics, I think he will be on the podium somewhere.

But there are quite a few skaters who could be there, and Lambiel is definitely one of them. Klimkin, Joubert, Weir, Lysacek (I will not underestimate him again ), Buttle, Sandhu, Li, Dambier....am I forgetting anyone? Hmmm.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast