Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: I have a feeling Stephane Lambiel could be the golden boy next year!

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    At worlds, it was the first time Sandhu seemed to skate his LP with heart. I was pretty impressed. With a little more thoughts put it, that could be a very beautiful program.
    I actually don't want Lambiel to win the Olympics next year even though I'm his biggest fan. I have a feeling that he's the type of person who would either just turn pro or go on to pursue other interests if he wins this major title, which is the last thing I want to see happen. I really want to see him come up with two programs that will do his talent justice--he's had amazing short programs for a few seasons now, I just hope he gets a long program that's at least as good as his older ones such Chocolat and Cirque du Solei. Maybe Tosca?
    Last edited by shine; 04-17-2005 at 01:58 PM.

Custom Title
    As a Plushenko fan, I will be very sad if anyone other than Plushy wins the OGM in Torino. Given his injuries, that is a very likely scenario. Lambiel is the in the best position to win the OGM right now. He will have to have a melt down to lose it. Of course if Plushenko is healthy that will change the dynamics for the whole field, as we saw in Moscow. Can Lambiel handle the pressure of being the favorite? It will have to be seen. Joubert fell apart when suddenly Plushenko disappeared from the field. He could be a challenger to Lambiel because of his quads. IMO Weir and Buttle will both need quads to challenge Lambiel. In 2005 Lambiel singled a couple of triples, and finished long after the music, but he held on to the first place partly because of the two quads he landed (and of course the lead he had built in QR and SP). The quads have BIG points. If Lambiel misses the quad, Weir and Buttle can sneak in. My feeling is that by feb. 2006 both Lysacek and Weir will have at least a quad toe, if not a quad combo. If they do, they could really push Lambiel and rest of the field, including Plushenko.

Vash

Banned
    Well according to 90% of North American skating fans the following are true:

1)Lambiel has no chance whatsoever of wining the Olympic Gold, and only a slim chance of medaling.

2)Lysacek has a real chance of the gold medal, and an extreme possability of medaling.

3)Lysacek is a far more serious threat for the gold, and a more likely medalist than Lambiel.

4)Lambiel is only about the 7th best skater in the World, not the 1st or 2nd best.

5)Lysacek is clearly one of the 2 or 3 best skaters in the World right now. After all he won bronze in his first Worlds and is still improving. He is a far superior skater to Lambiel.

6)Somebody like me thinks otherwise is clearly narrow-minded, extremely biased, and lacking any logic.

I dont know I am going to stick to my lack of logic this time.

Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    Can you give me a link to this poll?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Can you give me a link to this poll?
    No I cant, but if you made a poll you would see I am right. Seeing enough other people post their opinions, you tend to get the general idea.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shine
    At worlds, it was the first time Sandhu seemed to skate his LP with heart. I was pretty impressed. With a little more thoughts put it, that could be a very beautiful program. I actually don't want Lambiel to win the Olympics next year even though I'm his biggest fan. I have a feeling that he's the type of person who would either just turn pro or go on to pursue other interests if he wins this major title, which is the last thing I want to see happen. I really want to see him come up with two programs that will do his talent justice--he's had amazing short programs for a few seasons now, I just hope he gets a long program that's at least as good as his older ones such Chocolat and Cirque du Solei. Maybe Tosca?
    This is seperate from what I feel, just based on what the judges seem to feel, do you really think the judges would give Sandhu any hope of a gold medal in Turin even if he skated his best? Earlier in the year he was coming slightly below Buttle in the PCS scores, I didnt think too much of that since both are very complete skaters, I was thinking it could switch either way. However as the year went on his PCS scores were much lower than Buttle's, Lambiel's, Plushenko's, and some of the other top skaters. A 33+ for PCS in the short is hardly approaching championship consideration. At the Canadians he received a 75+ while Buttle received an 84+ for PCS, a huge difference.

Personaly I think the judges have given up on Sandhu after all his years of inconsistency. I remember I said before Worlds last year, "I hope he does it here, skates well, wins a medal, he has too, the judges wont wait any longer for him I bet." Sadly it looks like that could be the case. That is just my perspective though, I could be wrong, I guess we will see next year if he does put it all together, even if he doesnt win, whether he ever had a chance in their eyes.

I agree about Lambiel. I would love to see him win, but a silver behind Plushenko, or a Sandhu having the competition of his life, I could also see the positives out of. I dont want him to go pro, I want atleast 4 more years of his beautiful skating. I dont think he has come close to fulfilling his potential yet.

No I cant, but if you made a poll you would see I am right. Seeing enough other people post their opinions, you tend to get the general idea.
    I guess we'll see:
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9361

It's all about Plushenko.

1)Lambiel has no chance whatsoever of wining the Olympic Gold, and only a slim chance of medaling.

2)Lysacek has a real chance of the gold medal, and an extreme possability of medaling.

3)Lysacek is a far more serious threat for the gold, and a more likely medalist than Lambiel.

4)Lambiel is only about the 7th best skater in the World, not the 1st or 2nd best.

5)Lysacek is clearly one of the 2 or 3 best skaters in the World right now. After all he won bronze in his first Worlds and is still improving. He is a far superior skater to Lambiel.

6)Somebody like me thinks otherwise is clearly narrow-minded, extremely biased, and lacking any logic.

I have no idea how you made these conclusions. For one nationality doesn't make much of a difference. Also, a lot of people right now pretty much agree that the men's field is very, very open right now...it seems like anyone could medal. Something that really confuses me with your post is why you think that we think that Lysacek has a better chance at winning than Lambiel... Everyone, even North Americans, are aware that Lambiel is the World Champion. That definitely puts the ball in his court.

Joe- it's good to hear that you think Klimkin will be in Torino, because you're usually right. *Hopes not to jinx anyone.*

Quote Originally Posted by boggartlaura

Quote Originally Posted by sluteskayafan
    You must be hanging out at all those silly and foolish skating boards (you know the ones, LOL) to get such a bad opinion of U.S. figure skating fans.

True, Michelle is the Kween, but other than that, we're not really so bad.

Anyway, I took up your challenge and did a count on this very thread:

*5 people said Lambiel has a better chance than Lysacek.

*0 people said Lysacek has a better chance than Lambiel.

* Everyone else would rather debate Klimkin versus Griazev.

MM
    Last edited by Mathman; 04-17-2005 at 04:52 PM.

Skating Freak Barbie

Well golly gee, I guess all of us hayseeds from the U.S. are transparent and stupid! Yeeeeehawww!

Oh, and go check the results so far on your poll!

I think even Plush with injuries is a huge obstacle. If he doesn't win, he doesn't win, and it will unfortunately probably be because he did not do what Klimkin and Lambiel did (taking care of injuries well enough in advance). But, of course, that said, who knows how Lambiel or Klimkin will do, if they are even there?

Speaking as someone who obviously does not belong in North America...I think Lambiel is much more likely to be a threat at the Olympics than Lysacek.......

Slutskaya21's posts bear a striking resemblance of the posts by Davey25 over at FSU.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shine
    At worlds, it was the first time Sandhu seemed to skate his LP with heart. I was pretty impressed. With a little more thoughts put it, that could be a very beautiful program.
    I actually don't want Lambiel to win the Olympics next year even though I'm his biggest fan. I have a feeling that he's the type of person who would either just turn pro or go on to pursue other interests if he wins this major title, which is the last thing I want to see happen. I really want to see him come up with two programs that will do his talent justice--he's had amazing short programs for a few seasons now, I just hope he gets a long program that's at least as good as his older ones such Chocolat and Cirque du Solei. Maybe Tosca?
    I don't see Stephane staying in the game for four more years regardless of his result. I actually think he'll remain in skating longer if he does win the OGM b/c he'll have more opportunities to do shows. I do think that if Stephane wins the OGM, he will be one of the most beloved OGMs of all time. I'm just enchanted by his delightful mannerisms and boyish delight.

This pic of Stephane and his medal sums up my feeling about him:
    http://www.absoluteskating.com/

Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    This pic of Stephane and his medal sums up my feeling about him:http://www.absoluteskating.com/
    Now if someone would just lend him a comb...
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow
    Slutskaya21's posts bear a striking resemblance of the posts by Davey25 over at FSU.
    FSU -- ah -- it is all becoming clear to me now. (See my post #24 above, LOL.)

MM

Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    I don't see Stephane staying in the game for four more years regardless of his result. I actually think he'll remain in skating longer if he does win the OGM b/c he'll have more opportunities to do shows. I do think that if Stephane wins the OGM, he will be one of the most beloved OGMs of all time. I'm just enchanted by his delightful mannerisms and boyish delight.

This pic of Stephane and his medal sums up my feeling about him:
    http://www.absoluteskating.com/
    I hope we do see more of Stephane. He's much too talented for a one year's showing

and thanks for the link. I loved the picture. It shows him with all the emotions of winning a gold medal: Happy, shy, surprised, you name some more. He has to be a nice guy!

Also I like that website. There is a link to Jamal Othmund. Check it out if you haven't seen him skate. He jumps like Johnny, and he's definitely not into shoping I met him at the airport with a delicious looking gal. I'm actually going to Euros to see him because he will never appear on ABC or ESPN and I can not download anything.

Joe

Slutskayafan21 - Your logic is, shall we say, questionable. I think it's based more on wishful thinking or just plain guessing.

However, as a fan of Sussana Poykio, and Stephane Lambiel, Ilia Klimkin and Jamal Othmund, would you consider me in the 10 per cent of Americans who disagree with that strange poll of American thought?

Joe

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast