Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: I have a feeling Stephane Lambiel could be the golden boy next year!

Custom Title
    You also have to wonder if his legs will hold out. He's only 19 and has already had two knee surgeries. Practicing jumps, especially quads and 3As, can be rough on the body. Look at Plushy--he's only 22 and has a chronic knee problem, a bad back, and has had to have two hernias repaired.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    You also have to wonder if his legs will hold out. He's only 19 and has already had two knee surgeries. Practicing jumps, especially quads and 3As, can be rough on the body. Look at Plushy--he's only 22 and has a chronic knee problem, a bad back, and has had to have two hernias repaired.
    However Lambiel took time to take care of his injuries verses Plush who kept on skating despite the injuries. I think Lambiel's (and Klimkin's) body will hold up fine for the Olympic season.

Tripping on the Podium icedancer2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shine
    That QR at 2003 Worlds was sensational. He was just so smooooth and lively. Chocolat is one of my all time favourite programs... The music, the choreography, and Lambiel skating to it--everyting about it is a just little magical, and I was an immediate fan. I still can't believe the judges had Goebel ahead of him--IMO he could have won the QR with that skate. I can only hope Stephane will live up to his "long program potential" next year.
    And while we are at it, here's Lambiel's rocking SP from the 2002 season which probably most of us missed (again from Japanese TV--how great are they?)
    http://s17.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...62VRTG23JHA71V
    Thanks for posting this -- I just LOVE this guy's music choices throughout his career and his musicality as well. I hope he continues to do well!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    It's not just goeble robbing Stephane. stephane wuzrobbed constantly. He should have beaten Joubert when they first came on the scene in Euros; he should have beaten Lindemann in Dortmund, Just my opinions, though.

But then again, he's been absent so much for injuries that no one took him seriously. Maybe things will change. Hope so.

Joe
    I agree with you. He was undermarked at both the Europeans in 2002 and 2003, where Joubert received such inflated scoring. At the 2004 Worlds he should have won his qualifying round, but was placed below a cautious Sandhu with a fall, and Joubert who took some elements out, he deserved 6th in the short where he fell, but should have been 2nd in the free behind Plushenko; overall he should have won atleast bronze, probably silver. I also agree with you about the qualifying at the 2003 Worlds, how can Goebel without a quad advantage beat Lambiel, it is crazy.

I think alot of it was not being established as far as an elite contender yet. I also think alot of it was coming from a smaller country with little political power, or importance in the sport anymore. Now that Stephane is the reigning World Champion, and is now considered by 90% of skating fans and experts as the is the best or second-best skater in the World today, I expect he will get more credit for what he delivers on the ice.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6