Anyone purchased these OVERPRICED tapes? | Golden Skate

Anyone purchased these OVERPRICED tapes?

• Thread starter CoCoNuTsiopatHic
  • Start date
C

CoCoNuTsiopatHic

Anyone purchased these OVERPRICED tapes?

www.skatetape.com

I really would love to purchase some of the tapes here, particularly 1987 Worlds, but they are so EXPENSIVE.

I mean $99 for the ladies free skate, and that doesn't even include any SPs or any other disciplines. I don't think I can afford that. I really want to see Katarina though. :( :( :(

Has anyone purchased tapes here before? What are they like? Good quality? Are they worth it? Are they TV feed or home-video from the stands?

I'd love to get 1988 Nats too--see Debi, Jill, and Caryn along with Nancy, Tonia, Tonya, and Kristi before it clicked for them.

Craig

J

jharland

Re: Anyone purchased these OVERPRICED tapes?

I've purchased a few tapes but no way would I pay $99 for just one. All the ones I've gotten are very good quality. I just got the Champions on Ice on DVD but I don't yet have a DVD player so I haven't watched them yet. Some times you can find tapes at the video stores like Sun Coast.

C

CoCoNuTsiopatHic

What is Sun Coast and what types of tapes can you find there? Is it a website or a real store?

Craig

3axel

The COI dvd set is great! It's reasonably priced and widely available
Also, that skatetape site has every figure skating tape thats ever been released, most at very reasonable prices. So if you want a NEW tape of something thats hard to find in new condition, thats a good place to look.

H

heyang

Suncoast is a video/dvd chain usually located in malls. Sometimes Barnes and Nobles and Borders have these titles, too. You can also try ebay, half.com, amazon, etc. If they don't have it on the shelf, you can ask if they can order it for you.

I purchased all 3 of the Champions on ice DVD's by ordering from a 1-800 number. I think it coast less than $60 for all 3. I also saw these dvd's advertised in IFS magazine. You can see the details at www.tenmayflower.com I haven't watched them yet.

D

dlksk8fan

I also purchased the COI dvd set. I've only watched the first two. What do ya think of them?

I

IDnurse

I have purchased a few of these tapes from video sport. I can't remember what I paid for each one, but they are expensive. The good thing about these tapes are that they are the competition video (not the TV broadcast), complete and without commentary, but marks are shown on all except the very oldest ones. It includes the entire group. So for example, the 1988 Nationals Championship Men's short program includes 20 skaters, and it shows all marks.
The 1981 Nationals Championship Men's long program has all 13 skaters, but no marks are shown in this one. It is interesting to be able to watch the entire group, and being able to make your own decision about the performance, instead of the TV commentators telling you what to think.
I purchased them in order to be able to get these old performances, and since I had not been able to find them on tape trading sites at the time, I felt it was worth the investment to add them to my video library.

P

Princess Leppard 625

<span style="color:purple;font-family:georgia;font-size:x-small;">Thanks for that information! I love watching all the skaters, and I'd like to think I'm knowledgeable enough about figure skating to be able to watch without a commentator. Especially certain commentators....

Thanks again.

Laura :) </span>

C

CoCoNuTsiopatHic

Tapes for money

So what all tape trading sites sell tapes? I've copied tapes before, but I think I may have broke off the connecter on my TV when I did it (you have no idea what I'm talking about I'm sure). Plus, most of my tapes are of less than stellar quality.

I want tapes! Tapes, tapes, tapes!

Craig

H

heyang

Re: Tapes for money

I want DVD's.

BTW, I watched some of the Champions on Ice DVD's. It contained some wonderful routines without commentary, but wish it contained more performances. MK's been touring since 1994 with Tom Collins, but only 2 of her routines are shown, only1 T&D....Most are exhibition pieces.

I'm not displeased since I've never seen some of these performances, but I'm not 100% satisfied.

D

dlksk8fan

heyang I agree with you about the COI dvd's. I would have like to see more variety in what skaters they showed. Two routines of Gary Beacon with skates on his hands ( along with his partner) was two too many.

"I'm not displeased since I've never seen some of these performances, but I'm not 100% satisfied" ITA:)

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

I love that program Gary and Gia do... very cool :lol: