American Idol:4/19 - 4/20 | Golden Skate

American Idol:4/19 - 4/20

Dante The Beagle

Rinkside
Ryan Seacrest has just confirmed on his radio show that tonight's theme is Basic Disco. :rofl: Should be interesting!! :laugh:

Will Scott Survive? Hey, maybe he'll do 'I Will Survive'! :rofl:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Should be VERY interesting.

Hmmm. Vonzell will do well with this. Will Anwar finally do something upbeat??? PLEASE Anwar do not pick through the list until you find that one disco slow song from the end of the night at the clubs.

Carrie will be wooden as usual. Bo will either come up with something WAY cool or bomb.

Constantine will mug as usual.

Can't wait to see it!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Oh boy, I love disco.............I hope someone does the BeeGees from "Saturday Night Live".........can't wait either..........42

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
GREAT SHOW! :clap: :rock: :clap: Everyone did a good job tonight. I can't decide who should go home.

Constantine - "Nights On Broadway" Not his best IMO

Anthony - "Don't Take Away the Music" This guy always seems so confident

Carrie - "Macarthur Park" I hate this song. Simon....."Barbie meets Stepford wives...leave that to Paula. :rofl: "

Anwar - "September" Finally! :clap:

Scott - "Everlasting Love" One of my very favorite songs. Excellent. I will be giving Scott some votes tonight.

Vonzell - "I'm Every Woman" She did a good job with this song

Bo - "Vehicle" :rock: :rock: :rock:

Last edited:

swannanoa54

On the Ice
My rankings:

1-Bo. My Bo is back and they're gonna be in trouble. Hey la, Hey la, my Bo is back! :clap:
2-Vonzell. Great risk with a Chaka Khan song.
3-Anwar. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
4-Carrie. Damn girl has an awesome voice.
5-Anthony. Pretty good. And he's such a cute booty shaker.
6-Scott. The only props I'll give him is that he sang on key 50 percent of the song.
7-Constantine. Take your eyeliner, pursing lips, "I'm so sexy" looks and go away. I just wanna reach in my television and grab his lips and twist. Oops, sorry, that's so mean. :rofl:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
It's all about BO! :love: :clap:

Frankly, I cannot believe how awful and off pitch Carrie was. Even more importantly, I cannot believe that not one of the judges mentioned this! I wondered whether this was due to the vocals being so totally drowned out by the background singers and instrumentals that they just couldn't hear it. Yes, she has a terrific voice but so little stage presence and this was definitely a Hideous performance with a capital "H." :p

Vonzell and Scott did a good job. :)

Constantine and Anthony were SO cruise ship. :cool:

Anwar was mediocre at best. :cool:

My bottom 2 would be Anwar and Carrie.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Enjoyed it..........that band is awesome.........I want THEIR CD.......... :)

My rankings:

1. Constantine.....he hasn't had a bad performance yet. Picks his music wisely, performs, just doesn't sing. :agree:

2. Bo..........the rocker is back. He was great, but seems to only be able to do "rock" music.......that could be a draw-back, or maybe not. I love him, though.

3. Vonzelle.......her personality is shining through and her voice gets better and better.....(I'm starting to sound like Paula).

4. Anthony.......I don't like his song choices, but the clear quality of his voice, plus that wholesome look is quite appealing.

5. Carrie........I have never liked "McArthur's Park", and she wasn't bad, but those last notes were so "screechy".

6. Scott........Nice vocals, nothing special.

7. Anwar.....He may be having fun, but his voice is still flat to my ears..... 42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Most of these performers were children during the Disco era. Somehow, I don't think any of them could relate musically to what it was all about. One could tell by the lack of talent in the dance portion. At least Anwar, had some talent in that area.

Mac Arthur Park was not a real Disco song. Just because Donna Summer made a recording, did not make it so. It was a big hit in 1978 for Richard Harris, but had already been recorded by several other artists by then. In fact, the pairs team of Jo-Jo Starbuck and Ken Shelly did a great program to the song. It was one of my favorites of all time. Talk about a great throw axel!

I did not catch the whole show, but most of the performances were not stellar by any means. Carrie murdered Mac Arthur Park. Bo sang okay, but looked uncomfortable and certainly did not carry off the disco genre. In fact, none of them did. I think that was Simon's whole point tonight.

The Diso era was shortlived and so were tonight's performances - thank goodness!!

swannanoa54

On the Ice
But it wasn't about disco. It was about 70s classic dance songs. Not everything was "disco" in the 70s. Heck, disco didn't even become a genre until '75. "Vehicle" was a classic 1970 dance song. And Bo performed it so well last night. And yep, you could dance to it.

"I'm Every Woman" isn't disco either. My 2nd favorite Chaka Khan song. Nothing disco about Chaka. No way. :rofl: And my goodness, Earth, Wind and Fire were never a disco band to me. They were so awesome.

I don't know why people always seem to equate the 70s with just disco because, believe me, we danced to way more than disco.

Now will someone please tell them to do 80s rock????? :rock:

ranjake

Final Flight
Can't help it, I just really have a crush on Constantine! I even liked the eyeliner( I used to put some on my husband/then boyfriend) for "heavy metal" concerts in the 80's!Oh, well...just call me twisted!!!

brad640

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
It's all about BO! :love: :clap:

:agree:
Bo is the best singer and performer, and he has the best style. I'm trying to find that T-shirt he wore last night for myself. According to Entertainment Weekly, the contestants get a clothing budget of $450/week, but this season many of the contestants have been going over and making up the difference with their own money. If you ask me, Fox is being cheap considering AI is the #1 show on television, but for Bo, Anwar and dearly departed Nadia it is worth it! For Carrie, I hope she can return her Desperate Stepford Wife dresses. It should help that she barely moves at all on stage because she won't have to worry about sweating on her clothes.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
ranjake said:
Can't help it, I just really have a crush on Constantine! I even liked the eyeliner( I used to put some on my husband/then boyfriend) for "heavy metal" concerts in the 80's!Oh, well...just call me twisted!!!

My daughter was MORTIFIED by Constantine's eyeliner. She kept asking, "Is HE wearing MAKE UP? Is that really MAKE UP he's wearing?!" :laugh:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I didn't even notice he was wearing eyeliner until someone pointed it out. Oh come on, it barely shows. He's an entertainer. They all wear makeup to cover up skin blotches, dark circles, zits, uneven tans, etc. Compared to the ladies, no big deal! Some of you get upset because of the negative comments about Scott, but you can rag on Constantine? :p 42

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
My rankings:

1. Bo -- Bo was back, big time! This was much closer to the kind of terrific stuff I expect from him, rather than his rather dull performance from last week.

2. Vonzell -- As a huge Chaka Khan fan, I tend to be hypercritical whenever anyone tries to do one of her songs, because, as I've said, Chaka is a True Original. But Vonzell did an excellent job, in part because this song was perfect for her range.

3. Anthony -- I actually think Anthony had the night's best PERFORMANCE, very enthusiastic and confident, but I'm marking him down a little for song choice. I don't entirely disagree with Simon's assesment of "insipid", but that has more to do with the song than the performance. Anthony is definitely finding his groove.

4. Carrie -- If she wanted to do Donna Summer, why in the world did she pick THAT song???? And did she really need to call attention to the fact that she had NO CLUE as to what she was actually singing, given her propensity towards having no emotional connection with her lyrics anyway?? I've said it before and I'll probably end up saying it again -- if she could combine her fantastic voice with an actual CONNECTION to her lyrics, she'd be incredible.

5. Constantine -- This was just OK. Not hideous, but not up to the last couple of weeks.

6. Scott -- Again, just OK. I hate this song to begin with, and someone on AI always feels compelled to drag it out every season. When critiquing him, I try to just stick to his performance and overlook the surly gangsta boy routine, but it's getting harder every week.

7. Anwar -- Better than last week, but that's not saying much IMO. He really got drowned out by the backup singers and a few times didn't even bother to try and compete with them at all. He had his usual share of flat notes, too, but not as many as usual.

CB1AB2

Medalist
=I think that Bo and Vonzell were the two top performers.
=I am not a fan of Scott's at all=but= I've got to say I liked him last night.
=Anthony gets better every week=him I liked

I think the bottom three are going to be with Anwar going home even though he's my favorite ==I wish that Scott would go=

=Constantine=didn't like his performance at all
=Carrie=that deffinitely was the wrong song to sing
=Anwar=I think he did good this week=got into the music

cb

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I thought Bo and Carrie were the only awesome performances... though Bo was really the only perfect performance... Carrie wasn't sure about the song, and it was not her genre and didn't look as comfy.

Vonzell went down a notch IMHO... and Scott sang a song that Clay NAILED and Scott just didn't do as well... so it was hard for me to get over it lol

Anwar was an early fav of mine, but he's really not bringing his "A" game anymore :(

Constantine, Scott, and Anwar are my bottom 3... Anthony did really well

Aloft04

On the Ice
Not a fan of that 80's dance music theme....

Carrie - you were as animated as a garden gnome and your discomfort was palpable and painful to watch.

Bo - you won me over! I previously thought you were only the second best rocker.You proved me wrong.

My bottom three...Carrie, Constantine (surprise), and Scott.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
SPOILER

Bottom three..........

Scott

Anthony

Anwar with Anwar going home :cry: .

Any guesses as to who goes next week? I think Anthony.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I was surprised to see Anthony in the bottom three tonight. I didn't like the way they announced Anwar going home or the way they grouped the remaining seven. What a spot to put Bo in, but he handled it well............(I hope Con and Bo shave their scraggly beards for next week.......... :p ) 42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
they pulled the "pick the group" stunt last season too... no biggie

Scott does not deserve to still be here... he should have gone LAST week... :mad: