Sasha's PR | Golden Skate

Sasha's PR

O

Ogre Mage

Sasha's PR

I have noticed a great change in the way Sasha presents herself OFF the ice this season. She is far less brash and more graceful in how she handles interviews. Do you think this is because of

1. PR lessons from Tarasova
2. She is maturing as she gets older
3. She was "humbled" after finishing 4th at the Olympics and Worlds
4. All of the above
5. Some other reason

S

sk8ing lady2001

Re: Sasha's PR

That is a great choice of words. <strong>GO SASHA!</strong> :D

G

Grgranny

I would say all the above. Welcome to the forum.

T

Truth Hurts2

yea...all of the above... i think she realizes now that fs fans like to see a consistent performer at high level competitions.. and she's starting to understand it's not that easy to win... as it is to talk-the-talk. :cool:

hey, she's getting there... changing coaches was a smart move in this case. she needed the discipline and more private ice time.

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

I think it's Tatiana Tarasova's influence. Sasha actually has a coach that she listens to now.

D

DORISPULASKI

I hope it is because she is getting older--getting experience being interviewed. The USFSA really should give the elite skaters a seminar on how to be interviewed when they are first recognized as up and comers and before they can make fools of themselves on TV. Most people are not born with this
skill!

I am so glad to see Sasha gaining it. I doubt TT is the source of the improvement. I don't recall TT as top of the trees as an interviewee. Does anyone else?

Dpp

J

Jimmy Hoffa 2

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I doubt TT is the source of the improvement. I don't recall TT as top of the trees as an interviewee.[/quote]
Oh I don't know, she worked some wonders with Yagudin a few years ago. If she can do that, I'm sure she can get Cohen to be more gracious in public.

T

Tejada1981

The USFSA holds an annual camp for up and comers and one of the classes is all about handling interviews. Sasha attended this camp in 2000 actually.

R

rgirl181

A seminar is one thing and a good thing, sure, but there's nothing like experience. I can remember skaters who are now thought of as the epitome of gracious presence saying some pretty stupid things when they were younger and first being recognized. I also think Nick's attitude toward PR was somewhat irreverent. In the <em>Vogue</em> interview, Nicks talks about how he gets tired of all these perfect little girls saying perfect little things and that he had a playful fondness for goofing with the media. Unfortunately, the media wasn't focused on Nicks, they were focused on Cohen and the fans and the media <strong>do</strong> like to see perfect girls saying perfect things. (Most do anyway.) I think it's a combination of experience, maturity, and influence not only by Tarasova, but by the other skaters TT coaches. A lot of them are in or have been in the same position as Cohen, and I'm sure there is a "learn from one's peers" atmosphere. I liked the more outspoken Sasha of last year, but I think she will do better in the whole figure skating system if she continues in the mode of being more restrained, as she has over the past four-five months.
Rgirl

S

spyralz

I think she just has more maturity and experience now that she has competed internationally more, has been to the olympics, etc. I think that she also probably has been helped by coaches and maybe others but, as someone else says experience is invaluable.

~Spyralz:)

P

Pather2000

I noticed the Improvement almost right away. & You can better belive that TT has pulled her back some. Sasha's problem before with Nick's was that She was running the show. I remember reading or hearing him talk about them having fights all the time. He had no real control over his skater. Hence her performances showed it. & So did her interviews. Speaking your mind is great when you backup your words. She never did outside of 1 skates at nationals last year. her it's all about me always showed through in ther interviews, & her skating. She always had artistic style. But, the arrogance was blinding. Her fourth place finish at SLC & Nagano was what she needed to get her act together. Now, she is willing to listen & learn. & TT is the perfect person to teach her.

D

Dee4707

I know when Sasha switched to Tatianna, people were wondering who would run the show. I always had my money on Tatianna. If she could reign in Alexei, then she certainly could do so with Sasha.

IMHO, it has been a wonderful move for Sasha. As an example of who is boss, at the Cup of Russia, Sasha was very excited over her performance and while in the K&C area, Sasha was talking and saying her hello's and kind of getting all excited and Tatianna told her to breathe. You could see Sasha settle down immediately and started breathing. I think it was probably a tug of war at the beginning but I think that Sasha is grateful to Tatianna. As she has said in her interviews, Tatianna has taken her to another level and that's where she needed to be.

I am rooting for Sasha at Nationals. You go girl!!!!!

Dee

L

LADSKATER

I think it's probably maturity and she expressed her love for travel at Skate Canada - you know the old saying about "broadening ones horizons" through travel.

Ladskater

R

rgirl181

I wouldn't take Nicks's comments about Sasha from last year very seriously. Nicks is a very smart, very droll man. He wouldn't talk about fights with a skater if that skater were really "running the show." I think that was Nicks's whole point about talking in the Vogue article about his fondness for playing with the media and being tired of the "perfect little girls in pink dresses" image of figure skaters. Unfortunately, I think that only Nicks and Sasha understood his irreverence and that the whole thing backfired by making Sasha look like a spoiled brat rather than spunky and outspoken. Nicks has been coaching long enough, has the personality type, and is at an age where he was tired of the status quo in skating PR, but the status quo is what works. People I know who actually observed Nicks and Cohen working together said Nicks was clearly in control. But a successful coach-skater relationship is about a lot more than control. I think Tarasova definitely was a good coaching move for Cohen, but I don't think Sasha is conducting herself very differently from how she did last season. Last season she was cast in the role of Cruella deCohen, so even standard skater "I want to skate my best and win" stuff came across as brash and self-absorbed. Not that Sasha isn't brash and self-absorbed, but this season I think just the association with Tarasova changed a lot of people's perceptions of Sasha. This is just the way I see it, of course, but then I think the most accurate reflection of what really goes on in skating is "The Larry Sanders Show":cool:
Rgirl

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:green;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">Sasha's PR? Look over a couple of threads: that dress, which Sasha has described in detail on her own web site, has thus far created 42 posts and 1141 views! And that's just on OUR board! Now THAT'S PR!</span>:D :lol:

C

CB1AB2

I think all the things you mentioned are correct and I also think that the move to TT is probably the best thing of . You can see a change in her appearance=attitude. Her costumes are so much more professional looking. Her skating has deffinitely improved. I think the change has improved every aspect of her as a person on and off the ice.

cb

N

NanSinger2

I know she is improving and her best is yet to come. She hasn't been my cup of tea in the past, but I think she will grow on me.