Meet Sasha Cohen This Saturday | Golden Skate

Meet Sasha Cohen This Saturday

IDLERACER

Medalist
For people who live in or around Los Angeles (or are willing to do a little driving). The annual Los Angeles Times Festival Of Books will take place at UCLA's Dickinson Plaza this Saturday, April 23rd. Sasha Cohen will hold court at the Target Children's Stage from 12:20 to 12:50 PM, reading some excerpts from her new book "Fire On Ice." Afterwords, she will presumably be autographing copies of it, for anyone who is interested.

Other celebrities on hand will be Jason Alexander (reading excerpts from his new children's book at 11:05), Carl Reiner, June (Rocky Squirrel) Foray, and Beach Boy Al Jardine. The proccedings are all free to the public, but arrive early to get a decent parking space.

For a complete schedule, click HERE
:clap:

soogar

Record Breaker
BRAD!!! I LOVE YOUR PODIUM!!!!!!!

Though I would put Li in that 3rd spot over Wier.

I haven't read Sasha's book b/c none of my bookstores (Borders and B&N) carry it. I was hoping to read it with coffee and cake :(. I think the bookstores will stock the book during the Olympic season when they can move more copies.

brad640

On the Ice
Thanks soogar!! I am definitely in support of Li. I may try to add my top ten so most of my favorites will be represented.

IDLERACER

Medalist
I should also point out that by participating in this, she will literally be returning to her roots...She was born at U.C.L.A. medical center.

aviva_dawn

On the Ice
(Note: This was originally posted on www.sashafans.com by me, so I thought that I'd copy over what I wrote rather than rewrite something else. I'm sorry that I didn't mention any other skating sites when I talked to Sasha, but I was practicing my message from SashaFans a gazillion times in my head and wasn't thinking about anything else. Next time that I meet her I'll mention Goldenskate, I promise!)

I did go to the Festival of Books and I met Sasha! This is my report.

I went and I was one of the first people in line, like maybe third.( obsessed fan that I am.I was a tall black girl/woman wearing shorts and a blue sweater. ) to have my book signed. There was this lady in line who is a rabid Sasha fan ( and was at every world championship from 1995-2003 and goes to COI and SOI everytime it comes to Southern California). She's not a member here (yet.) and I told her about this site and I hope that she joins.
About Sasha:
I was surprised at how small she is. She wore her hair down and I can't remember exactly what she was wearing. But she looked great. First she signed about fifteen hardback copies of her book while these men with huge cameras snapped picture after picture of her. ( who those books or those pictures were for, I have no clue......) and then each person ( or group....there were a lot of families who brought their kids to meet Sasha and sign their books) came up to have their books signed. One of the girls even brought her skates to be signed by Sasha! Of course, the rules were :

book signing only
2 books per person.
no memorabilia
no photos

so obviously the mom of the girl with the skates never brought them out.

Sasha was really nice and spoke to these two little girls who I let go ahead of me saying something like

"There's a lot of interesting stuff in this book".

When it was my turn Sasha signed my book and I said:

"Everyone at Sashafans.com says hi".

She smiled broadly and said:

"Tell them all that I said hello!"

So there's a message from Sasha to everyone.

I got to the Target stage area around 10:15. The line started about 11:20 am. Sasha came to sign about 11:45 am. I left immediately after I got my book signed. At the time that I left, the line was pretty long ( about 20 minute wait.)

All in all, I had a good day. I read her book during the train ride home. It was extremely interesting.

IDLERACER

Medalist
aviva_dawn said:
I went and I was one of the first people in line, like maybe third.( obsessed fan that I am.I was a tall black girl/woman wearing shorts and a blue sweater) I was surprised at how small she is. She wore her hair down and I can't remember exactly what she was wearing
So that was you, eh? :biggrin: I was there too. If I may refresh your memory, she wore bluejeans and a tight white shirt that had a strap accross the top. It looks like you forgot to adjust your watch for daylight savings time. She actually started signing at around 12:45.

She was supposed to have gotten there at 12:20, but apparently got caught in traffic and was 10 minutes late, which was O.K, because she didn't look to comfortable reading in front of an audience anyway. Obviously signing autographs is what she really enjoys, so it's good that her stage time was cut down to about 15 minutes. Well, at least now I know what was thinking about just before performing her olympic short program (that was the section of the book she chose to read).

I was impressed that she managed to attract a line that was noticibly longer than Jason Alexander's (he was there signing autographs about a half hour earlier). No question about it. If her skating career were to dry up tomorrow, she could still rake in a fortune, working as a petite fashion model. The woman is drop-dead gorgeous (as are most skaters). :agree:

aviva_dawn

On the Ice
I just checked my watch and alas, I never turned it for DST...... :)
I did arrive before Mr. Alexander took to the stage. The line for him was something to behold ( He earned a mighty cheer from the audience when he was announced and came onto the stage for his reading.), but from what I could see as I was leaving after Sasha signed my book, her line was of an impressive length as well.

I am curious as to who those 3 piles of books that she signed as soon as she sat down are meant for...... :cool:

Aww. A cutie and an author at 21.

I'm $ure her agent mu$t be thrilled with $a$ha'$ writing $kill$. ;)

In certain areas of NYC, you tend to see a lot of "media folk." It never ceases to amaze me how some people absolutely knock you out in person in a way they never do in photos and vice versa. The camera truly loves some people whereas for some people, nothing does justice to their looks like the eye.

Rgirl

P.S. Brad, add me to the list of those who think your podium siggy :rock: !!!