Springtime Skating | Golden Skate

Springtime Skating

icy fresh

On the Ice
I haven't really posted much lately because I've been training a lot more, but now I don't have school this week so I can post it up! Anyway, just checking in to see how everyone's skating is going. Hope all is well!

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
Not me! :cry: Rink closed on Sunday until September 6, so if I wanna skate, I gotta go North (to The Pond-1 1/2 hours by car).

icy fresh

On the Ice
Aww, I'm so sorry about your rink being closed. At least it'll open up again. Why did it close anyway? Is it seasonal?

Well, my skating is going okay. My program is finished now *sigh*. I was supposed to compete with it on Friday April 22, but my flight got cancelled. :( So I was really upset, but at least it gave me time this week to focus on jumps, spins, moves, and dance. Also it took a little of the pressure off practices, but I have another competition in mid-May, so I'll have to keep up the program work. My double jumps are being really frusturating lately and it's just a really hard time. It's probably the hardest time in my skating so far, but I know that once I jump over this hurdle that it will all be worth it.

If I want to take my Intermediate moves next month, I'm going to have to spend a lotta time on them, but I'm willing to put in the hours! I forgot to tell everyone that I'm now doing a Theatre on Ice type thing! It's really fun. We're putting on an ensemble number for the club show and I'm the main role. Although it's a team sport, we're doing a song from a musical and I'm the lead from that play. It's fun, but it's a lot of work. I'm learning a whole new program basically because I don't skate with the team, I'm my own little thing.

Anyways, I'm just really tired. I've been training so many hours lately. I hope that everyone is doing well in their skating! Skate@Delaware- my prayers for you to skate! God Bless!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I've been practicing, for my pre-bronze test. My coach says everything looks good but my inside 3-turns, so I need more practice on them.

icy fresh

On the Ice
Good luck on your test, dlkksk8fan, whenever you take it. I'm sure you'll do fine! The only advice I have is to practice them! Those were probably the hardest move for me when I took Preliminary awhile back.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
The only three turn I have a problem with is the left forward inside three turn. I have a hard time getting on that left outside edge.

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
Our rink closes for the summer. One day we might be lucky and have a year-round rink.

Right-forward inside 3's are my nemesis!

icy fresh

On the Ice
I'm so sorry once again, Skate@Delaware.
About left forward inside 3s, if you are all counter-clockwise spinners, like myself, they're probably harder than left ones because you have to turn to the "right", where as us counter-clockwisers spin to the left.

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
icy_fresh said:
I'm so sorry once again, Skate@Delaware.
About left forward inside 3s, if you are all counter-clockwise spinners, like myself, they're probably harder than left ones because you have to turn to the "right", where as us counter-clockwisers spin to the left.

About 50 of us are sorry at the end of the Spring Show when it closes! Last summer I had PIC skates, but was no where good enough to do any more than skate forwards...and my local roller rink was adult-unfriendly. The other roller rink wasn't open yet (roof collapse over winter ruined floor). They are open now and I'm in the process of mounting my PIC frames to my old ice skate boots.

That explains why stuff to the right is always 5 shades worse than stuff to the left, except my forward outside 3's which are ok enough not to be an embarrassment.....Like to do stuff to the left...Even driving! Anyone else experience that?

singerskates

On the Ice
My club still has ice but we had a three week break just before Adult Canadians which made me have to scramble for ice time so I could get ready to compete in them. It turned out not to be enough because I had two injuries going on; right rotator cuff and left over use/pinched nerve shoulder. I had a hard time controlling jump and spin enteries and exists. My injuries still have not totally healed but I'm able to controll my jumps and spins better now. But I still skated better than last year in my freeskate event, landing all my combination jumps, all jumps upto loop clean and fully rotated lutz but two footed at Adult Canadians. My flip was my final jump and I messed it up royally because of the reaction the audience gave me when I landed the loop clean coming out of fast footwork. By then my consentration was gone and I was too excited. That was enough to end up 7th out of 8. The top 6 had 4 combination jumps or more and repeated jumps more than once or twice. I was out jumped.

We've got ice three days a week for senior skaters and junior skaters have ice twice a week.

I'm the only adult figure skater at my club but there is one adult hockey drills/power skater. Both of us are women. If you happen to live in the Windsor/Tecumseh Ontario Canada Area and are looking for for a club with which ti skate, please PM me.

Right now, I'm working on my jump landings trying to clean them up because I have full rotation up to the lutz but I two foot my flip and lutz. Plus for the axel I need to learn to pull my free side up more than once, once of the right (taking off ) and twice on the left (once during conversion in air and once on landing). So I really need to cllean up my act. No more sloopy jumps. I'm also working on perfecting my backspin and getting my camel spin going. All this so I can pass my prelim test at the end of spring skating school.

For fall, I have to work on the positioning of my layback spin, get my sitspin on both feet at 90 degrees., have a sit change sit spin, try to get my free leg up higher in my catch foot spin, work on the axel and double salchow and flying spins for the 2005/2006 season. But I just may keep on competing at the prelim level even though, I will have junior bronze elements. Then spring of 2006 I want to try taking my junior bronze FS test. Some time I need to take my skills and finish the rest of my prelim and all of my junior bronze dances. I plan on becoming a skating coach someday.

Brigitte

Ok, I'm sorry for going on and on.

Last edited:

icy fresh

On the Ice
singerskates said:

Don't worry about it. I love hearing how other people's skating is going. It's amazing you're very goal-oriented. I'm sort of of the same way. I'm always making up new goals for myself. I wish you luck on achieving all of your goals. You seem like the just person who can accomplish them, though!!

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
I like to keep a journal--when I get down on myself for lack of progress I can look back and see how far I've really come since starting (last year). That tends to put things back in perspective. It also lets me know when it's time to work on the basics again. I also keep track of my skate times, sharpenings, interesting things that happen, milestones, etc.

I'm getting ready to call my coach and set up some training for summer. We sort of agreed on lessons twice a month-just to keep us going. Because of the drive we don't want to do weekly. Off-ice starts in May in my rink, which I am glad (it will be weird to see it with no ice). But, I really needed the break. Between the show, work, and getting pneumonia, things really got caught up.

I'm trying to get my kids to take me skating Mother's Day instead of brunch. :biggrin:

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
Just wanted to let you know-my daughter, her friend and I went skating yesterday. We were up north for an audition so we took our skates and went to The Pond (just down the street from the audition site).

It was great! There were only about 12 people there (we were on the NHL rink) and everyone behaved-even the hockey kids. We were able to do our jumps and spins and everything. I should have done some 3-turns and mohawks, but worked on back crossovers and spins.....Hey, a gir's gotta have fun!

I'm not sure if I'll get to go skating before the Adult workshop at Aston this Saturday, but I think I'll be ok-once I got on the ice, it took about 20 minutes to get 'the feel' of it.
I'm glad everyone gets more ice time than me, but I'm thankful for what little I can grab.

Terry

jp1andonly

Rinkside
ummm...the lutz wasn't fully rotated, but it was a good try. Do you have a video of how you skated? Hve an outside person do an honest judgement of it. I find that works well.

You were out skated, not out jumped. Work on making what you do stronger and you will do better.

singerskates said:
My club still has ice but we had a three week break just before Adult Canadians which made me have to scramble for ice time so I could get ready to compete in them. It turned out not to be enough because I had two injuries going on; right rotator cuff and left over use/pinched nerve shoulder. I had a hard time controlling jump and spin enteries and exists. My injuries still have not totally healed but I'm able to controll my jumps and spins better now. But I still skated better than last year in my freeskate event, landing all my combination jumps, all jumps upto loop clean and fully rotated lutz but two footed at Adult Canadians. My flip was my final jump and I messed it up royally because of the reaction the audience gave me when I landed the loop clean coming out of fast footwork. By then my consentration was gone and I was too excited. That was enough to end up 7th out of 8. The top 6 had 4 combination jumps or more and repeated jumps more than once or twice. I was out jumped.

We've got ice three days a week for senior skaters and junior skaters have ice twice a week.

I'm the only adult figure skater at my club but there is one adult hockey drills/power skater. Both of us are women. If you happen to live in the Windsor/Tecumseh Ontario Canada Area and are looking for for a club with which ti skate, please PM me.

Right now, I'm working on my jump landings trying to clean them up because I have full rotation up to the lutz but I two foot my flip and lutz. Plus for the axel I need to learn to pull my free side up more than once, once of the right (taking off ) and twice on the left (once during conversion in air and once on landing). So I really need to cllean up my act. No more sloopy jumps. I'm also working on perfecting my backspin and getting my camel spin going. All this so I can pass my prelim test at the end of spring skating school.

For fall, I have to work on the positioning of my layback spin, get my sitspin on both feet at 90 degrees., have a sit change sit spin, try to get my free leg up higher in my catch foot spin, work on the axel and double salchow and flying spins for the 2005/2006 season. But I just may keep on competing at the prelim level even though, I will have junior bronze elements. Then spring of 2006 I want to try taking my junior bronze FS test. Some time I need to take my skills and finish the rest of my prelim and all of my junior bronze dances. I plan on becoming a skating coach someday.

Brigitte

icy fresh

On the Ice
My club's show is coming up, I am so nervous. I'm doing 3 numbers. Then the day after, I have a competition.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Sorry to not have posted, but I've gone from full time to consulting, back to full time work again in the past two months.

Had my home rink competition (ISI) this past weekend, skating footwork, artistic, two solo ice dances and interpretive. I'm proud to say it was my best comp ever. I skated relaxed and confident, and the work I've done in ice dance and on my basic skating really shined through according to my coach. For the first time, I placed first over my usual younger competitor (a dear friend) in a serious program, namely footwork. It was a milestone for me--it wasn't so much the placement, just the fact that I managed to skate so well to finally achieve the placement. I finally seem to have gotten over my intense competition nerves, and my edging, speed and flow are light years beyond what they were last fall. Bring on the Halloween Classic n October!!!! :rock:

icy_ fresh: How did your exhibition go?:

icy fresh

On the Ice
Yazmeen, congrats on your competition!
Hey all! Thanks for all of the interest. The exhibition is on Friday and my competition got cancelled. It's the second one this season that has gotten cancelled on me. Last time, it was at the end of April. So I'm upset, but at least it will give me more time to work on my program.