Vacation Bible School Help!!! | Golden Skate

Vacation Bible School Help!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ok so this year the church is doing "Ramblin Road Trip" and so we're going across the US in a motorhome LOL

anyway here's the "stops" for the week
http://www.lifeway.com/yourvbs/overview.aspx

now where can I go to get neat little graphics I can use to decorate the walls? I, of course, will use the paper dolls from makingfriends.com like I did last year, but other than that... I need an idea for an over all theme of my mom's room (she's doing the 3/4 year olds again) as well as an idea on what to do for each city!

1st day: Wash. DC (obviously patriotic and the white house... wheeee G. Bush decor!)
2nd day: Chicago (I was thinking Baseball or Oprah[jk])
3rd day: Lebanon, KS (Wizard of Oz type stuff perhaps???)
4th day: Yellowstone (this will be fun and easy)
5th day: Knott's Berry Farm (ok I have heard of this place, but what is it?)

any sites with decorations that I can make and not buy would be great!!!

brad640

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
2nd day: Chicago (I was thinking Baseball or Oprah[jk])

Are you saying you are joking that you would consider including Oprah in your program? She is an important part of Chicago history. I don't understand your post.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yes I was joking LOL Oprah really doesn't tie into the theme of Vacation Bible School. I won't get into a debate over religion or anything, needless to say that she doesn't look well on the Southern Baptist Convention (she says she's baptist, but I don't think she's SBC) and they don't really care for her beliefs either LOL

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Does just because she is not a SB mean she is not considered a good role model? I use her as an example for my girls all the time and consider her an excellent role model especially for girls. The work she has done through her angel network and with AIDS victims in Afica alone should more than compensate for her being of a different faith. I don't think you can find a more spiritual person or a better example of true Christian values than Oprah so I am very confused here.

Now back to your question. For Chicago you could go for some of the famous landmarks or a cityscape/skyline cut out of cardboard, painted black, and outlined in clear Christmas lights. Deepdish pizza and jazz music also are very "Chicago". I don't guess dressing up as Roxie or Velma and the "Cellblock Tango" are options? ;) :p :biggrin: Come on Toni you have to have SOMETHING to counteract the George W decor.

KBF located in California is an amusement park that IIRC started out as a berry farm/restaurant.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Piel - no one debates that she isn't a good role model... however her beliefs differ very strongly, and yeah LOL *should have known that would get me in trouble*

honestly I doubt that other than a photo of the president we will have much on Mr. Bush. While he is known for his religious views and what not, he--like Oprah--isn't exactly a Bible hero... which is really what we're there to teach. I think we will end up forgoing much of my ideas (hey I wanted to do a Wizard of Oz theme for our entire room but Witches scare little kids and mom said no [and again the whole play down the fun stuff get to the biblical ha ha!!!])

ok so KBF is an amusement park so....................................... hmmmmmmmmm

I think I want to also decorate the hallway that goes into the classroom... maybe do some wheat fields on one part and purple mountains majesty on the other...

*sigh* I know my mom will freak because I will "overwhelm" the kids, but oh well...

for Kansas I guess Sunflowers work best?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Hmmm.............................................W(George) or WW(Wicked Witch)....which witch is which? Guess who I think is scarier?

My GS day camp theme is "Mystery on the Orient Express". Each day we are doing a different European city on the route of the Orient Express. The girls will gather clues along the way to solve our mystery. Very similar to what you are doing at VBS. This must be the year for travel themes.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Piel said:
Hmmm.............................................W(George) or WW(Wicked Witch)....which witch is which? Guess who I think is scarier?
It's a good thing I like you ;) :p :laugh:

My GS day camp theme is "Mystery on the Orient Express". Each day we are doing a different European city on the route of the Orient Express. The girls will gather clues along the way to solve our mystery. Very similar to what you are doing at VBS. This must be the year for travel themes.

We "were in Japan" last year... It was so much fun... the year before we were in London... talk about hard to come up with an interesting theme for toddlers... they weren't getting it at all... even with the whole sherlock holmes type theme... super slueths they were not :laugh:

Lynn, haven't checked the link yet, but I do know there are materials, and we have them, but they are sooooooooooo lame

Blue Bead

Medalist
Since this is a vacation Bible school thing, for Kansas why not investigate the old prairie churches where both the sod busters and cattelmen worshiped in times of feast and famine. I did a quick "google search" on 'prairie chuches Kansas old west' and turned up a number of entries. You could use pictures of vast expanses of ripened wheat fields and cattle grazing beside stone churches. Maybe explain to the kids how important churches were to the people who lived in Kansas in the 1800's when the sod busters crops failed. Just an idea.....

Blue Bead

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Lebanon is the geographical center of the conterminous U. S. Sumner county is the wheat capitol. Wichita is the air capitol of the U. S. Also know for the Coleman Company. Coleman has an outlet store downtown Wichita. The first baseball game at night was lit by coleman in Wichita. There's still a station used by the mailmen on horses somewhere. The bar where Carrie Nation chopped it up is at the Eaton Hotel on Douglas St. in Wichita. Liberal has the yellow brick road, etc. about the Wizard of Oz. There's a place Caney where the Little House on the Prairie people lived. Quinter has a place where you can do trips in covered wagons, etc. Wichita has a place called Cowtown and they have moved all kinds of old buildings that were used as Dr. Offices, fire station, churches, blacksmiths, etc. It is very interesting. They have added a farm. In May, starting Mother's Day weekend, there is a 9 or 10 day River Festival with a lot of things going on. We used to set up at the art fair on Mother's Day weekend. Abilene has the library of President Eisenhower. There's also a Russell Stover candy factory and outlet. They say you can eat all the candy you want for free. I haven't been there - yet. Driving through the Flint Hills is quite interesting. There's also an Indian Center (museum) in Wichita.
Russell is where Bob Dole is from. Dodge City has all that Boot Hill stuff. I think it's some time in August they have a lot of stuff going on. Train robbery, Front St., craft show, rodeos, many things going on. Get reservations early for campsites.

Last edited:

brad640

On the Ice
oprah.jpg

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
that photo is scary!

Blue Bead, that is an interesting idea and I just might use it... will have to run it by my mom first (not that I listen to her or anything)...

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Toni, you will love "Knottsberry Farm". On the same street, you have to see "Medevial Times" and the famous "Wax Museum"...................They are all within walking distance from each other.......42

brad640 said:

Wow, Brad! And here I thought I was the only one to whom Oprah appeared in that form on a regular basis. And you should hear the things she tells me to do!

Toni,
Neato trip, but all those place in five days? Yikes! Did you ever see that '60s movie "If It's Tuesday It Must Be Belgium"?

Seriously, have a great time and take in as much as you can of this great crossection of America.:)

Rgirl

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
It's not a real trip. The cities/places are the themes for that day.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Opps, guess I should have read the beginning of the thread better. I saw the words "Knottsberry Farm" and got excited...........maybe Toni can add those places on her imaginary vacation......... ;) 42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Piel said:
It's not a real trip. The cities/places are the themes for that day.

yup!!! so glad I didn't confuse everyone!!! :)

besides, if I were taking a trip I wouldn't be going to Chicago OR Kansas... and would hit Nashville and Disney World instead ;)